Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dusty Baker is the new Astros Manager

Re: Dusty Baker is the new Astros Manager

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    If the Reds had a decent post-season manager in 2012, those Giants would've won 2 World Series in 5 years, not three. 2008-2009, those Reds teams were under .500. So what happened? They started winning because they had talent maturing. I'm of the opinion that the personnel made the teams in 2010, 2012 and 2013 winners, not the manager.

You're going to find very few Reds fans that believe the Giants had a better team than the Reds in 2012. The manager is the reason we lost.
    If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle

2. Likes:

Always Red (01-28-2020),Kilgore_Trout (01-28-2020),M2 (01-28-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Weird that an analytical team like the Astros would hire one of the most anti analytical managers in mlb
    Perhaps an old dog can learn new tricks.

Conversely there is a school of thought out there that lineups don't matter. Would it be so bad for the Astros if Springer leads off and Correa bats 2nd? I know Dusty loves to bunt. If Springer gets on do you really think he's going to ask Correa to drop down a bunt? I would think that even the most old school of managers will let him swing away. We have seen from his tenure here that he won't let pitchers throw 120 pitches any more. I wonder, though, if he will have as quick a hook as most managers do these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Corey Patterson putting some fresh oil on his glove.

6. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-28-2020),Redeyecat (01-28-2020)

If the Reds had a decent post-season manager in 2012, those Giants would've won 2 World Series in 5 years, not three. 2008-2009, those Reds teams were under .500. So what happened? They started winning because they had talent maturing. I'm of the opinion that the personnel made the teams in 2010, 2012 and 2013 winners, not the manager.

You're going to find very few Reds fans that believe the Giants had a better team than the Reds in 2012. The manager is the reason we lost.
    Were the Giants a postseason juggernaut from 2010-2014? The answer is yes. Nobody beat them in those years. In fact, the Reds came as close to anyone to doing it, and that was after losing their ace pitcher in the first inning of Game 1. Did Dusty Baker pull Johnny Cueto's oblique muscle? Did he boot the ball that cost them game 3? Did he leave 11 guys on base in Game 5?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

REDREAD (01-31-2020)

I am so happy for Dusty.. He's a great manager and a class act.

The only problem is that I really can't hate the Astros anymore.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

10. Likes:

Chip R (01-29-2020),Tommyjohn25 (01-30-2020)

Happy for Dusty, but man... I’m conflicted now.

The Taubman and/or sign stealing scandals have seriously soured me on the Astros and a number of their players.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

12. Likes:

Chip R (01-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Were the Giants a postseason juggernaut from 2010-2014? The answer is yes. Nobody beat them in those years. In fact, the Reds came as close to anyone to doing it, and that was after losing their ace pitcher in the first inning of Game 1. Did Dusty Baker pull Johnny Cueto's oblique muscle? Did he boot the ball that cost them game 3? Did he leave 11 guys on base in Game 5?
    Did he leave Latos in to give up 7 runs in 4 innings in game 5? Yeah
    Did he bench Todd Frazier, who had as much to do with the Reds success as anyone else that season, in favor of over the hill Scott Rolen? Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Or about to hit some fungo for fielding practice.

I can't think of any other manager, aside from Yankees I guess, that has only headed to knowingly successful teams.

Dusty makes sure he is heading into a golden situation. I'll enjoy seeing him lose in the playoffs again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Dude, it's 2020. Not cool
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

16. Likes:

64red (01-30-2020),foster15 (01-28-2020)

Did he leave Latos in to give up 7 runs in 4 innings in game 5? Yeah
    Did he bench Todd Frazier, who had as much to do with the Reds success as anyone else that season, in favor of over the hill Scott Rolen? Yeah.
    So your complaint is the game 5 SP gave up a big hit in the 4th inning and he didn't bench his All-Star 3B?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

18. Likes:

jimbo (01-28-2020),OGB (01-28-2020),REDREAD (01-31-2020),Tommyjohn25 (01-30-2020),WVRedsFan (01-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    When Dusty was managing the Reds, the game was passing him by. Now? The game has passed him by.

Shortstops don't always bat 2nd.
    Data actually matters more than gut feelings.
    Starting pitchers can't throw 120 pitches every 5 days.
    And white people don't get gassed in the summer heat more than other ethnicities.

The Astros just made a huge mistake, and I'm glad. They deserve every bit that Dusty brings to the table in 2020. Toothpicks and all.
    Just looked at the 2012 season for fun. The Reds used just five starting pitchers for the season and there's one game of a pitcher throwing more than 120 pitches. Looking at Cueto/Latos/Bailey/Arroyo/Leake as a whole, none of them were overworked: 217, 209, 208, 202, and 179 innings respectively. None of those were in the top 10 for innings pitched even though they each made just about as many starts as a pitcher can make. And Drew Stubbs batted second by far the most on the team (and Heisey another 23 times).

Not to let the facts get in the way of another session of good ol' Dusty bashing.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (01-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    So your complaint is the game 5 SP gave up a big hit in the 4th inning and he didn't bench his All-Star 3B?
    Scott Rolen didn't make the All-Star team in 2012. So that's a ridiculous way of putting it. Especially since Scott Rolen never played another game after that series. He was DONE. So yeah, you bench an over the hill player who's so much a shadow of his former self that he's retiring for a player who was 3rd in Rookie of the Year voting.

And everybody but you, Dusty and the rest of his apologists knew that Latos didn't have it that day before he gave up the Grand Slam. On a normal day you leave him in, in a series deciding game, you have someone throwing in the bullpen every inning and you bring them in at the first sign of trouble. See my previous post as to how Dusty thought it was wrong for the Dodgers to bring Kershaw in from bullpen to close out a playoff series against him. His logic is STUPID. As is his all the rest of his managerial philosophies.

22. Likes:

Phoenix2 (01-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    Dude, it's 2020. Not cool
    Even in 2020 it would be true.

That said I know some folks I can ask what their take on it is.

After all I live in Portland

24. Likes:

KySteveH (02-02-2020),North (01-28-2020),WVRedsFan (01-29-2020)

Sure glad Dusty is managing the Houston Astericks and not the Reds

26. Likes:

North (01-28-2020)

When the Guys on MLB Network first heard this they thought Dusty was absolutely the right guy to solve the integrity issue, but wondered about the fact that Astros were among the most 'advanced' in stats while Dusty was old school. They wondered if Dusty could hire a bench coach to handle that.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Turn Off Ads?