Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Daytona Tries to save the Tortugas ...........Kinda, sorta

Daytona Tries to save the Tortugas ...........Kinda, sorta

According to this article, Daytona needed to submit a letter pledging 4 million in upgrades to their facilities. They've sent the letter but there's no funding associated with it. They are hoping for grants

https://www.news-journalonline.com/n...inson-ballpark

And there's no real big hurry either......

As an aside when I was looking for this article because I read it a couple days ago. I saw a previous article where the Daytona owner was saying "Why do we have to play 140 games? Maybe if we just played 55 or 60 they could all be Thurs-Sunday games."

I don't know if that's a reference that FSL could go Short Season, or they'd operate full season but Mon-Wed would be "camp" days..... I kind of think it's the latter. Would cut down on costs.

Also.... based on this comment from Oct, Daytona seems to be on good terms with Reds

"It’s way too early to make a comment, but we don’t expect it to affect us at all,” Keur told The News-Journal. “We got back from our affiliate meeting with the Reds about a month ago and we couldn’t be happier in the confidence level we have with our partnership.”
    Last edited by JaxRed; 02-01-2020 at 11:12 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Likes:

REDREAD (02-03-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Daytona Tries to save the Tortugas ...........Kinda, sorta

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    "Why do we have to play 140 games? Maybe if we just played 55 or 60 they could all be Thurs-Sunday games."

I don't know if that's a reference that FSL could go Short Season, or they'd operate full season but Mon-Wed would be "camp" days..... I kind of think it's the latter. Would cut down on costs.
    This would be a fascinating new paradigm for minor league operations, similar to college seasons.

The most obvious benefit would be to limit innings for young, developing pitchers. You could also coach up teams similar to the way they do in Extended Spring Training, but throughout the season.

The problem, obviously, would be the difficulty of assessing players on small samples.

What other benefits or negatives could you see?

Re: Daytona Tries to save the Tortugas ...........Kinda, sorta

Would there be more guts repeating seasons in the same place to get more game action/experience?

Turn Off Ads?