Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downtown Macy's Headquarters Closing

Downtown Macy's Headquarters Closing

This is not good news for downtown Cincinnati:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/mon...wn/4657628002/

Those are 500 real nice jobs. Given the current state of retail, this isn't shocking but it's still painful nonetheless,

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/mon...wn/4657628002/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Downtown Macy's Headquarters Closing

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    This is not good news for downtown Cincinnati:

Those are 500 real nice jobs. Given the current state of retail, this isn't shocking but it's still painful nonetheless,
    Fwiw, this is a quote from the article: "The company said it will shift an unspecified number of jobs to Springdale, where it has about 480 employees. That number will grow to 950 after the Downtown headquarters closes, according to a company spokeswoman." So, it looks like most of these people can move to the Springdale office (assuming the jobs are compatible), plus I doubt a lot of the workers actually lived downtown. Change is always scary for many, but this writing has been on the wall for a long time.

They're closing 120+ stores aren't they? Not good, but I never shopped there much. Too pricey for our blood LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

As an aside, where do you guys shop? Macy's used to be my go-to place, but now their stocks are so low (but they can order it!) that they don't have anything that will fit if you are over six foot or aren't fat (but if you wear 38/30 jeans, you're in luck). Has anyone tried those online tailored shirts places? Seems pricey, but I don't care as long as the shirt fits, but I would prefer to see the color and material first anyway. I have tried Amazon Wardrobe, which is pretty awesome, but I still prefer to actually go somewhere and see a selection. Right now I just buy regular shirts and then take them in at home on the sewing machine (yes, I know there are "athletic" cut shirts, but they never have my size), but there must be a better way.

They removed the folks (got rid of them) who manned the registers located in the departments. You are on your own these days.

I maintain that J.C. Penney's shot themselves because they abandoned males...no tools, no appliances, little if any sporting goods, miniscule men's dept. and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    As an aside, where do you guys shop? Macy's used to be my go-to place, but now their stocks are so low (but they can order it!) that they don't have anything that will fit if you are over six foot or aren't fat (but if you wear 38/30 jeans, you're in luck). Has anyone tried those online tailored shirts places? Seems pricey, but I don't care as long as the shirt fits, but I would prefer to see the color and material first anyway. I have tried Amazon Wardrobe, which is pretty awesome, but I still prefer to actually go somewhere and see a selection. Right now I just buy regular shirts and then take them in at home on the sewing machine (yes, I know there are "athletic" cut shirts, but they never have my size), but there must be a better way.
    I like JCP and Kohls. And I get good deals on summer wear at Meijers. My wife and I use to like Target (closed the one locally here), but they seem to be going down-hill IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

8. Likes:

marcshoe (02-07-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    I maintain that J.C. Penney's shot themselves because they abandoned males...no tools, no appliances, little if any sporting goods, miniscule men's dept. and so on.
    Are you sure you were in a JC Penneys? LOL

I love the one over in Columbus (Tuttle Crossing) and Polaris .... Yeah, they relegate us men to the basement, but that's OK because the Men's Dept, Tools, and Appliances were all located there. They know what they're doing! LOL

Where I work, it’s business casual leaning towards the business side. No jeans, no polo shirts. Only shirts with collars. We actually have Tie Tuesday. I occasionally wear a suit if I’m presenting to directors or C level but the only other time I wear a suit is weddings and funerals.

I just order a lot from Lands End. Their shirt and pant sizes are consistent which I love. I hate sizes that aren’t. I go to Kohl’s for other stuff (jeans, polos, shorts, etc). For real dress up stuff, I go to Jos A Bank at Kenwood. They tailor to fit.

And as a complete aside, I’ve fallen in love with Allbirds shoes. The most comfortable shoes I’ve ever worn.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I’m in the same boat as Roy where I either have to wear a suit or business casual. I get my more durable travel suits from Banana Republic. I’ve gotten my last two suits from Indochino and would recommend it. I’d go to a showroom for measurements, but after that you can order suits and shirts online quite easily.

I got some shirts from Indochino as well, but just got them so we will see how they hold up. I usually get my dress and casual shirts in store at Banana Republic or online from a store called Ledbury who I like a lot.

By the way, I subscribe to this guy, who is probably the greatest man on the internet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uNuNuJCATo Because of him, I bought a sewing machine and tailored a bunch of shirts myself last summer, and it was a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I like JCP and Kohls. And I get good deals on summer wear at Meijers. My wife and I use to like Target (closed the one locally here), but they seem to be going down-hill IMO.
    Kohl's, but I'm old, have no taste, and like clearances.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

For dress clothes, measure your body, buy used on ebay, poshmark, etc.

Four figure suits for under $200 galore. High quality buy-it-for-life dress shoes for under $100 (Allen Edmonds is what I buy). Works great unless you're a really unusual size.

I thrift most everything else. The amount of clothing in this country is bananas, I can't stand buying things new just because of the waste. It's wild to me that department stores still exist at all.

Thrifting is a hobby for me though, would probably feel like a major pain to anyone who doesn't like it. And you can't really go in looking for one specific thing. I just have an ongoing list in my head of things I need or things the kids, etc. need and usually always find something we need. And half the time I find something I can ebay or whatever and come out ahead. Found a sport coat ($6) last time I went that will sell for $200.
    Last edited by Redsfaithful; 02-07-2020 at 03:56 PM.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-07-2020),GAC (02-08-2020)

My experience of shopping JCP and Kohl's, is they mark their new crap up like 50% then send you coupons to knock it back down to retail price or put it on "sale" at retail price.

Are you sure you were in a JC Penneys? LOL

I love the one over in Columbus (Tuttle Crossing) and Polaris .... Yeah, they relegate us men to the basement, but that's OK because the Men's Dept, Tools, and Appliances were all located there. They know what they're doing! LOL

Hmm...I haven't been in one for about 20 years. I didn't go into the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Kohl's, but I'm old, have no taste, and like clearances.
    Yep. You're my kind of guy. Was at JCP and Kohls last week because everyone is clearing out their Winter stuff. And I do the same thing at the end of Summer too. I'm set for the upcoming season (lol).

I bought a Levi hooded winter coat (reg $160, for $60). I don't own a "dress" Winter coat, and always wanted another pea coat (had one in the Navy). Reg $200 down to $89. And of course they always have this deal that if you put it on your card today they'll subtract 10-25%. I go-online a couple days later when posted and pay it off (LOL).

Turn Off Ads?