Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Least Likely to Stick: 40-Man Roster Games

Least Likely to Stick: 40-Man Roster Games

KC's discussion about balancing the 40-man roster with another infielder (or two) got me to thinking. What under-the-radar Red would I target as an opposing team if I wanted cheap help? He'd have to be available, and I'd have to have a plan for him on my team. I'd also not want to give up much of anything to acquire him. In short, if I'm dumpster diving the Reds, who am I targeting?

My picks:
    Scott Schebler
    The deepest of deep cuts, Schebler's pretty much been forgotten in the Queen City. And after last April, who can blame you? Still, he's shown over his career that he's a solid second-division OF capable of hitting 30+ HR and delivering solid if unspectacular defense in all three OF spots. He's way down the depth chart-- 8th or 9th among OF-- so he's definitely available and likely for cheap. Kansas City, Pittsburgh, and Detroit could all use him. Miami might also be interested.

Aristides Aquino
    Another talented OF who's dropped down the pecking order, Aquino burst onto the scene with a massive month, then floundered before righting the ship (kind of). He's cheap, controllable and has an option remaining. He also has 70 power and a 70 arm (at least) in RF. He might also have 70 speed (at least as measured by Statcast). At best, he'll play some OF behind Castellanos and some combination of three or four others, so he's good and blocked. Aquino will get you 40 HR in a season if you give him a spot. It might come with a .217 BA and a .270 OBP. It will probably come with very good defense too. That has some value. Seattle and the aforementioned Kansas City and Detroit should be willing to gamble on that power playing. Baltimore should be calling everyday to see if he's available.

Sal Romano
    Out of options and hasn't been as effective as his pure stuff suggests he should. Romano needs major league innings to see what's there, but is unlikely to break through a bevy of similar arms in Cincinnati. He's cheap and controllable. He can dial it up to the mid-90's often. He looks to be a workhorse who can provide innings. As a 5th starter, he can save a bullpen. And he might end up much better. High upside. The Giants and Seattle could use him. So could Baltimore.

Tyler Mahle
    Speaking of upside, I almost didn't include Mahle on my list due to value as the 6th starter. Still, he's likely ticketed for Louisville (unless Bell, Williams, Johnson, and company decide they'd like him to play the Colin McHugh role). Great minor league numbers, solid peripherals auger well for improvement if given the rope. It'd take a bit, I'd think, to pry him from Williams. Toronto, Seattle, Pittsburgh, and Milwaukee could use him right now. So could Boston. Pretty much everyone except LA, the New York teams, Houston, Cleveland, and Washington could.

Lucas Sims
    Another out of options guy who can split time between the pen and the rotation, Sims has elite swing and miss stuff and some control problems to match. A larger park (Miami, San Francisco, Seattle) could contain some of his mistakes and perhaps put him on the path to a MOR guy. The Reds are likely to keep him in relief, so they'd need a solid offer. Still, there's more there that he's capable of, and he's slumming it in the long man role. He'd be of interest to just about every team in baseball, I'd imagine, but of particular interest to the Mets, Padres, and White Sox.

Cody Reed
    The last of the out of options crew who hasn't established himself in a full-time role, Reed was injured after being converted full-time to the pen last year. He showed some promise in both AAA and in his short time in the majors. Great stuff, he could also be an option as a LH starter if you're willing to develop and stick with him there. Reds would probably need a LOOGY coming back for him, as they have only Amir Garrett and Josh D. Smith on the 40-man. Everyone would be interested in Reed, even the big spenders.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Least Likely to Stick: 40-Man Roster Games

I am confused. Are these players that you believe may lose their spot on the 40-man? Or just guys who the Reds may give up for below market price because of the current depth chart?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I am confused. Are these players that you believe may lose their spot on the 40-man? Or just guys who the Reds may give up for below market price because of the current depth chart?
    Both.

These are guys who might provide good value to other teams who are also undervalued (and therefore less likely to stick on the 40-man roster) in Cincinnati.

Half those players don't belong in a list with the other half.

6. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-03-2020),HammerTime (02-03-2020),Tom Servo (02-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Half those players don't belong in a list with the other half.
    Agreed. Romano and Schebler may be guys who are in jeopardy of losing their 40-man spot, but the other four guys seem like locks to be valuable members of the Reds in 2020 and beyond, even in Mahle and Aquino do not start the year on the Reds 26-man Opening Day roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Agreed. Romano and Schebler may be guys who are in jeopardy of losing their 40-man spot, but the other four guys seem like locks to be valuable members of the Reds in 2020 and beyond, even in Mahle and Aquino do not start the year on the Reds 26-man Opening Day roster.
    Sims and Reed are out of options.

Mahle and Aquino are likely to start the year in AAA.

I'd guess all four are, to some degree or another, available. More available, IMO, than others on the roster.

I think Phillip Ervin is the answer. He's so far down the depth chart here that he's forgotten about. His options are gone so the reds have to keep him up. He's a classic tweener in that he can play centerfield for 30 or so games w/out killing you. Yes, he doesn't hit well enough to be a corner outfielder, but he rakes against lefties.

On a roster heavy with left handed outfielders he could be a useful guy, but he's just lost on the reds right now. If they don't sort out the OF, they're gonna end up trying to slip him through waivers at the end of spring training.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

I notice that Strop still
    Isn’t listed Olin the 40 man....how much time do you have to make that move? Are they waiting on the physical?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Sims and Reed are out of options.

Mahle and Aquino are likely to start the year in AAA.

I'd guess all four are, to some degree or another, available. More available, IMO, than others on the roster.
    I think Sims and Reed are near locks to start in the bullpen, especially when you consider that there will be at least 8 guys there on Opening Day.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    I notice that Strop still
    Isn’t listed Olin the 40 man....how much time do you have to make that move? Are they waiting on the physical?
    He hasn't signed yet, so no need to make a move. I'll assume he still needs to get in and take his physical.

13. Likes:

GADawg (02-03-2020)

Turn Off Ads?