Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: GM building an all-electric-vehicle plant in Detroit.

Re: GM building an all-electric-vehicle plant in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Nobody should be making that commute regularly.
    Not everybody lives two minutes from work or works from home. Hundreds of thousands of people work in the trades or some other job where they may need to change their workplace destination on a regular basis. Or maybe one spouse lives close to work in the other lives further from work. That’s reality.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Can't wait to the day I can hop in the car in Wichita, pop my destination into the coordinates, have a glass of wine, fall asleep and wake up in Louisville.
    We literally invented this kind of travel 150 years ago--trains...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    We literally invented this kind of travel 150 years ago--trains...
    Love riding the train. Rode it to work virtually every day for 8 years in Boston. Definitely my preferred commuting option. Hell, I think I went two years driving a total of like twice when I lived downtown. The sleepers in Europe (and just normal train service) are also great. Unfortunately my train options from Wichita to Louisville are pretty limited. And everyone knows the people train doesn't leave out of Wichita. People train leaves out of Stubbville.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    The newly built High-Speed Rail Interstate System should take care of it...

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Once the charging tech is good enough I don't think it's going to bother people that much to stop and charge for 30 minutes every 4+ hours. I fully realize that will sound crazy to some people, but I think this for two reasons:

- It's a small bit of time for all the benefits of an electric car, and I'm not talking about just environmental. They are more fun to drive, they are way cheaper to run, they break down less.

- On long roadtrips, people take longer to pump gas than they want to admit in these conversations. Remember, we're talking 300+ miles of range in the future, so they've been in the car at least 4 hours. They get some food, they go to the bathroom, they stretch their legs. By the time that all happens, it's probably been 10-15 minutes. So we're talking about another 15 minutes of chilling out. This will drive some people mad, but most people aren't going to mind.

I realize Americans largely think being inconvenienced in any way is basically someone declaring war on them, but some things are going to slow down. It's going to be forced on us by the natural limits of the planet. It doesn't have to be an unpleasant thing.

My guess is rest stops / gas stations will evolve to make those small bits of charging time more pleasant, with entertainment options and so forth.
    And who doesn't stop at least once every couple of hours anyway for whatever reason. As a couple we are always looking for ways to get around using a car, but I love using them. We took the train to and from Seattle for our REDS' games in September and Uber around Seattle.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    ..... someone lives in Dayton and has to drive to Cincy or northern Kentucky regularly, that's an extra few hours per week added to their commute. The present day electric car just isn't a good fit for a lot of people for a lot of reasons, and it still isn't environmentally great, but it's a start. In four or five years, that is really going to change.
    Actually in the example you cite, the right electric car would be fantastic. A Chevy Bolt for example can go 232 miles. A round-trip from Huber Heights (north of Dayton) to Cincy Airport (In N. Kentucky) via I-75 is 147.4 miles. Round trip. That could easily be done without refueling. Think of the gas you'd be saving.

And you can pick up a pretty low mileage Bolt for under $24,000. Here's one from Caravana with 27,000 miles.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

10. Likes:

Redsfaithful (01-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Actually in the example you cite, the right electric car would be fantastic. A Chevy Bolt for example can go 232 miles. A round-trip from Huber Heights (north of Dayton) to Cincy Airport (In N. Kentucky) via I-75 is 147.4 miles. Round trip. That could easily be done without refueling. Think of the gas you'd be saving.

And you can pick up a pretty low mileage Bolt for under $24,000. Here's one from Caravana with 27,000 miles.
    See, that's a different scenario. If someone could charge overnight and have a fresh battery in the morning, that would work. But sitting at a "gas station" for a half hour would be a drag.

An EV would not work for me personally, and I'll keep driving what I have for now, but when the next generation comes out with a larger payload and better technology, I would probably pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    The family makes that trip twice a year, and there are other, somewhat shorter trips as well. Sorry for talking about my experiences. How could we make this thread more comfortable for you?
    I don't know what this means, just pointing out that people use the once or twice a year trip as an excuse why these cars could never work when the average American drives 29 miles/day.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Not everybody lives two minutes from work or works from home. Hundreds of thousands of people work in the trades or some other job where they may need to change their workplace destination on a regular basis. Or maybe one spouse lives close to work in the other lives further from work. That’s reality.
    It's just the data, I don't know what to tell you. The vast majority of people aren't living like this.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

It's Chevy "Volt", not "Bolt". It's not a cartoon dog.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

My favorite place on the Oregon Coast is 244.8 miles from Portland. To get to Bandon there would need to be a recharging somewhere, but that's no problem. I would never drive non-stop anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

See, that's a different scenario. If someone could charge overnight and have a fresh battery in the morning, that would work. But sitting at a "gas station" for a half hour would be a drag.

An EV would not work for me personally, and I'll keep driving what I have for now, but when the next generation comes out with a larger payload and better technology, I would probably pull the trigger.
    Yeah...same here. And, some of them have just been pieces of crap. So much is sacrificed as far as stability and safety in order to make them lighter. I sold Subaru's for 10+ years, the Leaf's their first three years on the market (not a safe car to drive, but it's not the deathtrap that the Prius is, but the Leaf is very efficient with their gas/electric hybrid technology, second only to the Volt, in a class by itself, not counting Tesla, of course), and the Volt for 8+ years. I would definitely own a Volt, but just not ready, yet. Just spent last weekend on Mt. Hood and going through the Gorge. Not taking anything other than a Subaru on that trip.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-30-2020 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    You should probably do some research before you correct someone......
    Last edited by JaxRed; 01-30-2020 at 01:38 AM.

When the patents run out on the Volt (calling it "Bolt" doesn't change the expiration date )which I believe it filed in 2006 (this industry gets 20 years on patents, so 2026 it will expire), and the patents run out on the Tesla's designs, then if any manufacturer hasn't come up with a better idea by then, they can at least copy and improve upon the Volt technology (where a gallon of gas is used exclusively to recharge the battery while it's running along with some other technologies which allowed them to include the horsepower, handling, stability and safety features which the Leaf technology had to abandon) or a non-hybrid like the Tesla. Every manufacturer will be creating these vehicles by 2030 which will have at least 250-mile ranges along with horsepower, too, though some manufacturers will continue to abandon safety and stability in exchange for lower prices and bells and whistles (they are called stereos and blue-tooth technologies), as they always have. There isn't a manufacturer, yet, that hasn't rested on it's laurels for a 10-year stretch after getting to the top. It should happen to Subaru, too. Nissan is going through it now. Volkswagon has never gotten out of it going on 30 years now. Toyota is at the tail end of it after a bad 10 year stretch. Ford has come out of it after a bad 25-year sttetch about seven years ago. Dodge came out of it about 10 years ago after a bad 35-year stretch and Chevy came out of it about 15 years ago after a bad 30-year stretch.

Drug companies get 10 years on patents. Writers get 50+ years on copyrights. Auto manufacturers get 20+ years on technologies.

By 2030, gas vehicles should be close to obsolete for most consumers, in theory. Oil companies will do everything in their power to not let that happen.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-30-2020 at 03:01 AM.

So, Chevy thought they would get cute by changing a name from Volt to Bolt. It's still the Volt. It's not a new invention. I quit following new vehicles two years ago and am not aware of the new names, though I am aware that the technology hasn't improved. The Bolt is still the same thing as the Volt from a 10+ years ago. The 259-mile range is still about the same as when it first came out. Improvements would have to do with more stability, horsepower and safety, and cost (as demand increases).
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-30-2020 at 03:05 AM.

So, Chevy thought they would get cute by changing a name from Volt to Bolt. It's still the Volt. It's not a new invention. I quit following new vehicles two years ago and am not aware of the new names, though I am aware that the technology hasn't improved. The Bolt is still the same thing as the Volt from a few years ago.
    No.. you are 100% wrong. The Volt was a plug in hybrid. Went 50 miles or so on electric and then kicked over to it's gas engine. They stopped selling it last year. The Bolt is a pure electric with a range of 232 all electric miles. It has been on sale from Chevy since 2016.

Two totally different vehicles. Different technology. Not a name change. The vehicles could hardly look much more different.

Turn Off Ads?