Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Reds Off Season Rumors,News and Discussions Part Three

Re: 2019-20 Reds Off Season Rumors,News and Discussions Part Three

Some early thoughts.....Garcia is all the rage and at 20 I’d say there’s a good chance that he’s the real deal but I’m seeing articles saying he should start this season

I was hoping to see Votto visibly different at the plate but alas looked exactly like last season as far as that stance and even approach....I get it it’s one game but that man on third with one out and then taking 7 pitches(if not mistaken) drives me bananas

I love DD(and DD’s for that matter) but he continues to look like he’s trying to pull everything....pitch him up or away and he’s an easy out

Freak injury to Winker and it appears to be minor but I can see no scenario where he and Senzel play a full season....I hate to be such a pessimist

Rooting for Reed and Finnegan but strike one is so important and they wear me out

No Josh Smith please....walked the first man he faced and he’s dead to meg

How many slugging guys do “we” have that have zero chance to make the opening day roster? Those AAA numbers are incredible for that group

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    Some early thoughts.....Garcia is all the rage and at 20 I’d say there’s a good chance that he’s the real deal but I’m seeing articles saying he should start this season

I was hoping to see Votto visibly different at the plate but alas looked exactly like last season as far as that stance and even approach....I get it it’s one game but that man on third with one out and then taking 7 pitches(if not mistaken) drives me bananas

I love DD(and DD’s for that matter) but he continues to look like he’s trying to pull everything....pitch him up or away and he’s an easy out

Freak injury to Winker and it appears to be minor but I can see no scenario where he and Senzel play a full season....I hate to be such a pessimist

Rooting for Reed and Finnegan but strike one is so important and they wear me out

No Josh Smith please....walked the first man he faced and he’s dead to meg

How many slugging guys do “we” have that have zero chance to make the opening day roster? Those AAA numbers are incredible for that group
    Votto is more upright then when he started last year. Halfway through the season he changed his stance and had a much better second half then first. He seems to be starting from that point this season. Also as someone who has gone to spring training for 10 years (well 10 this spring when i go) and for 2 weeks at a time, i can say with 100% confidence that Votto is mostly horrible in the spring. He basically admits he uses the spring to watch pitches and get his eye tuned up. He will start to try closer to the end of the spring. Hes also normally the first position play to play 9 innings.

Quote Originally Posted by Red X View Post
    Votto is more upright then when he started last year. Halfway through the season he changed his stance and had a much better second half then first. He seems to be starting from that point this season. Also as someone who has gone to spring training for 10 years (well 10 this spring when i go) and for 2 weeks at a time, i can say with 100% confidence that Votto is mostly horrible in the spring. He basically admits he uses the spring to watch pitches and get his eye tuned up. He will start to try closer to the end of the spring. Hes also normally the first position play to play 9 innings.
    Votto also said he took a break from baseball this offseason so, to your point, he's probably trying to see as many pitches as he can

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Garcia and Stephenson developing would be huge this year. As C and SS are the two hardest positions to find. And if the Reds could have good cost controlled options at those spots it would enable them to spend on offense at easier to find spots (corner OFs, etc...).
    and if Senzel proves to be a true All Star level CF'er. I have always thought pitching and the 3 spots up the middle (Catcher, SS and CF) are kind of the hard part to get in place for the foundation of the team. It is easier to fill the other spots with quality players. Give me 3 good starters, a good closer, and really good Catcher, SS and CF'er and I could build a Division contender around it every season.

6. Likes:

Sea Ray (02-28-2020)

Some questions for anyone that feels they know or have a gut feeling....

1.) Will we keep 12 or 13 pitchers on opening day roster?

2.) It feels like we will not roster a Rule 5 pick for the 2nd year in a row. Is it likely we are not as aggressive in the Rule 5 draft going forward?

3.) Keep assets or Best 26? I get the feeling the FO is still a lean toward keeping Assets type of thinking which leads me to believe a guy like Dietrich would be favored to make the roster over guys like Aquino and Van Meter. I am even concerned they will force a guy like Schebler on the roster instead of just letting him walk.

4.) How many everyday starters do you expect to be on the DL on opening day? (Geno? Winker? Senzel?)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post

2.) It feels like we will not roster a Rule 5 pick for the 2nd year in a row. Is it likely we are not as aggressive in the Rule 5 draft going forward?

3.) Keep assets or Best 26? I get the feeling the FO is still a lean toward keeping Assets type of thinking which leads me to believe a guy like Dietrich would be favored to make the roster over guys like Aquino and Van Meter. I am even concerned they will force a guy like Schebler on the roster instead of just letting him walk.

4.) How many everyday starters do you expect to be on the DL on opening day? (Geno? Winker? Senzel?)
    imo...

1. 13

2. it's a drop in the bucket; an insurance policy if guys got hurt and/or they didn't sign shogo. always a longshot with rule 5 drafts. won't affect the plan moving forward.

3. kind of torn on this one, but i don't really think it matters due to #4 (i also don't think dietrich will make the roster as he would be owed $2M if he makes the team).

4. geno and senzel. senzel for sure, which will allow both ervin and aquino to make the opening day roster.

I guess, if everybody's healthy to start the season and with early-season off dates, they could go lite with a seven-man pen (12), but the Reds have of late have shown a preference for loading up the bullpen, so I'm guessing 13. Not sure if the new 3-man minimum rule will have any effect.

10. Likes:

M2 (02-27-2020)

Gut feeling only:

1.) 13 pitchers. Even with the "3 batter, LOOGY-is-DEAD-rule", can't have enough pitching.
    2.) Peyton has little-to-no chance. They took a cheap flyer, and will continue to do so. Costs very little to take a chance (relatively speaking).
    3.) Keep assets, but Schebler must force the hand--and has a chance due to Senzel's likely DL stint the first week(s) of the season. Dietrich is fodder unless an additional injury occurs and/or Suarez is out for the first week(s). Aquino is destined for AAA; see Senzel 2019.
    4.) Geno and Senzel will not play on opening day. And, with his injury history, I might even take the bet on Winker being unavailable too.

Mark Sheldon
    @m_sheldon
    Nick Senzel and Aristides Aquino getting ready for BP. #reds @ Cincinnati Reds Player Development Complex https://instagram.com/p/B9HrPSZhXMw/...=1fbmqukplu25o
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B9HrPSZh...=1fbmqukplu25o

13. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-28-2020)

Haunted by walks

Jose Garcia is the new Aristides Aquino.

15. Likes:

Chip R (03-02-2020),DocRed (02-28-2020),RED VAN HOT (02-28-2020),Ron Madden (02-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Jose Garcia is the new Aristides Aquino.
    No, he's the new Mike Frank.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

17. Likes:

Chip R (03-02-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

He's the new Jim Coombs.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

19. Likes:

Chip R (03-02-2020),M2 (02-28-2020),Puffy (02-29-2020),Ron Madden (02-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    He will be 22 in April.

Quote Originally Posted by Red X View Post
    That sounds revisionist to me. Pre-Allstar break last year Votto was .268/.360/.411/.771. Post-break, .252/.352/.412/.764. I remember him changing his approach in the middle of last year too. He started pulling the ball more. But the results were actually a little worse. I've seen him a few times this spring and don't see anything different about his approach.
    Last edited by cobike; 02-28-2020 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    He will be 22 in April.
    In an attempt to convince Reds management that he's ready, Garcia will skip age 21.....
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

23. Likes:

REDREAD (03-02-2020)

Turn Off Ads?