Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Exciting Is This?

Re: How Exciting Is This?

Definately buying mlb.com game package this year! Have my first spring training tickets for March 1.

2. Likes:

goldglover9 (01-28-2020),goreds2 (01-28-2020),Kingspoint (01-28-2020),North (01-28-2020),Ron Madden (01-28-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Not being negative in any way. This is an incredible offseason. Dick and Nick have the national media predicting our Reds as the front runners! But I can't help comparing for fun. In another universe the Reds lineup might have been:
    Shogo CF
    Votto 1b
    Suarez 3b
    Grandal C
    Aquino Rf
    Winker/Ervin Lf
    Gregorious SS
    Senzel 2b

At first glance that feels more complete and would have had the potential to be better with no holes. But on closer look it's thin. It would have depended on Shogo transitioning well, Senzel's health, and Aquino proving he's not a flash in the pan.

The current lineup with Moose and Castellanos has more depth and insurance. The depth in the outfield means we don't have to bet all our eggs on Aquino's August performance and Shogo successfully transitioning. Without Moose we'd be depending on Senzel's health and/or JVM development. Plan B has given Bell 9 good hitters to rotate thru 6 positions and put them in positions to succeed and keep them fresh. (I'm assuming Aquino/Senzel/Ervin are all on the team.) Feels a little like LA Dodgers last couple years. Galvis and Barnhart/Casali aren't exactly black holes. We know what we'll get from them. Good defense and an OPS in the .700's. I think I like the current "high depth" plan better than the plan A with Grandal and Gregorious.

Been as an exciting offseason as I can remember in a long time.
    Chris Sabo is my All-Time favorite Red

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    Getting Jr Griffey was probably the most excited I’ve been for a player move But I’m pretty damn excited about these moves
    Tom Seaver trade was the one for me. (1977 trade deadline)
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

7. Likes:

bagz (02-08-2020),cumberlandreds (01-30-2020),RedlegJake (01-28-2020),smixsell (02-08-2020)

I was beyond excited when the Reds got Griffey Jr. Easily the biggest, most celebrated sports transaction in my lifetime. Yes I know he wasn't our savior.

If I was living there, I would definitely make sure I had, at least, the minimum season ticket package that gauranteed me a playoff seat in a place I would want to sit for the playoffs. Though in '95 it was no problem getting playoff tickets where I wanted to sit. I was told around town that this was due to apathy leftover from the strike and that REDS fans were a lot harder to win back than other cities (it didn't help that they got totally screwed by the strike). Wonder if the apathy from years of abusing the fans this time will have a similar effect with good seats available for walking up and buying on the date of the playoffs?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

10. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    Getting Jr Griffey was probably the most excited I’ve been for a player move But I’m pretty damn excited about these moves
    This is the feeling you would have had if the Reds then added talent around KGJ to leverage his presence.

How u doin

Single handedly the best offseason of my life time.

I was feeling great until Suarez decided to go swimming.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

14. Likes:

Boss-Hog (01-31-2020),goldglover9 (01-30-2020),goreds2 (01-29-2020),JarrodOnVinyl (01-29-2020),North (01-30-2020),RedsBrick (01-29-2020),Tom Servo (01-28-2020),wheels (01-30-2020)

Fun and Exciting off seasons from the past that I can remember:

1992: They add Greg Swindell, Tim Belcher, Scott Bankhead, Scott Ruskin, and Leon "Bip" Roberts.

Result: The Nasty Boys weren't quite as nasty as they wanted to be and finished with 90 wins. Not good enough to tame the Great Braves Virus of 1990's.

1999: Denny Neagle, Greg Vaughn and a handful of good bench players came in and they won 96 games. Still not good enough.

2000: Griffey

I just can't let myself get excited again. I need to guard against it.

Being surprised is better than meeting expectations. I want this coming season to surprise me, therefore, I am not excited and I expect bitter disappointment.

It's the only sane way to deal with Cincinnati sports franchises.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

16. Likes:

Bob Sheed (01-30-2020),dfs (01-31-2020),North (01-30-2020)

I was once more excited when I thought i was getting a go-cart for Christmas only to be disappointed with socks instead, but they were nice socks that matched my jammies. My business suit jammies at that!

This should get everyone stoked. Wooooo Yeahhhh !!!!!!!!! (Put on some ear buds and crank up the sound)

Last edited by goreds2; 02-07-2020 at 07:00 PM. Reason: add comment
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

19. Likes:

bagz (02-08-2020),Rdirtypirates (02-07-2020),RED VAN HOT (02-07-2020),Redhook (02-07-2020),RedTeamGo! (02-08-2020),Ron Madden (02-07-2020),smixsell (02-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    If I was living there, I would definitely make sure I had, at least, the minimum season ticket package that gauranteed me a playoff seat in a place I would want to sit for the playoffs. Though in '95 it was no problem getting playoff tickets where I wanted to sit. I was told around town that this was due to apathy leftover from the strike and that REDS fans were a lot harder to win back than other cities (it didn't help that they got totally screwed by the strike). Wonder if the apathy from years of abusing the fans this time will have a similar effect with good seats available for walking up and buying on the date of the playoffs?
    do you by any chance remember hearing about the ticket sales for the 1999 "play-in game" against the mets? reds had one day to sell tickets to the 40,000 or so non-season ticket holders at cinergy field (aka riverfront). they sold out within 2-3 hours. 40K tickets in walk-up sales in the matter of a few hours. incredible.

cincinnati is a baseball town and always will be.

21. Likes:

Bob Sheed (02-07-2020),goreds2 (02-08-2020),Ron Madden (02-07-2020)

How Exciting Is This?

Love the preview, when does the movie start?!!!

Popcorn and beer ready.

I hope the 2020 Rise of the Big Red Machine will be more satisfying than the Rise of Skywalker.
    Last edited by SomeCallMeTim; 02-07-2020 at 08:13 PM.

23. Likes:

goreds2 (02-08-2020),smixsell (02-08-2020)

Gotta admit. I'm pretty hyped.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

25. Likes:

goreds2 (02-08-2020),Old school 1983 (02-08-2020),Revering4Blue (02-17-2020)

Turn Off Ads?