Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds have signed RHRP Pedro Strop (pending physical)

Re: Reds have signed RHRP Pedro Strop

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    The Reds 2020 payroll is currently on track to be the largest in franchise history, approximately 6% larger than the previous franchise record which was set in 2019.
    https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/ (Doubt this includes Strop)

https://www.redreporter.com/2016/7/1...the-reds-still

Looks like about 5 M is going to Jr. and Arroyo still this year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

So who is the 40 man casualty?

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    Romano or Shafer are the most likely IMHO

5. Likes:

GADawg (01-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    - $25,000 for 45 games pitched
    - $50,000 for each 50, 55 and 60 games pitched.
    - $100,000 for each 65, 70 and 75 games pitched.
    - $200,000 for 40 games finished
    - $250,000 for each 45, 50, 55 and 60 games finished.
    I can't see him making more than $175K in bonuses even in a good year. He's never finished more than 27 games in a year. Surprising that is what he agreed upon.

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    Was just looking at that. The tea leaves have a pretty good track record of predicting these. We have a glut of outfielders and pitchers. I don't think they'll cut an outfielder. I say they cut a pitcher.

I'd think it's certainly between Smith, Romano and Shafer. I say they bite the bullet and cut Romano. Shafer and Smith look like they have options.

Since there doesn't appear to be room in the bullpen and he'd have to clear waivers to go to minors, I say they do it now.

Romano. (My confidence level is not real high however)
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

8. Likes:

DocRed (01-30-2020),M2 (01-30-2020)

Re: Reds have signed RHRP Pedro Strop (pending physical)

Ain't no Stropping up now.

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Strop actually had a very typical season last year by way of measuring skill through peripherals.

His home runs were up, but his GB/FB ratio was almost exactly in line with is career norms. The extra homers came from a huge spike in HR/FB ratio (13.6% up from his career average 6.8%).

His strikeouts were above career average (27.5%, which was actually higher than both 2017 and 2018).

His walks were only modestly higher (11.2%, way up from 2018 at 8.8% but close to in line with career average 10.7%)

Also, his BABIP took a bit of a spike. Three of the last four years it was in the .220 range, it jumped back to .278 (his career is .263). This despite his LD% being pretty stationary.

Honestly, I think there is enough evidence to say last year was a little more due to randomness than declining skillset. Maybe a little of both, but more bad luck than bad skill. I think this is a guy that will have another good season if he stays healthy.
    Last edited by Brutus; 01-30-2020 at 03:23 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

11. Likes:

CaiGuy (01-30-2020),kaldaniels (01-30-2020),MrRedSkull (01-30-2020),Tom Servo (01-30-2020),wally post (01-30-2020),wheels (01-30-2020)

Good deal for the Reds.

13. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (01-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Strop actually had a very typical season last year by way of measuring skill through peripherals.

His home runs were up, but his GB/FB ratio was almost exactly in line with is career norms. The extra homers came from a huge spike in HR/FB ratio (13.6% up from his career average 6.8%).

His strikeouts were above career average (27.5%, which was actually higher than both 2017 and 2018).

His walks were only modestly higher (11.2%, way up from 2018 at 8.8% but close to in line with career average 10.7%)

Also, his BABIP took a bit of a spike. Three of the last four years it was in the .220 range, it jumped back to .278 (his career is .263). This despite his LD% being pretty stationary.

Honestly, I think there is enough evidence to say last year was a little more due to randomness than declining skillset. Maybe a little of both, but more bad luck than bad skill. I think this is a guy that will have another good season if he stays healthy.
    He's the poster boy for what we always say about relievers.

You just never know what can happen in fifty innings. The best starting pitchers in the history of Baseball will have a tough few innings over a season.

His full body of work warrants a decent shot.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

15. Likes:

Brutus (01-30-2020)

Did someone say 'pending physical'?

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-31-2020),Gallen5862 (01-30-2020),M2 (01-30-2020),MrRedSkull (01-30-2020),Puffy (01-31-2020),redsmetz (01-30-2020)

I guess Josh D. Smith will be DFA

I’m ok with Strop as a bounce back candidate. But let’s not chalk everything up to randomness. There were underlying performance issues last season.

According to Fangraphs’ pitch values, Stop’s fastball value declined from +4.7 to -7.1 in 2019-20. The Pitch Value velocity readings showed a decline in Strop’s average fastball velocity from 95.4 to 93.7.

I don’t view these as determinative, it’s only two measures, and Strop did suffer injuries last year. But there are indications of underlying issues, not just bad luck, not just randomness.

20. Likes:

757690 (01-30-2020),REDREAD (01-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I’m ok with Strop as a bounce back candidate. But let’s not chalk everything up to randomness. There were underlying performance issues last season.

According to Fangraphs’ pitch values, Stop’s fastball value declined from +4.7 to -7.1 in 2019-20. The Pitch Value velocity readings showed a decline in Strop’s average fastball velocity from 95.4 to 93.7.

I don’t view these as determinative, it’s only two measures, and Strop did suffer injuries last year. But there are indications of underlying issues, not just bad luck, not just randomness.
    Hence the cheap deal. He's going to need to prove himself.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

22. Likes:

RedsBrick (01-31-2020)

mlb trade rumors projected strop would get a 1-year, $5M contract this offseason. nicely done by the reds.

24. Likes:

DocRed (01-30-2020),RedsBrick (01-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    mlb trade rumors projected strop would get a 1-year, $5M contract this offseason. nicely done by the reds.
    Reds have now signed 5 of their top 50 Free Agents this year with a chance at a sixth if they can sign Brock Holt. Pretty crazy..

26. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-31-2020),JFLegal (01-30-2020),texasdave (01-30-2020)

Turn Off Ads?