Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIP Kirk Douglas, 103

Re: RIP Kirk Douglas, 103

But, re Kirk Douglas, I don't need more proof. He isn't going to jail. But he's probably guilty like OJ Simpson is guilty.

2. Likes:

marcshoe (02-10-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I'm steering far clear of the other stuff (too ignorant on it to have an opinion).

What I can say about Douglas is he's the prototype leading man. Sheer intensity masking vulnerability while bringing physicality to the role has become what we expect in a male leading role, and you can trace it straight to Douglas. He begat McQueen, De Niro, Denzel and DiCaprio.

Moviegoers have had an insatiable taste for Kirk Douglas. They've wanted generations of him. I don't know who the GOAT is, but he's the chad.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

It's a good question. John Wayne was more of a monolith and Burt Lancaster didn't particularly act. Off the top of my head I can only think of the swordsmen, Tyrone Power and Errol Flynn, who had multiple scandals, including a statuatory rape accusation that played out during his lifetime, and Douglas had more of a legacy, arguably, than either of them.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    I don't need more proof.
    "More proof"? As is usually the case with old ladies (and dudes acting like old ladies) spreading internet gossip, the conspiracy crowd has not presented us with any proof. Somebody speculating about something on social media is not proof.

It’s not our job to present you proof. We’re not a jury. Some of us choose to lend credibility to the allegations and offer sympathy to the victim, even if far too late for Natalie Wood herself. You can do whatever you want.
    Last edited by Fil3232; 02-10-2020 at 07:46 PM.

The leading Old Lady here is thought to be Robert Downey Jr., who dated Wood's daughter. You might want to also check out Wood's autobiography where she talked about the incident without naming names.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    The leading Old Lady here is thought to be Robert Downey Jr., who dated Wood's daughter. You might want to also check out Wood's autobiography where she talked about the incident without naming names.
    And the Clintons murdered Seth Rich. Little old lady internet foolishness.

"It is one thing to believe victims. It is another thing to believe "people who pretend to secretly be Robert Downey Jr. on the internet."

https://www.wonkette.com/are-we-seri...dy-gossip-blog

Downey Jr has denied he has anything to do with this nonsense.

Good to know; I haven't heard that. I will say that the headline is a bit disingenuous, given that nothing is being done based solely on that post. As I've said, I read about this before Douglas died, and you've heard here about Lana Wood and about Natalie's autobiography.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 02-10-2020 at 08:05 PM.

Good to know; I haven't heard that. I will say that the headline is a bit disingenuous, given that nothing is being done based solely on that post. As I've said, I read about this before Douglas died, and you've heard here about Lana Wood and about Natalie's autobiography.
    I can’t find anything on Amazon that is an autobiography of Natalie. do you have a link- I’d like to read it.
    Something else: the rape is supposed to of occurred in 1955 when Natalie innocently went to Kirk Douglas‘s hotel room to audition for a part in a small independent movie he was putting together. In 1955 Natalie was acting in Rebel Without a Cause. As soon as she finished that movie she went to work acting in The Searchers. So during the year 1955 Natalie acted in two of the greatest movies in film history. Why in the world would she find it necessary to go and be interviewed for a role in a small independent film at that time?

https://hat4uk.wordpress.com/2020/02...cting-the-lie/
    Last edited by Mutaman; 02-10-2020 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    It’s not our job to present you proof. We’re not a jury. Some of us choose to lend credibility to the allegations and offer sympathy to the victim, even if far too late for Natalie Wood herself. You can do whatever you want.
    This is what bothers me. Today you don't need proof to sully someone lifetime reputation. No due process. An allegation is all you need. Sad that given this guy's extraordinary career and 103 yr life that so much is written in threads like this about Natalie Wood. We should be talking about his career in Hollywood and what he did to become famous and instead we're talking about this allegation as if he was proven guilty. Sad

- - - Updated - - -

If she didn't name names then we shouldn't either

Natalie Wood did not write an autobiography. She did write a brief summary of her life story in 1966 which was included in "Natalie Wood: Reflections on a Legendary Life" published in 2016. I have a copy. She did not mention the alleged rape nor did she refer to Kirk Douglas, although those "omissions" are not particularly surprising or conclusive. If the rumors are untrue, of course she would not have mentioned something that did not occur, but if the rumors are true her not writing about the incident is also consistent with the era and her need to protect her carerr and privacy. She did make it clear of her need as a teenager to escape the "cocoon" around her created by her mother.
    As far as Natalie not having time to interview for a role in 1955, that comment ignored the reality of her career at that point. "Rebel" had not yet become a cult film nor probably had even been yet released, nor had "The Searchers" been filmed. Natalie did not really become established as a leading lady who could perhaps carry a movie until the 1960s. As a career move it would have made sense for her to interview for a film with Kirk Douglas (assuming that happened). From what I've read it also would not shock me if Natalie was aware of a possible "casting couch" approach to securing a role. However, again assuming the rumors , the "interview" lead to brutality against her will.
    With regard to supposed "internet foolishness," as I have posted, Natalie's sister Lana discussed the rumor with me face-to-face in March 2017. My photo with Lana is still on my iPhone, dated March 9, 2017 (I just checked).
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-10-2020),marcshoe (02-10-2020)

I'm obviously conflating a couple of things, and I have no desire to track them down, so I'll leave it be for now.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm steering far clear of the other stuff (too ignorant on it to have an opinion).

What I can say about Douglas is he's the prototype leading man. Sheer intensity masking vulnerability while bringing physicality to the role has become what we expect in a male leading role, and you can trace it straight to Douglas. He begat McQueen, De Niro, Denzel and DiCaprio.

Moviegoers have had an insatiable taste for Kirk Douglas. They've wanted generations of him. I don't know who the GOAT is, but he's the chad.
    You mean, you can trace it straight to Douglas,...yes, Douglas Fairbanks, then Clark Gable. Clark Gable is where the bar is permanently set.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

"When Legend becomes Fact, print the Legend."
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

18. Likes:

Chip R (02-12-2020),Mutaman (02-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Really? I am curious to learn of the basis of that assertion.
    Let me first say that while I have not kept up with the funeral arrangements for Kirk Douglas, if there is or was a public ceremony I would expect a significant turnout, and while Lana Wood won't send flowers I assume a lot of Hollywood will do or did so. Douglas was a talented and charismatic actor who left an impressive list of films. With his passing about the only star left alive from the old studio system is Olivia de Havilland. He also left a son and daughter-in-law who are significant stars in their own right.
    Second let me correct an error in my prior post. I met Lana Wood in Williamsburg, VA in March of 2017, not November of 2017. In November of 2019 I met John Wayne's son Patrick Wayne. One of Patrick's film credits is a role in perhaps his dad's finest film, The Searchers. Natalie and Lana Wood also appeared in that film. Patrick spoke very warmly of Natalie, though not so much of Lana.
    Natalie Wood had a bit of a wild side as she broke out of child actor roles, such as in Miracle On 34th Street. In her career making role opposite James Dean in 1955's Rebel Without A Cause, she was having an affair with both actor Dennis Hopper, her contemporary, and with the film's director Nick Ray, more than twice her age. However by the 1970s Natalie, in her second marriage to Robert Wagner, from all accounts I've read was very well liked by the Hollywood community. The honorary pallbearers at her 1981 funeral were Rock Hudson, Frank Sinatra, Sir Laurence Olivier, Elia Kazan, Gregory Peck, David Niven and Fred Astaire, members of the then Hollywood royalty, as was she.
    In his 1983 book Adventures in the Screen Trade (a terrific read BTW), screenwriter William Goldman wrote of the Wagners "they were as well liked as any in the Hollywood community." He added that "few deaths in recent years have upset so many. Thirty years a star and a lady every year. Remarkable..."
    Robert Redford has written that Natalie's "passing left a scar on my fond memory. She was not only talented, but a youthful, eager beauty who seemed always to be blossoming. Hers was a personality that enjoyed and loved life. She is very much missed."
    It is common knowledge with those who worked with her.

Turn Off Ads?