Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Reds have signed RHRP Pedro Strop (pending physical)

Re: Reds have signed RHRP Pedro Strop (pending physical)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    It's not command and control that's holding him back. It's spin rate. At his age and being out of options his best route is that of a 2 pitch reliever (fastball/slider).
    I don't think he's going to ever be any good as a two pitch pitcher. He needs his third pitch. He won't get it in the bullpen.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't think he's going to ever be any good as a two pitch pitcher. He needs his third pitch. He won't get it in the bullpen.
    Even with a changeup he doesn't become a good pitcher unless he adds a lot of movement to a very straight fastball.

So instead of working on 2 pitches (one that he's yet too develop in 26 years), he should refine the one he already has.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Even with a changeup he doesn't become a good pitcher unless he adds a lot of movement to a very straight fastball.

So instead of working on 2 pitches (one that he's yet too develop in 26 years), he should refine the one he already has.
    Then he still needs to start to do that. 100 pitches every five days gives him more opportunity to refine his pitches than 15 pitches twice per week. His pitches aren't big league caliber now. He needs more repetition to work on them, not less.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Wow all this talk for a pitcher nobody wanted, even the Orioles.
    Reds fan since 1968 win or lose.

Okay, somebody help me because the ole brain is slow this morning.

Romano was DFA'd and cleared waivers, then assigned to AAA. But if he is out of options, doesn't that mean he has to make the big league team out of spring training, or pass through waivers again? Or ... can he be assigned to spend the year at AAA?

I tend to agree that if he could spend spring training with the pitching coaches, and go to Louisville as a starter to work on his mechanics, Romano could develop into a serviceable back of rotation or bullpen arm. And for a guy throwing in the upper 90's, he could become a decent late innings bullpen guy. I'd love to see if the coaches could help Romano this year.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

He had to clear waivers to get sent to AAA. He did. Once that happens, he is a minor leaguer for all of 2020 unless Reds add him to the 40 man roster. Options only matter if you are on the 40 man roster. His future with the Reds would seem to be as a reliever (If he ever has one).

The only reason to work him as as a starter in AAA would be to give him more innings to work on things.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Turn Off Ads?