• 1B Rylan Thomas

0 0%
  • 3B Michael Triana

0 0%
  • C Eric Yang

3 8.33%
  • Other - Specify in Comments

0 0%

Thread: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #21 Prospect???

2019-2020: Who is the Reds #21 Prospect???

Alright, back to the prospect polls.

I've received enough responses in the "pause" poll to know who you all want to vote on from here on out. Of the 100 some odd players I listed in the poll, I will hold on to 35 of them who received support from at least 5% of you. I'll continue to have an "other" option, but I'm forewarning you now that if you select that choice you had really sell that player in the comment section to the other voters, otherwise it's going to be a waste of a vote on your part.

***THIS IS A 96 HOUR POLL***

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2019-2020: Who is the Reds #21 Prospect???

Even though I've listed 96 hour poll, I'll likely close it earlier - around 10/11/12 pm EST on Sunday.....so 7-9 hours early.

If I find the time, I'll post a little on all of them, until then the 13 holdovers (all of whom received at least 5% in the pause poll) --->

(RHSP) Tejay Antone - The Reds 5th round draft selection in 2014 ($0.31M bonus - (SO) Weatherford College (TX)). Antone posted a combined 11W-12L record with a 4.00 ERA over 27 GS as a 25 year old at the AA & AAA levels in 2019. Antone was a 22nd round pick by the Mets in 2012, he declined their best offer to attend TCU, after being told by TCU that they viewed him as a reliever at the end of his freshman year he transferred to Weatherford JUCO and started his sophomore season, the Reds then bought out his junior year commitment to Auburn. He missed the entire 2017 season and a third of 2018 recovering from TJS. The Reds protected him from the most recent Rule 5 draft by adding him to their 40 man roster. He doesn't sport high velocity pitches - is more pitch to contact, but he does have good downward movement which induces groundballs at a plus rate. His future is likely that of a 6th/7th inning reliever but he'll likely continue to be rotation depth in AAA this season.

(OF) Mariel Bautista - The Reds signed Mariel as an International Free Agent in November 2014 ($unk bonus - INT (Dominican Republic)). As a 21 year old Bautista hit .233 - .303 - .332 in 103 A games during the 2019 season. The best way to describe Bautista is "Siri-lite". What I mean by that is he is an average to plus runner but a notch below Siri and is an average to plus defender but not too the level of Siri. He needs to develop more power, and he has the body to do just that. He has a better eye than Siri, so that's a plus in his direction. He probably could stay at CF for a couple of more years at least but with the CF depth the Reds have he's likely getting moved to a corner position full-time in 2020.

(RHRP) Connor Bennett - The Reds 34th round draft selection in 2015 ($0.25M bonus - HS (GA)). Bennett finished the 2019 season with a 3W-6L-13SV record and a 2.21 ERA in 57 combined IP as a 22 year old at the A/A+ levels. The Reds drafted Bennett as an undersized two way player out of a Georgia HS, they paid him to forego his WVU commitment; at the time he was pitching in the mid 80's and was releasing quite high. After working on his stance he now has a lower release point and sits in the lower 90's.

(RHRP) Michael Byrne - The Reds 14th round draft selection in 2018 ($0.26M bonus - (JR) University of Florida (FL)). Byrne played the entire 2019 season at the A+ level, putting up a 7W-3L record and a 4.27 ERA in 65 IP as a 22 year old. Those numbers are somewhat deceiving as the Reds tried early on to convert him into a starter which failed - 7.56 ERA in 6 GS and he finished with a 2.23 ERA in 31 relief appearances (there was some concern mid-season that his fastball wasn't fooling righthanded hitters). The former Gators closer sports a low 90's fastball and a developing curveball. He'll likely start the year in the AA bullpen and projects as a 7th/8th inning reliever in the bigs.

(RF) Fidel Castro - The Reds signed Castro as an International Free Agent in May 2016 ($unk bonus - INT (Dominican Republic)). The left handed hitting outfielder hit .292 - .362 - .514 as a 20 year old in 43 games (190 PA's) at the AZL level during the 2019 season. A fine line but that was with a .430 BAbip and also came with a 34% K/PA rate and below average defensive stats.

(RHSP) Miguel Medrano - The Rangers signed Miguel as an International Free Agent in June 2016 ($unk bonus - INT (Dominican Republic)). As a 21 year old Medrano posted a 3W-4L record and a 3.13 ERA in 60 IP at the RK level in 2019 (which was a demotion of sorts since he spent 2018 in RK - short season ball). The Reds grabbed him from the Rangers in an International Bonus Pool Slot trade two years ago with the hopes that he would develop into a big league starter, that's still possible but unless his secondary offerings improve quickly he profiles better out of a pen.

(SS) Braylin Minier - The Reds signed Braylin as an International Free Agent in July 2019 ($1.80M bonus - INT (Dominican Republic)). The 16 year old will play his first professional season in 2020 in the DSL.

(LHSP) Packy Naughton - The Reds 9th round draft selection in 2017 ($0.14M bonus - (JR) Virginia Tech University (MA)). Naughton finished the 2019 season with an 11W-12L record and a 3.32 ERA in 157 combined IP at the A+/AA levels as a 23 year old. Packy's command has improved greatly since being drafted, he has an unorthodox delivery and sports average pitches across the board. He has back of the rotation upside if all works out.

(OF) Mark Payton - The Yankees 7th round draft selection in 2014 ($0.04M bonus - (SR) University of Texas (IL)). Payton hit .334 - .400 - .653 in 118 AAA games in 2019 as a 27 year old, good enough to grab the Reds attention in the most recently completed Rule 5 draft. He's likely to be returned to the Athletics prior to opening day, he'll probably need at least one if not two other outfielders on the 40 man roster to come up lame in spring training. That being said, if he continues to hit like he did in 2019 he could have a big league career ahead of him.

(SS) Alfredo Rodriguez - The Reds signed Alfredo as an International Free Agent in July 2016 ($7.00M bonus & a $2.00M overage fee - INT (Cuba)). The 25 year old grades out as an average to plus up-the-middle defender. Rodriguez hit .267 - .314 - .327 in 127 games combined at the AA/AAA levels in 2019. If the Reds don't acquire another SS between now and opening day there is at least a chance of seeing him in Cincinnati this season, that chance goes up if Galvis were to go down with injury.

(RHSP) Mac Sceroler - The Reds 5th round draft selection in 2017 ($0.30M bonus - (RS-JR) Southeastern Louisiana University (TX)). After battling through a myriad of injuries in 2018 Sceroler pitched to a 5W-4L record and a 3.69 ERA in 117 IP at the A+ level in 2019 as a 24 year old. The big righty sports a mid 90's fastball and fringy secondary offerings, he has backend rotation potential but will be relegated to a pen soon if he doesn't develop a stronger changeup. He'll start the 2020 season in the AA rotation.

(OF) Andy Sugilio - The Reds signed Andy as an International Free Agent in October 2013 ($unk bonus - INT (Dominican Republic)). As a 22 year old Sugilio hit .294 - .331 - .360 in 118 A+ games during the 2019 season. Sugilio is a plus runner (though he makes too many mistakes on the basepaths) and has a plus arm. He has a sort-of-slap approach at the plate which limits his power. He likely profiles as a 4th outfielder at the big league level. He's set to start the season in AA as their starting RF'er.

(1B/3B) Rylan Thomas - The Reds 26th round draft selection in 2018 ($0.29M bonus - (RS-SO) University of Central Florida (FL)). The 22 year old corner infielder played in only 7 games last season due to injury. Thomas sports ++ power and a + arm (strong enough that there was some talk of moving him behind the plate at draft-time). He'll likely start in Dayton this season.

Voted Eric Yang C. Had a really nice 2019 in college and minors. Patient hitter as evident by his .428 OBP in his first minor league year and .479 at UCSB. He was a 7th round selection last year.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...=yang--000eri#

6. Likes:

M2 (01-30-2020)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Voted Antone again. I expect him to make more than 50 starts in the MLB barring another major injury.

His sinking stuff with ground ball focus plays perfectly in Cincinnati and his slider made major improvements last year. Those factors matter much more than his W-L record or ERA in AAA.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Just for the heck of it I went pure upside in Braylin Minier. I reserve the right to move off this choice for later rounds.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Voted Eric Yang C. Had a really nice 2019 in college and minors. Patient hitter as evident by his .428 OBP in his first minor league year and .479 at UCSB. He was a 7th round selection last year.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...=yang--000eri#
    I went with Packy, but Yang is a real good pick. Also like Wendell Marrero.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

DocRed (02-01-2020)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I like Isabel. I can see an Adam Duvall-type career trajectory for him.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I went with Packy, but Yang is a real good pick. Also like Wendell Marrero.
    I went Marrero, but Yang and Naughton were heavily considered.

Had Castro gotten out of Rookie Ball, he'd have been my pick.

Alas, he did not.

13. Likes:

DocRed (02-01-2020),M2 (01-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I like Isabel. I can see an Adam Duvall-type career trajectory for him.
    You can vote for whomever at this point without much pushback from me, but I would like to point out:

Duvall as a 23/24 year old at A+/AA - 1032 PA's, 188 K's or 18% K/PA
    Isabel as a 22/23/24 year old at A+/AA - 1,303 PA's, 486 K's or 37% K/PA

Not to mention Isabel is probably going to be a 1Bman only if he makes it to the bigs, Duvall was much better defensively.

I am interested to see where the Reds put Ibandel this year, hopefully he's not repeating AA again - I'd like to see how many homeruns he can hit in Louisville.

15. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-30-2020),Griffey012 (01-31-2020)

Keep 'em coming folks.

Turn Off Ads?