Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Dusty Baker is the new Astros Manager

Re: Dusty Baker is the new Astros Manager

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle
    True, but that's irrelevant. Dusty's management issues are relevant. Apparently you agree with my statement because that "original" comeback of yours is a way to say "your point is obvious, but there are lots of ifs".

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Scott Rolen didn't make the All-Star team in 2012. So that's a ridiculous way of putting it. Especially since Scott Rolen never played another game after that series. He was DONE. So yeah, you bench an over the hill player who's so much a shadow of his former self that he's retiring for a player who was 3rd in Rookie of the Year voting.
    My bad on the All-Star note. That was the two previous seasons. Dusty did start Frazier over Rolen in game 4. Didn't much help, so he went back to Rolen for game 5 and Rolen went 2-5.

And everybody but you, Dusty and the rest of his apologists knew that Latos didn't have it that day before he gave up the Grand Slam. On a normal day you leave him in, in a series deciding game, you have someone throwing in the bullpen every inning and you bring them in at the first sign of trouble. See my previous post as to how Dusty thought it was wrong for the Dodgers to bring Kershaw in from bullpen to close out a playoff series against him. His logic is STUPID. As is his all the rest of his managerial philosophies.
    Kvetch, kvetch, kvetch. Moan, moan, moan. Dusty's sooooooo stupid. Let's hate the only good baseball the Reds have played this century. Or, isn't there some sport you like?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

4. Likes:

redsfanmia (01-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My bad on the All-Star note. That was the two previous seasons. Dusty did start Frazier over Rolen in game 4. Didn't much help, so he went back to Rolen for game 5 and Rolen went 2-5.

Kvetch, kvetch, kvetch. Moan, moan, moan. Dusty's sooooooo stupid. Let's hate the only good baseball the Reds have played this century. Or, isn't there some sport you like?
    Yep, loved everything about a few of those teams, except for one, Dusty Baker. He's a failure because failures miss out on championships when theY have the better team. Just about every time he's lost in the playoffs, he's lost to the underdog. Either he's very unlucky, or he's a miserable failure when it comes to post season. I don't believe in coincidences happening over and over to the same person, so that leaves FAILURE.

6. Likes:

Phoenix2 (01-28-2020)

True, but that's irrelevant. Dusty's management issues are relevant. Apparently you agree with my statement because that "original" comeback of yours is a way to say "your point is obvious, but there are lots of ifs".
    Actually it's not that your point is obvious, it's anything but obvious, it's something that can't be proved, it's a theory of yours that you state as fact.

I never understood the vitriol for the Dustbuster. He wasn’t perfect, but no manager is. He’s a good dude, ran a good clubhouse, and won a fair amount of games. Give me that guy.

9. Likes:

HokieRed (01-28-2020),jimbo (01-28-2020),pedro (01-29-2020),REDREAD (01-31-2020),RedsfaninMT (01-28-2020),Roy Tucker (01-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Perfect punishment for them.
    Image is... everything.

Name:  hqdefault (1).jpg
Views: 343
Size:  14.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    I never understood the vitriol for the Dustbuster. He wasn’t perfect, but no manager is. He’s a good dude, ran a good clubhouse, and won a fair amount of games. Give me that guy.
    I liked him until the CTrent incident. Up until that, I had him ranked 4th behind Sparky, Davey and Sweet Lou.

After that, I began to realize that Dusty is the Andy Dalton of MLB managers.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Yep, loved everything about a few of those teams, except for one, Dusty Baker. He's a failure because failures miss out on championships when theY have the better team. Just about every time he's lost in the playoffs, he's lost to the underdog. Either he's very unlucky, or he's a miserable failure when it comes to post season. I don't believe in coincidences happening over and over to the same person, so that leaves FAILURE.
    That would be the underdog that won three WS in five years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I liked him until the CTrent incident. Up until that, I had him ranked 4th behind Sparky, Davey and Sweet Lou.

After that, I began to realize that Dusty is the Andy Dalton of MLB managers.
    Wasn't that Price who lost it with CTrent, or did I miss something? And living in Montana, that's to be expected.
    Last edited by RedsfaninMT; 01-28-2020 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    Wasn't that Price who lost it with CTrent, or did I miss something? And living in Montana, that's to be expected.
    Who cares if a writer fought with a manager? That’s a common baseball thing... like uniforms and pitchers rosin

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That would be the underdog that won three WS in five years.
    Again, if the Reds had a decent manager, the Giants wouldn't have won the 2012 World Series. What they did in 2010 and 2014 is irrelevant to walking into GAB and sweeping 3 games to win series 3-2. I'm going to guess that you weren't around for the 1970s or 1990 World Series. Because if you had, you're standards wouldn't be so ridiculously low.

If that was the only time, I'd cut him slack. But Dusty made a habit of pulling defeat out of the jaws of victory in the post season his whole career.

Don't get me started on using Harang and Volquez in relief in a meaningless 18 inning game in San Diego. I suppose the fact that Harang, our ace for a few years right up until that game, was never same and it took Volquez about 7 years to return to form was also some coincidence?

But I'm done arguing with you. Anybody that can justify using Scott Rolen over Todd Frazier for the post season is just as stupid as Dusty.
    Last edited by foster15; 01-28-2020 at 09:47 PM.

Anybody that can justify using Scott Rolen over Todd Frazier for the post season is just as stupid as Dusty.
    Sweet. Maybe I also invented the high five.

17. Likes:

westofyou (01-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    Yeah, but it was Dusty's fault. Or maybe Boone's.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Again, if the Reds had a decent manager, the Giants wouldn't have won the 2012 World Series. What they did in 2010 and 2014 is irrelevant to walking into GAB and sweeping 3 games to win series 3-2. I'm going to guess that you weren't around for the 1970s or 1990 World Series. Because if you had, you're standards wouldn't be so ridiculously low.

If that was the only time, I'd cut him slack. But Dusty made a habit of pulling defeat out of the jaws of victory in the post season his whole career.

Don't get me started on using Harang and Volquez in relief in a meaningless 18 inning game in San Diego. I suppose the fact that Harang, our ace for a few years right up until that game, was never same and it took Volquez about 7 years to return to form was also some coincidence?

But I'm done arguing with you. Anybody that can justify using Scott Rolen over Todd Frazier for the post season is just as stupid as Dusty.
    opinions are like...

71 people in the history of baseball have managed a team to a championship.
    Everyone else is a failure.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

21. Likes:

westofyou (01-28-2020)

Turn Off Ads?