Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Reds Off Season Rumors,News and Discussions Part Three

Re: 2019-20 Reds Off Season Rumors,News and Discussions Part Three

Didn't know this about Farmer. Thought he was to SS as Winker is to CF - you can put them there, but it doesn't mean it's a good idea. If Farmer is adequate or better backing SS, I could see them going light on other IF-only reserves.Senzel & Moustakas have aiF cersatility as does JVM & Dietrich

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Didn't know this about Farmer. Thought he was to SS as Winker is to CF - you can put them there, but it doesn't mean it's a good idea. If Farmer is adequate or better backing SS, I could see them going light on other IF-only reserves.Senzel & Moustakas have aiF cersatility as does JVM & Dietrich
    Assuming 13 pitchers and 13 position players (five man bench):

If Reds keep six outfielders, then Farmer is your only backup infielder (not counting Senzel, Castellanos).

If Reds keep five outfielders, then Farmer is one of two backup infielders (again, excluding Senzel, Castellanos).

I strongly hope they go for the second option. If they truly are counting on Farmer for shortstop, that would allow the second IFer to be a player like VM or DD or a new guy, non-SS infielders who can play some OF also.

Of course all this is dependent on Farmer making the team, which is probable but not a lock.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-15-2020 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Assuming 13 pitchers and 13 position players (five man bench):

If Reds keep six outfielders, then Farmer is your only backup infielder (not counting Senzel, Castellanos).

If Reds keep five outfielders, then Farmer is one of two backup infielders (again, excluding Senzel, Castellanos).

I strongly hope they go for the second option. If they truly are counting on Farmer for shortstop, that would allow the second IFer to be a player like VM or DD or a new guy, non-SS infielders who can play some OF also.

Of course all this is dependent on Farmer making the team, which is probable but not a lock.
    I don't like the 6 OFer idea either

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Lorenzen isn't barred from playing the OF, either. I doubt the Reds go with 6 outfielders.

And when all is said and done, I hope that Galvis is the other backup IF, with the Reds acquiring a starting SS through trade.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (02-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    A couple things that works well in Farmer's favor are his production against LH and as a pinch hitter. 822 OPS in 62 ABs v. southpaws and a 729 OPS as a PH last year.

That has inordinate value-- if he can do that again this year.

I think remaining options will enter into the final cuts.

9. Likes:

corkedbat (02-17-2020)

Post surgery, Sonny Gray relishing smooth delivery
    “I’m the biggest DJ and Caleb supporter there is, for good reason,” Gray said. “I just think they’re so good at what they do. [They're] good at making you a better player and better pitcher and also making you accountable for your actions. It’s individualized. They’re very good, and I believe in them for everything.”

Joining the Reds reunited Gray with pitching coach Derek Johnson, who coached him in college at Vanderbilt. Johnson and another Vanderbilt alumnus, assistant pitching coach Caleb Cotham, helped get Gray back on track.

According to Statcast, Gray’s already effective curveball became more effective, averaging 2,983 rpm, up from 2,852 the previous season. His strikeout percentage went from 21.1 percent in 2018 to 29 percent in ‘19, while the expected batting average (xBA) went from .252 to .212.
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/sonny-...ward-to-season

11. Likes:

DocRed (02-16-2020),RED VAN HOT (02-16-2020),REDREAD (02-16-2020),thatcoolguy_22 (02-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Post surgery, Sonny Gray relishing smooth delivery

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/sonny-...ward-to-season
    From the article...remember all the wailing and gnashing of teeth last spring....

Elbow stiffness in camp last year limited Gray to three exhibition starts, though he never missed a start during the regular season that followed.

13. Likes:

corkedbat (02-17-2020),DocRed (02-16-2020),Ron Madden (02-15-2020),Tom Servo (02-16-2020)

Sunday was the reporting day for Reds position players. Three players had yet to check in by the morning -- non-roster invitees Derek Dietrich, Boog Powell and Jose Garcia, who were all expected to arrive by the end of the day. Position players are scheduled to have physicals Monday with the first full-squad workout Tuesday.
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/nate-j...own-reds-squad

15. Likes:

DocRed (02-17-2020)

His first Spring Training is at big league camp, and top prospect Nick Lodolo is ready to learn

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/nick-l...-training-camp

17. Likes:

HammerTime (02-17-2020),RED VAN HOT (02-17-2020)

In a column titled "These are MLB's Most Underrated Players", they wrote this about Freddy Galvis

SS: Freddy Galvis, Reds
    I’m going to be honest and tell you that filling this spot without breaking any of the above rules was a real struggle. And admittedly, Freddy Galvis doesn’t bring much consistency with the bat (though he did hit 23 homers and 28 doubles last year).

But Galvis is among the most durable players in MLB, ranking sixth in games played (780) dating back to 2015. And the recently unveiled Statcast metric Infield Outs Above Average sheds new light on just how good he is at this pivotal position. He has been +12 on the OAA scale each of the past two seasons -- giving him the exact same tally in that span as Francisco Lindor. So while Reds fans have been pining for a Lindor trade all winter, they can take comfort in knowing they have as dependable a defender on their hands (especially important on a team with defensive question marks elsewhere). Now, all Galvis has to do is crank out 80 extra-base hits like Lindor, and Cincinnati will have the total package!

These were their criteria:

To be eligible for this team, a player must:

1) Have at least two years of service time (we need a little time for some semblance of a “rating” to actually develop).
    2) Have NEVER been an All-Star.
    3) Have NEVER been a finalist (top three in the voting) for a BBWAA award (MVP, Cy Young or Rookie of the Year).
    4) Have NEVER won a Silver Slugger, Gold Glove or Reliever of the Year honor or -- this is a new wrinkle this year -- been named to an All-MLB squad.
    5) Have NEVER signed a contract worth $100 million or more.

https://www.mlb.com/news/all-underra...020-mlb-season
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

19. Likes:

adkindo (02-17-2020),cumberlandreds (02-18-2020),Kc61 (02-17-2020),mace (02-17-2020),Mitri (02-17-2020),RED VAN HOT (02-17-2020),RedlegJake (02-18-2020),REDREAD (02-17-2020),redsfandan (02-22-2020),RichRed (02-17-2020),Ron Madden (02-17-2020),thatcoolguy_22 (02-17-2020),TRF (02-17-2020)

I've really wanted a deal for a premier SS since Barry Larkin hung'em up, but gotta say, starting Galvis there and batting him at the bottom of a strong lineup (and bench) will be far from a disaster. His bat is strong, if spotty and his D is under-rated. He's definitely an improvement over anything we've had post-Cozart.

I've now pretty-much accepted that a SS deal is not happening, but I still hope all is not done. I'd love to see a Brock Holt signing and I still feel like there may be another interesting (if not major) bullpen addition. I also believe that if Geno and Senzel start the season off the DL, there could still be a surprise pre-OD.

21. Likes:

Frank Robinson (02-17-2020),redsmetz (02-18-2020),TRF (02-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    his D is under-rated.
    That's what she said!

23. Likes:

WrongVerb (02-17-2020)

So, if you're Cincy what do you want out of this potential Padres-Red Sox swap? Is there a slam-bang SS prospect ready to come up for either squad?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...yers-swap.html

"Yet more intriguing? The real goal, per Acee, is to swing a blockbuster for a high-level talent. He notes Nick Senzel of the Reds and Francisco Lindor of the Indians as longstanding targets, but it’s not really clear whether either is realistically available at this point. There aren’t many other conceivable candidates to be acquired who’d meet the description of a “difference-making” performer."

25. Likes:

Tom Servo (02-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    So, if you're Cincy what do you want out of this potential Padres-Red Sox swap? Is there a slam-bang SS prospect ready to come up for either squad?
    Jeter Downs
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?