Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Passan: Betts to Dodgers official; Pending physical

Re: Passan: Betts to Dodgers official; Pending physical

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I mean their control situation is wildly different, Pederson only has a year left while Winker is at least still pre-arb, he should still have 4 years left if I’m not mistaken.

You’d have to package him, but I imagine he has some value. I know it’s mostly wonky, but that trade simulator has Winker/India/Santillan as having twice the trade value of Marcus Semien. I bet it would at least get their foot in the door.

Or lower standards, Jean Segura and half his salary paid.
    Ok, that makes a little more sense. However, I think the Reds want to give Winker another shot at busting out. And I’m on board with it.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sox paying half of Price’s contract. So Dodgers have him for 3 years $46Mish. He seems like an asset at that point.

4. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-05-2020),REDREAD (02-05-2020)

The Pederson part of this deal seems a little off. They didn't seem to get much for him.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    The Pederson part of this deal seems a little off. They didn't seem to get much for him.
    It’s one year at a high salary for a league average OF.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    There are still more players that have not been named yet that are part of that deal

Fabian Ardaya
    @FabianArdaya

Angels-Dodgers trade is not yet done as players are being informed, source tells The Athletic. Angels getting Joc Pederson, a big league starter and a prospect from the Dodgers in exchange for Luis Rengifo and another prospect.

Kiley McDaniel
    @kileymcd

Source: Dodgers prospect OF Andy Pages will be heading to the Angels in the Joc Pederson deal, pending medical review. Pages hit 19 homers last year in rookie ball as an 18 year old (now 19)

Dodgers were a playoff lock prior this trade, so as Reds fans we can't be overly worried about how this influences the NL. Reds need to aim for the playoffs and go from there.

PS: go get Lindor.

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-05-2020),Old school 1983 (02-05-2020),The Operator (02-04-2020)

Great pitching beats great hitting. Price helps, but the Dodgers with an older Kershaw an Ryu gone is not 1-5 deep as we are.

Our staff could be very, very good.

Remember 1990. Muscle bats dont always win.

Having said that, yes go get Lindor!!!!

So something in the ballpark of Senzel and Desclafani for Price, Betts, and cash. You can quibble, but that's the ballpark.

It's interesting. From a $/WAR value standpoint, the Red Sox come out solidly ahead in that exchange -- like $60M ahead. The Red Sox package is basically break-even while their package is worth $60M of surplus value or more, less the cash transferred.

Of course, surplus value doesn't win championships, playoff wins do. Good values only really matter in a world of finite resources. And the Dodgers just added something like 4 wins to a team already projected to win more than 100 games. It's nice to have a $250M payroll.

Ultimately though, baseball is a game of high variance and small margins. Generically speaking, a 105 win team is only a 3:2 favorite against a 90 win team. Put a playoff caliber team on the field and you've got a reasonably good shot regardless of how good the other team is.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 02-05-2020 at 01:11 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

13. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-05-2020),Playadlc (02-06-2020),wolfboy (02-05-2020)

As much as everyone is gushing over the Dodgers I hope they realize that while their offense just got a lot better their starting pitching might take a step back from last year. They've lost both Maeda and Ryu and look to replace them with younger unproven arms in May and Urias. Stripling, Nelson, and Wood will compete with those two for the 3-5 spots in the rotation. Buehler was the ace last season as a rookie, can he be as good again in 2020? The biggest question is what level Kershaw will they get and will he be able to stay healthy. I still like their rotation (I like the Reds a bit more) but I think the loss of Ryu and Maeda is a step back.

15. Likes:

DocRed (02-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    As much as everyone is gushing over the Dodgers I hope they realize that while their offense just got a lot better their starting pitching might take a step back from last year. They've lost both Maeda and Ryu and look to replace them with younger unproven arms in May and Urias. Stripling, Nelson, and Wood will compete with those two for the 3-5 spots in the rotation. Buehler was the ace last season as a rookie, can he be as good again in 2020? The biggest question is what level Kershaw will they get and will he be able to stay healthy. I still like their rotation (I like the Reds a bit more) but I think the loss of Ryu and Maeda is a step back.
    It's not really a step back when you get Mookie Betts.

And their rotation is in pretty good shape. At worst they're a top 7 or 8 rotation, and if everyone clicks they may have the best rotation in baseball. That would take some combination of Kershaw, Urias, May, Price and Wood staying relatively healthy and performing to their potential, but it's not like they are all reclamation projects either. And Buehler is a solid guy to have at the top.

I don't understand what LA is doing in terms of their rotation. They are putting a lot of faith in Dustin May and Julio Urias.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    I don't understand what LA is doing in terms of their rotation. They are putting a lot of faith in Dustin May and Julio Urias.
    LAD has about 10 starting pitchers, a couple of them will click.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Not sure the Dodgers got much better...it really hinges on Price outperforming last year (same WAR as Maeda last year). I think Pederson, Verdugo could very well outperform Betts WAR wise. Rengifo seems like a backup SS to me and he's certainly not starting for the Dodgers. Plus the Dodgers are reportedly still gonna send another major league starter to the Angels.
    Last edited by DocRed; 02-05-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Who the hell do the Twins have?
    They must have some players. They only finished with 26 wins more than the Reds.

Turn Off Ads?