Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Reds Off Season Rumors,News and Discussions Part Three

Re: 2019-20 Reds Off Season Rumors,News and Discussions Part Two

Quote Originally Posted by 50YrRedsFan View Post
    I wouldn't want Taylor......strikes out almost 33% of the time. Last year: 366 ab's-115 K's.
    Reds need on base hitters.
    His last three years he's had OBPs of .354, .331 and .333. That would be one of the top 5 OBPs on the roster even with the added guys. I'd love to have Taylor. He'd be my starting SS.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2019-20 Reds Off Season Rumors,News and Discussions Part Three

These 5 teams could end playoff droughts in '20

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-teams-c...eason-droughts

4. Likes:

The Operator (02-01-2020)

NM

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    GABP should help Castellanos, but how much?

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/cincin...ck-castellanos
    It'll help a lot more when Suarez gets back and he is in a lineup with Moose and Suarez.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    GABP should help Castellanos, but how much?

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/cincin...ck-castellanos
    I have seen some of the graphics showing many of his doubles and outs at Comerica would be HR's at GABP. My fear is he has seen them also (of course he has) and feels like he needs to become a different hitter (more power) instead of just continuing to approach the game as he has and allow the results to fall where they fall.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I have seen some of the graphics showing many of his doubles and outs at Comerica would be HR's at GABP. My fear is he has seen them also (of course he has) and feels like he needs to become a different hitter (more power) instead of just continuing to approach the game as he has and allow the results to fall where they fall.
    I would think if he sees those charts he could also think if he just maintains and does as has been doing, his numbers may go up naturally from the GAB's dimensions alone.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I would think if he sees those charts he could also think if he just maintains and does as has been doing, his numbers may go up naturally from the GAB's dimensions alone.
    probably best approach, but I think it would be human nature for some to think if I just swing a little harder....maybe I can get a few more long doubles over the wall.

Re: 2019-20 Reds Off Season Rumors,News and Discussions Part Two

Quote Originally Posted by redsman2007 View Post
    Seems like the Dodgers were really only interested in trading Seager if they got Lindor. Somebody else mentioned Chris Taylor as an option. I could definitely see that happening.
    Looks like Dodgers are trying to move either Kike Hernandez or Taylor. They see them as the same player. Taylor would be my starting SS over Galvis. He could even hit leadoff and he is only $5M with two years of control. Reds need someone in addition to Galvis to play SS IMO.

There was a mlb trade rumors chat tonight and someone asked if the writer had any info on the swirling rumors involving Jean Segura to the Reds....anyone seen this?

12. Likes:

marcshoe (02-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaswaynem View Post
    There was a mlb trade rumors chat tonight and someone asked if the writer had any info on the swirling rumors involving Jean Segura to the Reds....anyone seen this?
    Didn't see the rumor, but: https://www.philliesnation.com/2019/...o-jean-segura/

"Defensive metrics weren’t kind on the job that Segura did at shortstop in 2019. He had 20 errors, a -1.3 ultimate zone rating and -5 defensive runs saved. That’s why he was open to moving away from shortstop, per Matt Gelb of The Athletic, and why the Phillies aggressively pursued Gregorius to take over there.

The issue is, the Phillies have decided Segura can no longer play shortstop on a contending team, and the rest of the league has taken notice.

He also has a full no-trade clause, and it’s possible that after playing for four teams in the last five seasons, Segura wouldn’t be interested in moving again. "

Either Segura or Taylor would be a welcome addition to the Reds.

I don’t know why but I have a feeling the Reds end up with Taylor.

I've always liked Segura, though I thought he disappointed a bit last year in Philadelphia. But if the Reds could land him with the Phillies picking up part of the tab I'd be very happy.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-04-2020),marcshoe (02-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    probably best approach, but I think it would be human nature for some to think if I just swing a little harder....maybe I can get a few more long doubles over the wall.
    I have honestly watched as much Tigers baseball over the years as Reds. I point this out because I have seen hundreds of Castellanos at bats and I have always had the impression he is a bit of a throwback “professional hitter.” I know that’s a cliche, but he just always seems like he is up there with a very specific approach and he really knows what he can and cannot do in the batters box. I just really do not think he’s the type to go up there and think “I’m in GABP, time to swing for the fences.” I, of course, reserve the right to be wrong about this, but I really don’t think Cast is the type to do what you are describing.

However, I could see Moose doing it.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

The Reds, who emphasized versatility in the last two years, have plenty of options to fill their infield in Suárez’s absence. Mike Moustakas is the leader to move to third base, his natural position. He’s viewed as a solid defender at third.

Nick Senzel is not expected to be a candidate to play third base, Reds general manager Nick Krall said, as he recovers from surgery to repair the labrum in his right shoulder. Freddy Galvis will likely be the everyday shortstop and Joey Votto will play first base.

That would create an opening at second base. Senzel is an option – he spent most of his 2018 minor-league season at second base – but he will have to answer questions this spring that he’s ready for the beginning of the season. He started throwing on Jan. 13. Shogo Akiyama will play center if Senzel is elsewhere.

“I’ll leave it to (manager) David (Bell) to communicate with Nick and figure out what to prepare for and how he wants to allocate the playing time,” said Dick Williams, the Reds’ president of baseball operations. “But we have talked about the fact that he’s a talented guy that can do different things. We owe it to him, at some point, to tell him what to prepare for this year.”

Another option at second base is a potential platoon. Utility player Kyle Farmer produced an above-average .822 on-base plus slugging percentage against left-handed pitchers in 62 at-bats last season. Josh VanMeter, a left-handed hitter, has experience at second base. Alex Blandino is another season removed from his 2018 surgery to repair a torn ligament in his knee, and he will be competing to make the Opening Day roster.

VanMeter had a .768 OPS against right-handed pitchers during his rookie season and Blandino posted a .689 OPS versus righties at Triple-A Louisville.

Suárez was expected to be in a sling for 3-5 days after his surgery, which was performed last Monday, then he will begin his rehab.

“Obviously, some guys respond better than others,” Krall said. “Just like Nick (Senzel), Nick also had shoulder surgery last year and he’s coming into camp and should be full-go. You’re just trying to make sure you’re doing what’s right for the player. While aggressively doing rehab, you’re also making sure they are responding and improving it as needed.”
    5:31 p.m. EST Feb. 2, 2020
    https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...as/4640752002/

Turn Off Ads?