Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Reds Off Season Rumors,News and Discussions Part Three

Re: 2019-20 Reds Off Season Rumors,News and Discussions Part Three

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I just wish they'd have come up with another option behind the plate to compete with Casali.
    Casali is an insider with Johnson, Gray and the whole pitching brain-trust. He's more of a lock to stay on the team than Barnhart IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-14-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    I read the article and that quote felt like it was due to recent seasons (Bengal treatment) or possibly sour grapes by an exec that didn't have money to spend (Hello Cubbies!). Now, are some of those points possibly valid? Sure... But baseball is the support that I will take the better roster over the better team 100 times out of 99. Give me good players. The defense, especially the infield, is an understandable concern. Moose's full time transition to 2nd, the play of Galvis, etc... The outfield defense largely depends on what lineup gets the start, in my opinion. I'll take this level of financial commitment to the roster, as well as the overhaul to the development system. The status quo wasn't working, so a plan was put in place to change that.
    total sour grapes. that is the only thing i could think of while reading that piece. the only guy the reds overpaid for this offseason was moose, but i imagine that was the price it took to get him because he had other suitors that he would have picked if the money was even. i think the reds got good deals on the other 4 free agents they signed, or at least got them exactly at market value. shogo went for more than anyone initially expected, but $7 million/year over 3 years is not very much in today's MLB. i think that was more of a case of analysts undervaluing shogo, because there were definitely a handful of teams that were seriously going after him. miley for 2 years/$15 million was a good bargain imo and gives the reds a lefty in the rotation. a durable one at that. castellanos for 1 year, $16M is good. castellanos for 4 years, $64M is good. i like that one regardless. strop was a very good signing imo.

just sour grapes by a rival exec.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

???

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Casali is an insider with Johnson, Gray and the whole pitching brain-trust. He's more of a lock to stay on the team than Barnhart IMO.
    This is why it's not just as simple as getting a "better hitting" catcher. This stuff matters too.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    This is why it's not just as simple as getting a "better hitting" catcher. This stuff matters too.
    Casali is a pretty good hitting catcher.

As a Red, he's been right around league average with the bat.

Those guys have value even if their gloves suck. (And Casali's doesn't suck too badly.)

I honestly think the Reds' catching tandem could be a LOT worse than Barnhart and Casali (it HAS been worse). I think we're just bummed because we all thought the Reds were going to bring in a big-name guy. Everybody says catching on this team is a weakness, but it's not near as bad as it is being made out to be.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

9. Likes:

Frank Robinson (02-14-2020),herbdizzle (02-17-2020),RED VAN HOT (02-14-2020),Ron Madden (02-14-2020),Spike (02-15-2020),thatcoolguy_22 (02-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Everybody says catching on this team is a weakness, but it's not near as bad as it is being made out to be.
    It's middle of the pack, perhaps a little less.

Last year, they ranked 16th in fWAR.

Both Casali and Barnhart had poor offensive, wherein they were 10% lower than their two-year average from 2017 - 2018.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    It's middle of the pack, perhaps a little less.

Last year, they ranked 16th in fWAR.

Both Casali and Barnhart had poor offensive, wherein they were 10% lower than their two-year average from 2017 - 2018.
    And Barnhart improved greatly in the 2nd half once he got healthy. There is reason to expect some improvement from both of them this year.

12. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (02-14-2020),RedlegJake (02-14-2020),wally post (02-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Shogo Akiyama begins transition to major leagues with Reds

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...cc0abd95a.html
    Will he wear "Akiyama" or "Shogo" as his name on the back of his jersey?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Will he wear "Akiyama" or "Shogo" as his name on the back of his jersey?
    He should rock "Shogo-a'Go-Go"

Votto, 36, was hard on himself about his 2019 performance, “It’s the worst season I’ve had in my career, pretty clearly. I don’t think it’s close,” said Votto, who debuted in the Majors during the 2007 season. “Everything went the wrong way.”

That prompted him to try something new for his offseason routine. He chose to mostly avoid baseball.

“I trained for sure. But I didn’t do any baseball stuff,” Votto said. “I needed to take some time away.

Votto arrived at camp early on Feb. 5, I’m excited to compete. I’m excited to work. I’m excited, I’m motivated to play well. I’m motivated to be part of a winning team and to play every day. I’ve got a lot to look forward to,” the first baseman said on Friday.

When Votto arrived in camp, he came ready to work and with one very lofty expectation.

“I needed to swing and throw and I needed to acclimate myself to the Arizona weather and the time zone,” Votto said. “I was going to go on a trip before I got here. But I decided against it because I didn’t want to deal with too much jet lag. I will have to save that for after we win the World Series.”
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/joey-v...ffseason-break

16. Likes:

DocRed (02-15-2020),ochoa30 (02-15-2020),thatcoolguy_22 (02-17-2020)

I wonder what percentage of players take all offseason off like Votto did. Did he just have a maniacal work ethic before? Or is that the norm?

“I think people underestimate how (Farmer) plays that position (SS),” Bell said. “I would have no hesitation having Kyle play an extended period of time at short. You’re right, though, we don’t have the depth at that position as we do at pretty much every other position. It’s a consideration.”

19. Likes:

Frank Robinson (02-15-2020),REDREAD (02-15-2020),Ron Madden (02-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    “I think people underestimate how (Farmer) plays that position (SS),” Bell said. “I would have no hesitation having Kyle play an extended period of time at short. You’re right, though, we don’t have the depth at that position as we do at pretty much every other position. It’s a consideration.”
    I think Farmer is the best IF defender on the roster outside of Galvis. I like him better than Blandino and everybody else is below average (though Moose is pretty good at 3B). If Senzel can play that might change things.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I didn't realize Farmer was actually a college SS and was converted to catcher in the pros. So this isn't some wacky experiment, he actually has chops

Turn Off Ads?