Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Reds have signed RHRP Pedro Strop (pending physical)

Re: Reds have signed RHRP Pedro Strop (pending physical)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Literally every bullpen is full of question marks, it’s the nature of the beast.
    What's more predictable than a bunch of failed starting pitchers? What? Successful starting pitchers? yeah..I guess you're right.. LOL

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Not really. They signed Castellanos and Moose to market value deals and I think its fair to have expectations of and to count on a certain level of production. Strop is signed to a salary that is well below the average salary for a big league player. He was signed to a lotto ticket deal and that was all he could command though every team in baseball has a need for bullpen help. IMO, that is an indication of how he's viewed by the people making decisions in the game and should be viewed as nothing more than a lotto ticket. He's not a stabilizer (though he could turn out to be). He's just another question added to a stable of guys who are also questions. I have no expectations here. He might be awesome. He might have us longing for Wandy Peralta. That's pretty much a description of most of the pitchers in this bullpen. I don't have any more comfort level with him than I do with Sims, Reed, Deleon, Bowman, Kuhnel or any of the other questions. They need somebody better than those guys.

He's probably better than Romano, so I guess it's an upgrade to the 40 man roster and I'm not really against signing him. Still, I think the pen is a potential fatal flaw on this roster and adding Strop doesn't change that. I was hoping for a bullpen acquisition that would.
    Who are some relievers that fit your description of an upgrade you've been asking for all off-season? Aroldis Chapman, Ken Giles, anyone else? Any relievers aside from Giles who might be available? Does Giles even fit the description? He hasn't exactly been the model of consistency, 2 years with an ERA over 4.

The Reds are at a point where pitchers likely want to come here too, competitive team with great coaching. For a player looking to turn around a bad season and extend his career, Cincy is a good destination.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 01-31-2020 at 08:43 AM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

My take, every team in baseball says they need bullpen help, yet 29 out of 30 teams didn't think he was worth $1.8 Million.
    Actually, every other team may have thought he was worth $1.8M, he signed for more than that.

But seriously, that is just a terrible take on the signing. Just terrible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Likes:

SoTxRedsFan (01-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Actually, every other team may have thought he was worth $1.8M, he signed for more than that.

But seriously, that is just a terrible take on the signing. Just terrible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    He had the same take on Shogo signing.

It’s absurd.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I think Strop will provide a decent back end arm. I wouldn't be against adding another one, but I think the bullpen should be in decent shape.
    Last edited by redsman2007; 01-31-2020 at 09:57 AM.

My same Cubs friends who were crying in their beer over the loss of Castellanos are celebrating the Reds picking up Strop.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Who are some relievers that fit your description of an upgrade you've been asking for all off-season? Aroldis Chapman, Ken Giles, anyone else? Any relievers aside from Giles who might be available? Does Giles even fit the description? He hasn't exactly been the model of consistency, 2 years with an ERA over 4.

The Reds are at a point where pitchers likely want to come here too, competitive team with great coaching. For a player looking to turn around a bad season and extend his career, Cincy is a good destination.
    I don't think Chapman is realistic,. Ken Giles probably is. I'd prefer Tony Watson to Strop. Keone Kela. Ian Kennedy. Maybe Mychal Givens, but he'd need to be cheap like Strop. Off the top of my head, those are some guys. .
    Last edited by mth123; 01-31-2020 at 07:38 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Tony Watson's turning 35, is coming off his worst season ever, is owed nearly twice as much, and it would take a prospect to get him.

Kennedy is owed 17M$ this season.

Kela has had a ton of injuries prevent him from playing a full season over the past 4 years.

I don't understand why you think Strop is much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Tony Watson's turning 35, is coming off his worst season ever, is owed nearly twice as much, and it would take a prospect to get him.

Kennedy is owed 17M$ this season.

Kela has had a ton of injuries prevent him from playing a full season over the past 4 years.

I don't understand why you think Strop is much worse.
    Watson had a better year than strop and could be had for a spare part. He's a lefty and I think he's a clear upgrade from Reed.

Kennedy's money is why he could be had for little and KC would pay part of it.

Kela's injury history is another reason he'd be available, but he's been effective while pitching. ERAs below 3.50 consistently
    Last edited by mth123; 01-31-2020 at 08:09 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Even if KC did pay part of Kennedy’s salary, you’d still be looking at upward of 8-10 M for a relief pitcher.

And no thanks on Keone Kela. Dude threw at someone and then admitted it to the press. He also got in a fistfight with his own teammate. He’s a tool and not very bright, at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Even if KC did pay part of Kennedy’s salary, you’d still be looking at upward of 8-10 M for a relief pitcher.

And no thanks on Keone Kela. Dude threw at someone and then admitted it to the press. He also got in a fistfight with his own teammate. He’s a tool and not very bright, at that.
    Trying to win. $10 Million for a guy who can be trusted > 1.8 Million for a question mark. Question marks they have coming out their ears. Guys who can be trusted are in short supply.

Trying to win. $10 Million for a guy who can be trusted > 1.8 Million for a question mark. Question marks they have coming out their ears. Guys who can be trusted are in short supply.
    Kennedy can be trusted? Dude had a 5 ERA over the previous 2 seasons. He could be truly great or truly shat in 2020.

15. Likes:

Griffey012 (01-31-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Kennedy can be trusted? Dude had a 5 ERA over the previous 2 seasons. He could be truly great or truly shat in 2020.
    He was bad as a starter, but he was good in relief last year. I never liked him as a starter, but in relief he was good last year. Can't say that about Strop.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post

yep i dislike Strop but I loathe Kela....i'm gonna invite Strop over for a dinner before the season and see if we can settle our differences since they already signed him without consulting me

18. Likes:

JFLegal (01-31-2020),North (01-31-2020)

I don't think Chapman is realistic,. Ken Giles probably is. I'd prefer Tony Watson to Strop. Keone Kela. Ian Kennedy. Maybe Mychal Givens, but he'd need to be cheap like Strop. Off the top of my head, those are some guys. .
    You have been pretty vocal all off-season about the Reds not getting a consistent, good quality reliever and then you finally toss out some names and it is a lot of what we already have. There are about 20 relievers in baseball that don't come with question marks, that is the nature of the gig. This aura of a quality, consistent reliever you are after is mostly a unicorn. All of these guys would improve the Reds pen by adding the potential for another solid option with varying levels of upside, but that is what we have a bunch of, and that is what Strop brings too.

Tony Watson was bad last year (I believe he battled some injuries) 6.8 K/9, 1.5 H/9 in SF, that's not quality, he could be a disaster in GABP. He exercised his $2.5M player option, he must really have confidence in himself. How is he different than Strop?

Ken Giles was not good in 2018, bounced back last year. 2 separate years with an ERA above 4, he has been good, but not consistent.

Ian Kennedy spent 2017 and 2018 being a not good starter, went to the bullpen last year and excelled. Is he really that different than Robert Stephenson or even Cody Reed?

Keone Kela is an @$$hat, no thanks

Mychal Givens gave up 1.87 HR/9 last year, he's more of what we have, a talented arm that is a question mark.

I wouldn't be opposed to acquiring any of those guys sans Kela, but the reality is none of them are locks to be a high level reliever either. But they all have their own questions, consistency issues, or in Kela's case clubhouse issues.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 01-31-2020 at 09:50 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

20. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (01-31-2020),CaiGuy (02-03-2020),HammerTime (01-31-2020),The Operator (01-31-2020)

Turn Off Ads?