Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Just one more acquisition...

Re: Just one more acquisition...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Can you please share a link to todays C. Trent podcast?

I posted this yesterday in another thread

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...as/4640752002/
    Trent was a guest on the Locked on Reds podcast. That’s what I was referring to. Easily accessible on internet.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    OF is the strength of the roster, without a doubt. If all of this "imbalance" stuff is a roundabout way to say they need an upgrade from Blandino, then we agree.

Couldn't disagree more on Senzel. The front office and manager have both talked about his ability to play IF. C Trent's opinion doesn't hold much water for me

Castellanos is a bad OFer too. I don't think he plays anything but 1B, if that. But let's not pretend like he is incapable.

I just don't think we are going to get anywhere if we can't agree that Senzel is an option for 2B (maybe not at the beginning of the season due to the injury).
    The “imbalance stuff’ means Reds have a deep OF and a shallow IF and a contender would have at least one higher level backup IFer.

The Reds want Senzel to be their starting CFer. They have said repeatedly that’s their current goal for him. They also said he is improving in CF and want that to continue. Neither he nor Castellanos will be generally available to backup infield. Their main responsibilities are in the OF.

Suarez has played shortstop, yet nobody would call him a backup shortstop day to day. Barnhart has played first yet nobody counts him as a backup infielder. Scooter Gennett could play OF but nobody called him a backup OFer. Billy Hamilton could play shortstop yet nobody considered him a backup infielder. And so on.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-04-2020 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The “imbalance stuff’ means Reds have a deep OF and a shallow IF and a contender would have at least one higher level backup IFer.

The Reds want Senzel to be their starting CFer. They have said repeatedly that’s their current goal for him. They also said he is improving in CF and want that to continue. Neither he nor Castellanos will be generally available to backup infield. Their main responsibilities are in the OF.

Suarez has played shortstop, yet nobody would call him a backup shortstop day to day. Barnhart has played first yet nobody counts him as a backup infielder. Scooter Gennett could play OF but nobody called him a backup OFer. Billy Hamilton could play shortstop yet nobody considered him a backup infielder. And so on.
    I'm not discussing it anymore. You stubbornly refuse to acknowledge any evidence that doesn't support your opinion. It's not worth my time

I'm not discussing it anymore. You stubbornly refuse to acknowledge any evidence that doesn't support your opinion. It's not worth my time
    I’ve addressed your points in depth, you just don’t like the answers.

I’ll sign off too but with one more point. Senzel is seen as a budding star. If the Reds had any thought of giving him meaningful infield time why did they spend on LTCs for Suarez and Moustakas, two full time infielders?

What they need is a strong utility player who can play shortstop reasonably well (or a major shortstop with Galvis as utility). Reds have improved, should be much better, but such a player is absent and would help balance out the club.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-05-2020 at 09:33 AM.

I’ll sign off too but with one more point. Senzel is seen as a budding star. If the Reds had any thought of giving him meaningful infield time why did they spend on LTCs for Suarez and Moustakas, two full time infielders?

What they need is a strong utility player who can play shortstop reasonably well (or a major shortstop with Galvis as utility). Reds have improved, should be much better, but such a player is absent and would help balance out the club.
    Because Saurez is a stud. And his contract is great. It has nothing to do with Senzel.

Senzel (shoulder) is not a candidate to move to third base while Eugenio Suarez is out, but it's possible he could move to second base, with Mike Moustakas shifting over to third, Bobby Nightengale of The Cincinnati Enquirer reports.
    https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ba...base-possible/

It seems like Senzel is an option for some time at 2b. Between the shoulder injury and not playing much 3b the past two seasons, 2B is a more viable option than 3B.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 02-05-2020 at 11:14 AM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

You've addressed nothing. Your entire argument is based on Senzel not playing infield. The front office and the manager have indicated he can play infield and the players must remain flexible to help the team. I can't help that you refuse to acknowledge that

We are in total agreement that they need someone else to play SS. That has never been in question

You've addressed nothing. Your entire argument is based on Senzel not playing infield. The front office and the manager have indicated he can play infield and the players must remain flexible to help the team. I can't help that you refuse to acknowledge that

We are in total agreement that they need someone else to play SS. That has never been in question
    I’ve said much more than that. You just don’t like the answers. Or maybe you’re not reading them.

But the bottom line is that Reds are overflowing with good quality outfielders but don’t have sufficiently high quality infield depth. That’s been my point, it’s true, and nothing you have said alters that.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-05-2020 at 01:03 PM.

I’ve said much more than that. You just don’t like the answers. Or maybe you’re not reading them.

But the bottom line is that Reds are overflowing with good quality outfielders but don’t have sufficiently high quality infield depth. That’s been my point, it’s true, and nothing you have said alters that.
    They are overflowing with ofs, but not good quality options. Everyone of them has questions which is why they stock piled so many. I could list all the questions, but I am sure everyone knows what they are. My point being is you need more players for postitions you deem as weak. The infield is pretty much set as far as starters so you don't need to keep adding players.

The only infield spot that really lacks depth is SS, and I think most people agree this will be addressed. If not you still have Blandino and Colon to back up Galvis. You have plenty of mix and match options at the other three positions that won't effect you much offensively or defensively.

Has the front office and/or manager acknowledged Senzel's ability to play IF? That's the crux of everything. The rest of it is just a bunch of unhelpful insults about reading comprehension

If Suarez isn't able to start the season, the move HAS to be Senzel to 2B and Moose to 3B in the interim, right?? I would really hope the FO doesn't mess that up. And, if nothing else, it showcases to other teams that Senzel is fully capable of playing 2B...

Don't care about batting order, but if Suarez isn't able to go, the Opening Day lineup is..

C - Tucker
    1B - Votto
    2B - Senzel
    SS - Galvis
    3B - Moose
    LF - Winker
    CF - Shogo
    RF - Castellanos

12. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (02-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer22 View Post
    If Suarez isn't able to start the season, the move HAS to be Senzel to 2B and Moose to 3B in the interim, right?? I would really hope the FO doesn't mess that up. And, if nothing else, it showcases to other teams that Senzel is fully capable of playing 2B...

Don't care about batting order, but if Suarez isn't able to go, the Opening Day lineup is..

C - Tucker
    1B - Votto
    2B - Senzel
    SS - Galvis
    3B - Moose
    LF - Winker
    CF - Shogo
    RF - Castellanos
    I think it depends on how long he is out for. If the expectation is a couple games and it is mostly against RHP, I'd expect to see JVM up and playing 2b. If it is a longer absence, such as 15 days or so, I would expect you to be right.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

14. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-05-2020)

Has the front office and/or manager acknowledged Senzel's ability to play IF? That's the crux of everything. The rest of it is just a bunch of unhelpful insults about reading comprehension
    Someone who throws around “disingenuous”’; “deceiving” and the like shouldn’t claim insults. For the record, I questioned whether you bothered to read my posts not the comprehension. Whichever it is, I don’t see your arguments as being persuasive.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-05-2020 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    They are overflowing with ofs, but not good quality options. Everyone of them has questions which is why they stock piled so many. I could list all the questions, but I am sure everyone knows what they are. My point being is you need more players for postitions you deem as weak. The infield is pretty much set as far as starters so you don't need to keep adding players.

The only infield spot that really lacks depth is SS, and I think most people agree this will be addressed. If not you still have Blandino and Colon to back up Galvis. You have plenty of mix and match options at the other three positions that won't effect you much offensively or defensively.
    From among Winker, Ervin, Aquino, Castellanos, Shogo, and Senzel you have real OF depth. Maybe few true star players, but a very deep solid group.

The IF has more stars among starters, Votto, Moose, Suarez. But I can’t agree with you on the bench.of Van Meter, Blandino, Farmer and Colon. VM is interesting - even he played mostly OF last year in the bigs.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-05-2020 at 04:27 PM.

Someone who throws around “disingenuous”’; “deceiving” and the like shouldn’t claim insults. For the record, I question whether you bothered to read my posts not the comprehension. Whichever it is, you can’t meet the arguments. The imbalance I claimed is clear as a bell.
    I didn't say you were the only one guilty of throwing insults. I was owning my part in it. Since this just keeps going personal and there is no substance, I think we're done here

From among Winker, Ervin, Aquino, Castellanos, Shogo, and Senzel you have real OF depth. Maybe few true star players, but a very deep solid group.

The IF has stars among starters, Votto, Moose, Suarez. But I can’t agree with you on the bench.of Van Meter, Blandino, Farmer and Colon.
    I agree it is a weak inf bench if you look at it that way. My thinking is it will be a lot more mix and matching of starters moving around. With Moose backing up first and third which is solid. I think where the disconnect comes is the opinion on how Senzel will be used. I think while Moose rests or plays another position Senzel will be at second base. With the shoulder injury it would not put much wear and tear on his arm. If and when they get their SS I see a very solid infield.

As for why I think Senzel to 2nd as backup makes sense, it won't effect his shoulder, he is above average defensively, he has experience, and you get to get another outfielder in the game. Last year I was dead set against any move of Senzel, but as the Reds are currently constructed it makes too much sense. 30 to 40 games at second base won't hurt his development in cf. They are going for it this year, and this is the best way to maximize your talent.

Turn Off Ads?