Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Downtown Macy's Headquarters Closing

Re: Downtown Macy's Headquarters Closing

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Hmm...I haven't been in one for about 20 years. I didn't go into the basement.
    It's not like the Alamo (Pee-Wee Herman reference)
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

Yachtzee (02-11-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    For dress clothes, measure your body, buy used on ebay, poshmark, etc.

Four figure suits for under $200 galore. High quality buy-it-for-life dress shoes for under $100 (Allen Edmonds is what I buy). Works great unless you're a really unusual size.

I thrift most everything else. The amount of clothing in this country is bananas, I can't stand buying things new just because of the waste. It's wild to me that department stores still exist at all.

Thrifting is a hobby for me though, would probably feel like a major pain to anyone who doesn't like it. And you can't really go in looking for one specific thing. I just have an ongoing list in my head of things I need or things the kids, etc. need and usually always find something we need. And half the time I find something I can ebay or whatever and come out ahead. Found a sport coat ($6) last time I went that will sell for $200.
    I've found some great deals at Burlington and VOA in Columbus. Brand name stuff cheap! And over here they have a store called the Nearly New Shop. Been there for ages. Used yeah. But not all of it. Excellent deals on casual and dress clothes. My brother is a banker, dresses pretty smart, and has been shopping there for years.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    For dress clothes, measure your body, buy used on ebay, poshmark, etc.

Four figure suits for under $200 galore. High quality buy-it-for-life dress shoes for under $100 (Allen Edmonds is what I buy). Works great unless you're a really unusual size.

I thrift most everything else. The amount of clothing in this country is bananas, I can't stand buying things new just because of the waste. It's wild to me that department stores still exist at all.

Thrifting is a hobby for me though, would probably feel like a major pain to anyone who doesn't like it. And you can't really go in looking for one specific thing. I just have an ongoing list in my head of things I need or things the kids, etc. need and usually always find something we need. And half the time I find something I can ebay or whatever and come out ahead. Found a sport coat ($6) last time I went that will sell for $200.
    How do you know something you buy on line will fit? I would think that'd be risky with new clothes but even moreso with used

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    How do you know something you buy on line will fit? I would think that'd be risky with new clothes but even moreso with used
    You measure two ways, one your actual body measurements, particularly important for dress clothes.

For more casual stuff, it's useful to have your body measurements, but what's really helpful is to find something that you own that you think fits perfectly and measure THAT. This also eliminates the problems caused by differences with brand sizing, vanity sizing, etc.

I've always liked vintage clothing, where you can't buy anything by what the tag says (a 40 year old "large" shirt is just as likely to be a small today, both because sizes have changed and because it's probably shrank) so I just carry that mentality over to everything.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    There's something to be said for knowing a good place that does alterations.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Way back in my past life in IT, I worked for May Department Stores before they were bought out by Federated/Macy's. The May Co. stores used to have a huge Men's section with a large selection of suits in a variety of price ranges. When I made my career change and went into Law and had to invest in some suits, I got some great deals because Kaufmann's (May) would always offer big sales on certain holidays and the sales clerks always kept extra coupons by the register to help you out. But since Macy's took over, the Men's department in general and the suit section in particular have shrunk drastically. Now I suspect some of it was due to the shift toward business casual in the workplace, but also competition from places like The Men's Warehouse and Jos. A. Banks. But I found it really sad because I got some great quality suits from them that, with some alterations, I still have 10 years later. They've lasted much longer and been much more durable than suits I've bought at Jos. A. Banks. As an attorney, I need to find good suits that can handle wear and tear. I had to stop shopping at the local Macy's because their suit selection was so small and seemed geared toward the slim fit suits, which doesn't really work for a guy in his 40s with a beer gut. Of course now the local Macy's is closing anyway.

Anyone know where I can find good, affordable, durable suits on a Public Defender's budget?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?