Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Dusty Baker is the new Astros Manager

Re: Dusty Baker is the new Astros Manager

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    71 people in the history of baseball have managed a team to a championship.
    Everyone else is a failure.
    Learn to read. I said "When they have the better team!". Nice try though

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    opinions are like...
    ...things to be taken at face value? Another person's viewpoint? Not to be denigrated from the git-go?
    Last edited by North; 01-28-2020 at 11:52 PM.

4. Likes:

Phoenix2 (01-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    ...things to be taken at face value? Another person's viewpoint? Not to be denigrated from the git-go?
    If they can't be validated by facts then they are opinions

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Scott Rolen didn't make the All-Star team in 2012. So that's a ridiculous way of putting it. Especially since Scott Rolen never played another game after that series. He was DONE. So yeah, you bench an over the hill player who's so much a shadow of his former self that he's retiring for a player who was 3rd in Rookie of the Year voting.

And everybody but you, Dusty and the rest of his apologists knew that Latos didn't have it that day before he gave up the Grand Slam. On a normal day you leave him in, in a series deciding game, you have someone throwing in the bullpen every inning and you bring them in at the first sign of trouble. See my previous post as to how Dusty thought it was wrong for the Dodgers to bring Kershaw in from bullpen to close out a playoff series against him. His logic is STUPID. As is his all the rest of his managerial philosophies.
    If you are going to fault Dusty for leaving Latos in too long in game 5, which is a reasonable argument, you also need to give him credit for the way he handled Cueto's injury in game 1.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (01-31-2020)

Learn to read. I said "When they have the better team!". Nice try though
    How many managers have there been in baseball history? Over a 500? 750? 1000? I have no idea. Btw, I'm drunk right .
    The overwhelming majority complete and abject failures.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    How many managers have there been in baseball history? Over a 500? 750? 1000? I have no idea. Btw, I'm drunk right .
    The overwhelming majority complete and abject failures.
    Baseball Reference lists 711 MLB managers, from Manny Acta to Don Zimmer.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

10. Likes:

redsmetz (01-29-2020)

Must we talk about game 5 of the 2012 NLDS again? I had been making such good progress with my therapist.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

12. Likes:

757690 (01-29-2020),Chip R (01-29-2020),cumberlandreds (01-29-2020),CySeymour (01-29-2020),M2 (01-29-2020),malcontent (01-29-2020),Phoenix2 (01-29-2020),RedsBaron (01-29-2020),RedsfaninMT (01-29-2020),redsmetz (01-29-2020),WVRedsFan (01-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Who cares if a writer fought with a manager? That’s a common baseball thing... like uniforms and pitchers rosin
    I couldn't agree more, but it's beyond silly to blame Dusty for the behavior of Bryan Price.

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-29-2020),REDREAD (01-31-2020),Tony Cloninger (01-29-2020),WVRedsFan (01-29-2020)

Dusty is good manager. His record proves it. You can never blame him fully for that game five. The die was cast in that series when Cueto went down with his injury. No way Latos would been on the mound in game five if Cueto was available. Also Leake would have never started game four. Just sheer bad luck for the Reds. Also no way in the world that Frazier was going to start over Rolen at that point. Maybe he was the better choice but it just wasn't going to happen and at that time I think everyone knew that. Anyone thinking that is being a revisionist 2nd guesser that gets you no where.
    The Astros have made a great choice here. Dusty has tremendous integrity and that is what the Astros need most at the moment. Also I really hope Dusty can finally get his championship as long as it isn't at the expense of the Reds.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

16. Likes:

Chip R (01-29-2020),REDREAD (01-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don't think "average" summarizes Dusty very well. He's an excellent regular season manager, highly respected by his players, a great leader of men.

He's not won in the post-season, I'd argue a combo of lack of urgency in his decisions and some bad luck.

Overall, though, he's won 1863 regular season ballgames with a .532 winning percentage. He's made it to the post-season nine times with four different teams and 23-32 W-L and .418 winning percentage.

He's a great fit for the Astros although he's not managed in the AL previously.

Good for him, he keeps turning up, fits the job well. Good luck Dusty.
    Dusty ranks 15th all-time for mangers with that number. An 85 win season, which should be reasonably reached, puts him at 12th just ahead of Casey Stengal, passing up Bill McKechnie, Gene Mauch and the aforementioned Stengal. Bruce Bochy is next at 11th with 2003. He's still active in Dusty's old post San Francisco.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I liked him until the CTrent incident. Up until that, I had him ranked 4th behind Sparky, Davey and Sweet Lou.

After that, I began to realize that Dusty is the Andy Dalton of MLB managers.

His name was Bryan Price. His name was Bryan Price.

If Dusty is Andy Dalton then Bryan Price was Rich Kotite.

Dusty just sat there smirking while BP went on his tirade.

I lost respect for both Dusty and BP that day. I never cared for CTrent, so no respect to lose there.

Bryan Price? When he laid into CTrent it felt like the fakest, most shallow attempt to gain respect in the clubhouse. Not sure why anyone thinks I'm confusing the two ex Reds Managers... Dusty was the Marvin Lewis of the Reds, Price was the Dave Shula.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Well, if he smirked ...
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

21. Likes:

Tom Servo (01-29-2020)

Did he leave Latos in to give up 7 runs in 4 innings in game 5? Yeah
    Did he bench Todd Frazier, who had as much to do with the Reds success as anyone else that season, in favor of over the hill Scott Rolen? Yeah.
    Ran us out of a big inning opportunity down 3 with 2 on and no one out to basically end the game in 6th.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I am so happy for Dusty.. He's a great manager and a class act.

The only problem is that I really can't hate the Astros anymore.
    I'm sorry..I can still hate the Astros even if Barry Larkin, Johnny Bench and Joe Nuxall when he was still alive were all named co-managers of the Astros, past, present and future.. . I still hated the steelers when Kenny Anderson was their QB coach..

24. Likes:

REDREAD (01-31-2020)

Turn Off Ads?