Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Reds Off Season Rumors,News and Discussions Part Three

Re: 2019-20 Reds Off Season Rumors,News and Discussions Part Three

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I think it's entirely possible they pursued those other avenues and picked up Galvis' option with the thought that Jiggy can arrive next year. It all fits together pretty neatly.
    I agree....or it at least makes sense in hindsight. I will definitely keep up with the cat weekly this year and hope he progresses in AAA by the end of the season to the point where it is likely he will be an option on 2021.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I agree....or it at least makes sense in hindsight. I will definitely keep up with the cat weekly this year and hope he progresses in AAA by the end of the season to the point where it is likely he will be an option on 2021.
    Had they been able to deal for Lindor, his 2 remaining years might have lined up nicely for a transition over to Garcia.

4. Likes:

Chip R (02-26-2020),Rdirtypirates (03-01-2020)

I think it's entirely possible they pursued those other avenues and picked up Galvis' option with the thought that Jiggy can arrive next year. It all fits together pretty neatly.
    I disagree. They picked up the Galvis option the day after the World Series, then pursued SS upgrades all winter. That doesn't mean they don't like Garcia or that he won't be ready in 2021. I just can't get on board with the fact that a guy who has 2 pro seasons (1 good and 1 poor) in A ball would have any impact on this offseason

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    It may have been discussed, but curious given the Yankees massive setbacks in their rotation, is there anything they could offer us that would be worth moving Disco or Mahle? Their #2 guy is out for the year (Severeno) and their #3 guy is out until June/July? Personally I would not move Bauer, but some may even include him in the discussion. They would seem near desperate?
    I imagine they would empty their farm for Sonny Gray right now.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

7. Likes:

JFLegal (02-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I disagree. They picked up the Galvis option the day after the World Series, then pursued SS upgrades all winter. That doesn't mean they don't like Garcia or that he won't be ready in 2021. I just can't get on board with the fact that a guy who has 2 pro seasons (1 good and 1 poor) in A ball would have any impact on this offseason
    We speculated about SS upgrades all winter. What they've pursued, besides kicking the tires on a one-year deal with Didi (which still fits the Garcia timeline), is hazy at best. The most the Reds seem to have shopped for is a two-year SS option (Lindor). They have acted like a team that's got a serious SS prospect set to arrive in the next couple of years. I'm not saying they'd be right or wrong about that, simply that it seems to be what their thinking is. They could have cut Galvis loose and made getting a long-term SS option their top priority. Many people here wanted that, but it didn't happen. They kept a placeholder SS and they haven't gone big after any other SS options. I think you've got to look at who that placeholder is holding a place for to put it all in context.

I think they're pretty high on Garcia.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

membengal (02-26-2020),Ron Madden (02-26-2020)

garcia just clubbed a ball off the top of the wall, opposite field, with the wind blowing in for a double.

a star is born? (and yes, i know i'm overreacting, but i love this kid.)

11. Likes:

ballfour (02-28-2020),Ron Madden (02-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    I imagine they would empty their farm for Sonny Gray right now.
    i love it. not that it makes up for the chapman debacle (or does it?) but getting sonny gray for shed long and a comp draft pick was highway robbery.

How nice would it be for Garcia to have one of those prospect years where everything clicks? I'd love if he flew through AA and finished the year in AAA with him starting next year (well, after 2 weeks) in Cincy.

Garcia and Stephenson developing would be huge this year. As C and SS are the two hardest positions to find. And if the Reds could have good cost controlled options at those spots it would enable them to spend on offense at easier to find spots (corner OFs, etc...).

14. Likes:

JFLegal (02-26-2020),Tom Servo (02-26-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    garcia just clubbed a ball off the top of the wall, opposite field, with the wind blowing in for a double.

a star is born? (and yes, i know i'm overreacting, but i love this kid.)
    That's his third deep drive against the wind. Imagine what he can do if he ever checks the outfield kites.

We speculated about SS upgrades all winter. What they've pursued, besides kicking the tires on a one-year deal with Didi (which still fits the Garcia timeline), is hazy at best. The most the Reds seem to have shopped for is a two-year SS option (Lindor). They have acted like a team that's got a serious SS prospect set to arrive in the next couple of years. I'm not saying they'd be right or wrong about that, simply that it seems to be what their thinking is. They could have cut Galvis loose and made getting a long-term SS option their top priority. Many people here wanted that, but it didn't happen. They kept a placeholder SS and they haven't gone big after any other SS options. I think you've got to look at who that placeholder is holding a place for to put it all in context.

I think they're pretty high on Garcia.
    They may be high on Garcia.

I think it's a little revisionist history to pretend like they didn't want a SS in light of Garcia's hot spring and they didn't make a deal. There was 1 free agent SS out there better than Galvis and they went hard after him. They pursued Seager and Lindor but shortstops didn't move via trade, so it's not as if they were just passively interested while they were shipped out to other teams.

The Reds behaved all offseason like a team going for it right now. It wouldn't make sense to stop short (pun intended) when it comes to SS. It may work out for them by Garcia being ahead of schedule but it's not the plan. It can't be. You don't plan your playoff roster around single A players, no matter how good you think they'll be.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    How nice would it be for Garcia to have one of those prospect years where everything clicks? I'd love if he flew through AA and finished the year in AAA with him starting next year (well, after 2 weeks) in Cincy.

Garcia and Stephenson developing would be huge this year. As C and SS are the two hardest positions to find. And if the Reds could have good cost controlled options at those spots it would enable them to spend on offense at easier to find spots (corner OFs, etc...).
    Agreed, but I thought Garcia was projected to be AAA this year. Am I thinking of someone else maybe?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Agreed, but I thought Garcia was projected to be AAA this year. Am I thinking of someone else maybe?
    you're probably thinking of the other cuban ss, alfredo rodriguez. he can't hit a lick.

19. Likes:

SunDeck (02-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    They may be high on Garcia.

I think it's a little revisionist history to pretend like they didn't want a SS in light of Garcia's hot spring and they didn't make a deal. There was 1 free agent SS out there better than Galvis and they went hard after him. They pursued Seager and Lindor but shortstops didn't move via trade, so it's not as if they were just passively interested while they were shipped out to other teams.

The Reds behaved all offseason like a team going for it right now. It wouldn't make sense to stop short (pun intended) when it comes to SS. It may work out for them by Garcia being ahead of schedule but it's not the plan. It can't be. You don't plan your playoff roster around single A players, no matter how good you think they'll be.
    My take from the moment they picked up Galvis' option was they're not going hard after a SS, and they didn't. Didi went for a price they easily could have beaten. Instead they gave 4 years to Moose. We have no idea if they put more than casual call into getting Lindor or Seager. Seager in particular seemed to be pure online conjecture.

The picture fits together better if the Reds were quietly bullish on Jiggy. Only thing that's changed this week is they probably feel really good about how it's coming together.

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-26-2020)

My take from the moment they picked up Galvis' option was they're not going hard after a SS, and they didn't. Didi went for a price they easily could have beaten. Instead they gave 4 years to Moose. We have no idea if they put more than casual call into getting Lindor or Seager. Seager in particular seemed to be pure online conjecture.

The picture fits together better if the Reds were quietly bullish on Jiggy. Only thing that's changed this week is they probably feel really good about how it's coming together.
    i agree with this. i think the reds were in the market for a shortstop, but due to garcia they were not going to overpay. if they got lindor for 2 years and didn't have to completely sell the farm, that would have been fine. then garcia could have been his backup in 2021 and taken over as the starter in 2022. anything short of that, stand pat, and i think that's what the reds' plan was.

23. Likes:

Griffey012 (02-27-2020),M2 (02-26-2020),Ron Madden (02-26-2020)

Didi decided he wanted to play for Girardi, it didn't come down to $. Ken Rosenthal confirmed the talks for both Seager and Lindor.

They can be high on Garcia and pursue those targets aggressively. Just like they are high on Senzel, Aquino and India but signed Akiyama, Castellanos and Moustakas. They are high on Stephenson but pursued Realmuto and Grandal. The Dodgers love Gavin Lux but took their best swing at Lindor

So much can happen between A ball and the majors, you just can't make plans based on a prospect at that level.

I'll agree Garcia looks great and the organization could and should be high on him. I just can't get on board that this was their master plan 6 months ago

25. Likes:

corkedbat (02-27-2020)

Turn Off Ads?