Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Reds Off Season Rumors,News and Discussions Part Three

Re: 2019-20 Reds Off Season Rumors,News and Discussions Part Three

I believe it’s Felipe Erwin.

He looks like Phil Ervin but he has a mustache.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

M2 (02-21-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Good moderation earlier in the day here mods.

5. Likes:

Plus Plus (02-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I was responding to a straw man with a straw man.

I have consistently said he simply should not be handed a starting position on this roster for one great month, one terrible month, and a very uneven minor league career. That’s it.
    I'm with you on that. In my opinion the only one who gets handed an OF job is Castellanos. Should make ST very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    I'm with you on that. In my opinion the only one who gets handed an OF job is Castellanos. Should make ST very interesting.
    I agree, I think you have to give all of those guys that are considered ready for the big leagues an honest and fair evaluation. All Spring last year we complained that Senzel was getting sent to AAA because that meant we were not committed to having the best 25 to win. It should not change this season.

I believe the angst about Aquino is unwarranted. To read RedsZone Aquino’s cool down in September was a sign of unreadiness.

But any player in baseball would cool down significantly after such a hot streak. All Stars, MVPs would cool down significantly after such an intense hot streak. Some would slump badly for awhile after that streak.

Sending Aquino to AAA is the wrong way to develop a potential power hitting star. You build on his success. You don’t ship him out to face AAA pitching again. And you don’t let the technicality of a minor league option dictate development of a player at this talent level.

Aquino should make the team, they should find playing time for him, even if not every day. The last thing I want to see is Aquino hit ten homers in a week for Louisville.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-21-2020 at 03:02 PM.

9. Likes:

Frank Robinson (02-21-2020),marcshoe (02-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I believe the angst about Aquino is unwarranted.

To read RedsZone Aquino’s cool down in September was a sign of unreadiness.

I say that’s wrong. Any player in baseball would cool down significantly after such a hot streak. All Stars, MVPs would cool down significantly after such an intense hot streak.

To me, sending Aquino to AAA is the wrong way to develop a potential power hitting star. You build on his success. You don’t ship him out to face AAA pitching again. If it’s the MILB option that holds him back, that is absurd IMO.

Aquino should make the team, they should find playing time for him, even if not every day. The last thing I want to see is Aquino hit ten homers in a week for Louisville.
    Aquino's potential is unmatched by anyone in the Reds outfield. If he figured something out he will put up huge numbers. With that being said I believe last year was a mirage. I think he should start the year in AAA unless an injury or trade occurs. The Reds are looking to win this year.

AA is too much of an unknown. He could easily hit 40 bombs, but could bust just as easily. IMO it is to much risk to rely on him being successful. I hope he proves me wrong bc that month he had last year was a whole lot of fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    Aquino's potential is unmatched by anyone in the Reds outfield. If he figured something out he will put up huge numbers. With that being said I believe last year was a mirage. I think he should start the year in AAA unless an injury or trade occurs. The Reds are looking to win this year.

AA is too much of an unknown. He could easily hit 40 bombs, but could bust just as easily. IMO it is to much risk to rely on him being successful. I hope he proves me wrong bc that month he had last year was a whole lot of fun to watch.
    I respectfully disagree. AAA should not be a half-way house for inconvenient situations. Aquino will be 26 this coming season, he dominated a month of MLB ball. There is nothing to gain by sticking him at AAA to face minor league pitching again.

There is an issue getting him enough playing time, but he could play against lefties and occasional righties. Then see how it goes.

Reds may decide otherwise, but I hope AA sticks; he should.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-21-2020 at 03:11 PM.

12. Likes:

Frank Robinson (02-21-2020),Rojo Rijo (02-21-2020)

I respectfully disagree. AAA should not be a half-way house for inconvenient situations. Aquino will be 26 this coming season, he dominated a month of MLB ball. There is nothing to gain by sticking him at AAA to face minor league pitching again.

There is an issue getting him enough playing time, but he could play against lefties and occasional righties. Then see how it goes.

Reds may decide otherwise, but I hope AA sticks; he should.
    If used as stated above, I could see it. I think that would be optimal after thinking about it. I just don't think he should be an everyday player unless he proves it, and platooning he could prove it while not being counted on heavily. With that being said who goes? I would have to say Ervin.

I feel like I am one of the very few that likes Ervin and thinks he still has the ability to be a solid major league hitter. I feel like a large portion of the fan base focuses on the negatives of Ervin and Aquino, while only seeing the positives with guys like Winker.

15. Likes:

Frank Robinson (02-21-2020),Old school 1983 (02-23-2020),Sea Ray (02-22-2020)

i would not be surprised at all if the outfield situation does not get resolved until mid-april, or even very early may. i could envision a scenario where senzel begins the year on the IL, then plays a couple weeks or less at louisville on a rehab assignment. this would allow an outfielder to make the team out of spring training who otherwise wouldn't (ervin, aquino). then by the time senzel is ready someone else could be hurt or not producing. this will all take care of itself. jmo.

I believe the angst about Aquino is unwarranted. To read RedsZone AquinoÂ’s cool down in September was a sign of unreadiness.

But any player in baseball would cool down significantly after such a hot streak. All Stars, MVPs would cool down significantly after such an intense hot streak. Some would slump badly for awhile after that streak
    Even Votto in his prime used to go cold for a month, but AquinoÂ’s September slump after crushing the baseball all season long is apparently a death knell to some people.

18. Likes:

Frank Robinson (02-21-2020)

All I am saying about Aquino is that in my opinion, Aquino is in a heat for the 5th OF spot. He is in competition with Ervin, who has a slight edge because Erwin is out of options AND has experience at all three OF spots (the same could be said for Schebler). Even if Aquino somehow makes the team, he still will not be a starter. I just don’t see Aquino starting over Castellanos, Senzel, or Shogo, OR Winker.

I also see Schebler and Jankowski getting a LOT of playing time in spring training. It will drive Reds fans crazy but Schebler and Jankowski will get many chances to showcase their talent in order to polish up their trade value. If they are going to trade those guys for a bucket of baseballs, it may as well be the good baseballs.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by RustyJ View Post
    Even Votto in his prime used to go cold for a month, but AquinoÂ’s September slump after crushing the baseball all season long is apparently a death knell to some people.
    Thing about it is though, while much of his minor league season August-like, his previous couple of years were September-esque. He's certainly showing great promise, but he has not accomplished enough yet to declare him AAA-proof. His hot August start could have been before the League had a book on him. Let's see how his Spring goes before declaring him an ironclad lock for the 26-man.

If he really rakes the next month, all may be moot. If he's uncaliente though, well... options.

21. Likes:

HammerTime (02-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    All I am saying about Aquino is that in my opinion, Aquino is in a heat for the 5th OF spot. He is in competition with Ervin, who has a slight edge because Erwin is out of options AND has experience at all three OF spots (the same could be said for Schebler). Even if Aquino somehow makes the team, he still will not be a starter. I just don’t see Aquino starting over Castellanos, Senzel, or Shogo, OR Winker.

I also see Schebler and Jankowski getting a LOT of playing time in spring training. It will drive Reds fans crazy but Schebler and Jankowski will get many chances to showcase their talent in order to polish up their trade value. If they are going to trade those guys for a bucket of baseballs, it may as well be the good baseballs.
    Aquino put up a higher WAR in 2 months than Jesse Winker has in 3 seasons combined. It’s comical how overrated Winker is by so many on this board.

23. Likes:

Frank Robinson (02-21-2020),jwdoc77 (02-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    Aquino put up a higher WAR in 2 months than Jesse Winker has in 3 seasons combined. It’s comical how overrated Winker is by so many on this board.
    The Brown Frocked Friars wanting Senzel AND Lindor. Must be looking at Senzel in the OF if they're gonna have Machado, Lindor & Tatis in the IF. Unless Lindor or Tatis is headed Cincy's way, they've got precious little to offer for Senzel, unless they want to ship us Gore (and that ain't happening).

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/cincinnati-reds

Turn Off Ads?