Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Passan: Betts to Dodgers official; Pending physical

Re: Passan: Betts to Dodgers official; Pending physical

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Eh, I would rather Betts go to LA than Padres. I don't want the Padres as a potential wild card. I'll worry about the playoffs if the Reds get there. If the Reds make it to the championship series and lose to LA that would be a great year.
    True, the Dodgers were winning that division either way and now they will keep Arizona and San Diego down by likely destroying them all year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This time last year did anyone think the Nationals were going to be the NL champ?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

4. Likes:

bm1475 (02-05-2020),Chip R (02-05-2020)

Kiley McDaniel
    @kileymcd
    Sources tell me the deal is

LAD gets: Mookie Betts, David Price, cash from BOS
    MIN gets: Kenya Maeda
    BOS gets: Alex Verdugo, Brusdar Graterol

Separately, LAD trades Joc Pederson to LAA for Luis Rengifo
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-04-2020 at 10:22 PM.

For what he was dealt for, the question becomes would the Reds have been better off waiting it out and getting Joc or signing Cast? Not saying they would have known. More of just a hypothetical on who you would rather have this year.

That Aquino/Joc platoon would've been something.
    Last edited by NeilHamburger; 02-04-2020 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    For what he was dealt for, the question becomes would the Reds have been better off waiting it out and getting Joc or signing Cast? Not saying they would have known. More of just a hypothetical on who you would rather have this year.

That Aquino/Joc platoon would've been something.
    Easily Castellanos

8. Likes:

DocRed (02-05-2020),marcshoe (02-04-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I know this might sound dumb, but I kind of wish the Reds had gotten on the Pederson trade. I’d definitely rather have him in the OF than Winker, and then they could’ve also traded Winker for a SS upgrade.

Andy McCullough
    @ByMcCullough
    Through patience, discipline and creativity, Andrew Friedman just added Mookie Betts (and David Price, one of the best pitchers of his generation) onto a roster that won 106 games last year. The Dodgers have ended this winter with a roar.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I know this might sound dumb, but I kind of wish the Reds had gotten on the Pederson trade. I’d definitely rather have him in the OF than Winker, and then they could’ve also traded Winker for a SS upgrade.
    Can you please explain to me how Pederson, who was just traded away for a mediocre utility player, would be an upgrade over Winker, and then the reds would then trade Winker for an upgrade at one of the hardest positions in baseball to acquire a quality player for? I’m not following.

12. Likes:

GAC (02-11-2020),SoTxRedsFan (02-05-2020)

Castellanos if for nothing other than the fact there was zero talent cost to acquire him.

14. Likes:

DocRed (02-05-2020),HammerTime (02-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Can you please explain to me how Pederson, who was just traded away for a mediocre utility player, would be an upgrade over Winker, and then the reds would then trade Winker for an upgrade at one of the hardest positions in baseball to acquire a quality player for? I’m not following.
    Because Pederson can actually play defense better than glorified DH level and hits well enough to actually play 150+ games, while Galvis can barely hit enough home runs to boost his OPS over .700 and it wouldn’t take much to upgrade on him.

Call me crazy but I believe this trade will motivate the Reds even more to upgrade SS. I just have a feeling something will get done before the season starts if not sooner. Correa would be my target. He shouldn't cost nearly as much to acquire based on his injury history but he's a stud. The Astros would likely be quite interested in some prospect capital and a comp pick considering there forfeited picks the next couple years. Probably wishful thinking but here's hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Because Pederson can actually play defense better than glorified DH level and hits well enough to actually play 150+ games, while Galvis can barely hit enough home runs to boost his OPS over .700 and it wouldn’t take much to upgrade on him.
    My point is moreso how is Winker worth a quality major league SS if Pederson, who is a better player, was just traded for nothing?

18. Likes:

GAC (02-11-2020)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Dodgers also have a rotation that is looking like a house of cards.
    Agreed. They're gonna miss Maeda, IMO.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

My point is moreso how is Winker worth a quality major league SS if Pederson, who is a better player, was just traded for nothing?
    I mean their control situation is wildly different, Pederson only has a year left while Winker is at least still pre-arb, he should still have 4 years left if I’m not mistaken.

You’d have to package him, but I imagine he has some value. I know it’s mostly wonky, but that trade simulator has Winker/India/Santillan as having twice the trade value of Marcus Semien. I bet it would at least get their foot in the door.

Or lower standards, Jean Segura and half his salary paid.

I don’t think Winker nets a huge SS upgrade on his own, but from a trade value standpoint, I’d say he’s much more valuable than Pederson. Joc is an FA next year.

Turn Off Ads?