Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best TV Series Finales

Best TV Series Finales

I watched the finale of “The Good Place” last night, and I have to say, it’s one of my favorite finales ever; right up there with “Breaking Bad”. So I was wondering- what would you rate as the best TV series finales ever? I didn’t follow “The Sopranos” but I know a lot of people think highly of that finale. What are some other nominations?
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Likes:

Chip R (01-31-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Best TV Series Finales

Six Feet Under

Halt & Catch Fire (I realize nobody watched this, but it was outstanding)

The Americans
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-31-2020),Chip R (01-31-2020),RFS62 (02-09-2020),RichRed (02-01-2020),RiverRat13 (01-31-2020)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Agreed on H&CF

Please no spoilers on The Good Place - I haven't seen the finale yet.

The Affair was superb

I actually liked Lost a lot

Breaking Bad

The Wire

I hated many more finales than I enjoyed (Game of Thrones, Sopranos, Seinfeld, Mad Men, The Leftovers, to name a few).
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

7. Likes:

Redsfaithful (02-01-2020)

Newhart

9. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-31-2020),Dom Heffner (02-05-2020),GAC (02-16-2020),goreds2 (02-06-2020),KittyDuran (02-02-2020),M2 (02-02-2020),RedsBaron (01-31-2020),RFS62 (02-09-2020),Roy Tucker (02-05-2020)

Boston Red has already posted my all time favorite TV series finale, Newhart. A few other finales that I liked would include M*A*S*H*, The Wonder Years, and Star Trek: The Next Generation. An inadvertent finale I liked was the final filmed episode of Firefly, with the sad music picturing Mal & Co. returning the body of a fallen comrade to his family, filmed after the cast had been told the show was cancelled; fortunately fans later got the movie Serenity.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Newhart
    Absolute best. I remember watching it the first time and was just blown away by the creativity. I read Newhart's biography and he said his real life wife came up with the idea of it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

12. Likes:

goreds2 (02-06-2020),RFS62 (02-09-2020),Roy Tucker (02-05-2020)

They call me "chef"

The Leftovers. The way they used the last two episodes as a dual series finale for the two fragments of the show was really smart and the proper final episode was very, very touching and beautiful and sad.

14. Likes:

Redsfaithful (02-01-2020),RFS62 (02-09-2020)

I thought about “Newhart” but honestly I can’t remember much about it except the amazing final thirty seconds.

“St. Elsewhere” had a similar ending, in which it was implied that everything that happened in the show had been imagined by an autistic boy staring at a snow globe.

It’s been a while, but I remember that the “MASH” finale seemed depressing and way too long when I first saw it.
    Last edited by chicoruiz; 01-31-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Breaking Bad

and

The Americans

are both jumping to mind.

Chuck was an underrated finale. I know more clarity on Chuck and Sarah was wanted but I think it was there and the moments with Jeffster! were classics- as always.

Angel was solid. It left you wanting and hoping for more but tied up things well. Only thing lacking was a Buffy tie-in. Buffy's finale was satisfying.

I enjoyed the Good Place last night. The commercials felt like it broke up things more than usual however- which could be from watching most of the series on Netflix.

West Wing finale didn't stink- which is really enough most of the time.
    Last edited by klw; 01-31-2020 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Halt & Catch Fire (I realize nobody watched this, but it was outstanding)
    *Jack Nicholson nodding*

It was divisive, but I really liked the way Mad Men ended...

19. Likes:

Redsfaithful (02-01-2020)

The Shield ended very strongly. I'd say the ending made up for a couple of seasons in the middle of its run that seemed to drag. I'd put it in the Halt and Catch Fire/The Americans tier. Justified was maybe slightly behind them but the ending was very satisfying.

21. Likes:

Danny Serafini (01-31-2020)

To this day The Shield is still my favorite TV show. Justified tied things up very nicely as well.

23. Likes:

Larkin Fan (02-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    I thought about “Newhart” but honestly I can’t remember much about it except the amazing final thirty seconds.

“St. Elsewhere” had a similar ending, in which it was implied that everything that happened in the show had been imagined by an autistic boy staring at a snow globe.

It’s been a while, but I remember that the “MASH” finale seemed depressing and way too long when I first saw it.
    The Newhart finale,IIRC, centered on all the towns people selling out to Japanese business men that were buying up everything in town. Bob was against it and was anguishing away until...............

I agree about the MASH finale. It was over dramatized a bit and too long. Still not bad though. Unlike Seinfeld final, just awful.

The Barney Miller finale was very good. It tied up some loose ends that had been going on since the inception of the show and brought back a lot of characters that had come and gone out the precinct.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

25. Likes:

goreds2 (02-06-2020),North (03-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    The Newhart finale,IIRC, centered on all the towns people selling out to Japanese business men that were buying up everything in town. Bob was against it and was anguishing away until...............

I agree about the MASH finale. It was over dramatized a bit and too long. Still not bad though. Unlike Seinfeld final, just awful.

The Barney Miller finale was very good. It tied up some loose ends that had been going on since the inception of the show and brought back a lot of characters that had come and gone out the precinct.
    Ooh.. Can’t believe I forgot “Barney Miller”... an all time favorite of mine.

“The Office” finale was pretty good for a show that had jumped the shark several seasons ago. It needed much more Steve Carrell, though. He only had a couple of lines; I wonder if he was only available for one day of shooting or something.

Turn Off Ads?