Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark horse 26th-man candidates - Position Players

Re: Dark horse 26th-man candidates - Position Players

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Votto, Moose, Galvis, Suarez, Winker, Shogo, Senzel, Aquino, Ervin, Barnhart, Casali. That leaves two spots. My guess is VanMeter and Farmer. Blandino would be the next in line. I don't think anybody else has a realistic chance.
    Castellanos in...Aquino back to AAA...still two spots - one has to be able to backup SS.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-31-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

As currently constructed, it comes down to 3 spots for four guys: Ervin, Farmer, Blandino, VanMeter.

VanMeter likely gets a spot as the lefty who can play pretty much everywhere. Ervin has the best approach of the four, and can make all three OF positions, so he'd make my team.

So it may just come down to Blandino vs. Farmer, unless they acquire Holt to settle the issue. But do we really need a 3rd C who can sorta backup SS and would be 3 or even 4th on the 2B/3B depth chart? I'd rather give Blandino a shot and cut Kyle Farmer.

Reds have at least nine players out of options. Ervin is one of them. Several pitchers, Romano, Reed, Sims, Stephenson. Also Schebler, Jankowski, Casali. Amir Garrett too.

Appears that Matt Davidson, Christian Colon, Boog Powell, some other minor league contact players are also out of options.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-31-2020 at 09:27 AM.

Romano might get booted once Strop is official.

Forgot about Davidson. I think I'd keep him over Farmer, too.

My point is, can someone please explain why we keep Kyle Farmer around?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds have at least nine players out of options. Ervin is one of them.
    In that case, Ervin is certainly a lock then.

In the unlikely even that everyone is healthy and fully ready to start the season, my bench would be:
    Senzel/Shogo
    Ervin/Winker
    Aquino
    Casali
    Blandino (just gotta have a SS on the bench - not in AAA)

Hard call on Farmer and JVM. Maybe I keep one if the bullpen looks good

Well, one of the bench guys will have to be able to play SS. I imagine that will be the deciding factor unless they pick up Holt.

Regardless, it is going to be nice to have a real bench made up of MLB players. I’m goingfg to say:
    C Barnhart
    C Casalli
    1B Votto
    2B Moustakas
    SS Galvis
    3B Suarez
    OF Senzel
    OF Shogo
    OF Winker
    OF Castellanos
    OF Aquino
    Utility Farmer
    Utility Someone to be added who can play SS. Ideally we add a quality SS and this spot is filled by Galvis. Which would also likely mean Ervin taking over one of the OF spots.

Jayson Stark
    @jaysonst
    MLB has told teams contemplating possible 26-man rosters for this season that the max number of pitchers per team has been set at 13.

That's been the assumption in front offices, but that's now a firm number

The message: You can carry an extra player - just not another reliever

I'm under the impression the new rules dictate teams keep 13 position players (and now I see that's been confirmed while I was posting), which probably translates to two backup IFs and two backup OFs. The backup IFs seem like the least set area. Farmer, Blandino and JVM would seem to have a leg up, but Colon or Davidson could unseat them. Also wouldn't rule out the Reds picking up another body. The OF has a logjam. Technically there aren't spots for Ervin or Jankowski.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Barnhart
    Casali
    Votto
    Moose
    Suarez
    Galvis
    Aquino
    Castellanos
    Senzel
    Shogo
    Winker
    Ervin
    Blandino
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by bah1286 View Post
    Regardless, it is going to be nice to have a real bench made up of MLB players. I’m goingfg to say:
    C Barnhart
    C Casalli
    1B Votto
    2B Moustakas
    SS Galvis
    3B Suarez
    OF Senzel
    OF Shogo
    OF Winker
    OF Castellanos
    OF Aquino
    Utility Farmer
    Utility Someone to be added who can play SS. Ideally we add a quality SS and this spot is filled by Galvis. Which would also likely mean Ervin taking over one of the OF spots.
    I think you hit this right on the button. We don't have anybody that is really ready to play SS for a longer stretch if necessary. What does make all of this interesting is if Suarez and/or Senzel is not ready for Opening Day. If Senzel is not ready but Suarez is, I think Ervin gets added. If Senzel is ready but Suarez is not, I think it is JVM or Blandino. If neither of them is ready, I think it will the whole thing could look somewhat different and someone like Davidson could get thrown into the mix.
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

Farmer Vs LHP - 274/338/484/822... and with a 3 batter minimum, I think he could be very useful. Good glove. Plays basically anywhere. Emergency catcher.

Im wondering if Aquino starts in AAA, unless he rakes in ST and forces their hand.

Lol@schebler

I’d say Davidson’s chances of making this club are close to zero. Same with pretty much all the NRI’s with the exception of Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Guessing Relief Pitcher
    We already kept an extra pitcher last year so it cannot be a pitcher.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I’d say Davidson’s chances of making this club are close to zero. Same with pretty much all the NRI’s with the exception of Jones.
    Why? He is the lefty masher who can spell Votto. Who fills that role for you? We have to have 13 position players.

Also, people keep saying Aquino to AAA, and I have yet to see evidence that he has an option and can be sent to AAA without passing through waivers.

Turn Off Ads?