Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 66 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals - non-owner complaining thread zone

Re: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals - non-owner complaining thread zone

Cards on the table, I just went and looked at a bunch of my saved TDN drafts and here is the range of players I have considered or taken the most often in rounds 2 - 4. Post FA spending spree, I sorted out CBs, S, and IDL from my considerations - after they spent $135 million to shore up those positions I am hoping they are looking WR, OL, and LB in rounds 2-4 in some order. I would be super grumpy over a TE in those rounds. BPA, but targeted BPA given the areas of need remaining would be my hope.

Note, some set of the players I have listed below are unavailable in each given simulation, but sometimes are available - enough that I get to choose from them every so often. Assuming no massive falling from the top 20 players, here is who I am looking at usually for pick 33:

WRs - Mims, Reagor, Higgins ( note - J. Jefferson almost never makes it to 33 on the mocks I do, and I don't really want Shenault)
    LBs - Queen, Baun, Murray (altho I admit to being not as high on Murray as some of the experts are and often pass on him for other positions)
    OL - Ruiz, Cleveland, Josh Jones (I REALLY don't like Austin Jackson based on some of what I have read and Niang is probably a reach here - Jones doesn't fall to 33 a ton, but just enough that I hold out hope that he's there for them to consider at start of day 2)

That's my big board of preferred players for top of round 2 - unless something crazy happens with one of the top WR or OT falling from top 20.

At top of round 3 I am usually choosing from amongst this crew in the mocks I do on TDN and Fan Speak:

WR: Aiyuk, Peoples-Jones, Pittman Jr. Claypool (Aiyuk could go as high as round 1 or as low as 3 - I would prefer him here - I am not as high on Peoples- Jones and Claypool as others arebut this is where they likely would have to be taken if not already gone)
    LB: M. Harrison, W. Gay Jr., J. Brooks, ADG (not a one of these four seems to be sliding to round 4 now, so if you want one of this group, this is the spot)
    OL: Isaiah Wilson, Prince Wonogho, L. Niang, R. Hunt, N. Muti, Josh Jackson, D. Lewis, L. Cushenberry (there's a lot of variability here in the mocks, but some combo of the names on this list will be there in 3 but most often only one or none slips to top of 4 - and any of this crew immediately decidedly upgrades the OL)

And the players generally available around top of round 4 that I like (this got harder when those damn comp picks were assigned and we slipped to pick 107:

WR: Van Jefferson, D. Duverney (often Duverney slips to round 5 in my mocks but I think come draft that is unlikely)
    LB: Logan Wilson, T. Dye (MAYBE on each of these guys- very possible to get here and both have already been taken - I would kill for Dye at top of 4 but that is only every so often)
    OL: S. Lemieux, S. Kindley, B. Bredesen, J. Simpson, L. Stenberg, B. Bartch (these are all IOL except for Bartch and Bartch may play best there in the NFL)

My general conclusions/working theories from six weeks of running mocks:

If you want an OT to challenge to play this year, has to come from a selection in rounds 2 or 3. IOL is deep enough that you can find someone at top of four (and RARELY 5) who might be able to challenge to start.

As deep as WR is, the true difference making depth at the top of the WR class are gone by middle of round 3 in almost every mock unless you are higher on Van Jefferson than I am. I think he and Duverney could immediately help, but I have them a good tier below the crew I have listed in rounds 2 and 3.

LB is deeper than we thought back in January (at least deeper than I thought) , but still no guarantee that there will be someone there in round 4 that we can count day on 1.
    Last edited by membengal; 04-02-2020 at 08:24 PM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-02-2020),UKFlounder (04-02-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I may be dreaming about Sewell as he looks like a Top-3 lock to me.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I may be dreaming about Sewell as he looks like a Top-3 lock to me.
    That’s for next year, right? It’s hard for me to look that far ahead.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

I think they go WR 2nd, G and LB in 3rd as they find a way to get an extra 3rd. LB 4th. WR and RB 5th as they find a way to get an extra 5th. CB 6th. OT 1st Rd next season.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    That’s for next year, right? It’s hard for me to look that far ahead.
    Yes. It should be part of the planning with Burrow. Get this thing right. The Golden Ticket is in their posession.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

This is a pretty great piece from Hobs on ZT and his current approach during the quarantine:

https://www.bengals.com/news/zac-adj...he-zooming-20s

Taylor is also going to be Zooming into the offseason workouts. There won't be any right away. They were supposed to start April 20 but have been delayed indefinitely, yet Taylor is working on what amounts to a virtual reality installation of offense, defense and special teams.

"We want to be as creative as possible," said Taylor, who wants to hold off on divulging his plan until he gets more specific. "We want to do the best you can making the install like you would do it in front of the room with the players. No different than that. They are professionals, no question about it, but you want to make sure there is some entertainment and you engage them as much as you can. We've all been in a virtual classroom before and it's easy to stray a little bit. We just want to make sure these guys are engaged so when we install it, it really hits home."
    Last edited by membengal; 04-02-2020 at 09:48 PM.

8. Likes:

Spanky (04-02-2020)

I am trying to imagine marvin under these circumstances and...nope , I can’t even imagine it.

10. Likes:

Spanky (04-02-2020)

I am trying to imagine marvin under these circumstances and...nope , I can’t even imagine it.
    It would be a teachable moment.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    It would be a teachable moment.
    "We wouldn't understand it."

13. Likes:

North (04-03-2020)

This is a pretty great piece from Hobs on ZT and his current approach during the quarantine:

https://www.bengals.com/news/zac-adj...he-zooming-20s
    I thought I read that Goodell wants all teams to do this (virtual training camp) if they can't actually meet.

Every team will have to. My observation is that the bengals have a hire in place who by virtue of age and teaching style is in position to do as well under the circumstances as they can. Marvin was good at some things, but distance learning and new approaches to things wasn’t on that list...

Every team will have to. My observation is that the bengals have a hire in place who by virtue of age and teaching style is in position to do as well under the circumstances as they can. Marvin was good at some things, but distance learning and new approaches to things wasn’t on that list...
    In his first game back at DC after replacing Austin, it took the staff half the game to figure out how the helmet mic works.

17. Likes:

membengal (04-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    In his first game back at DC after replacing Austin, it took the staff half the game to figure out how the helmet mic works.
    That's right. I had forgotten, and then I laughed out loud over what the hurdles would be now under Marvin...

19. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-03-2020)

Reader officially signed his contract so the hay is in the barn on that one.

Reader officially signed his contract so the hay is in the barn on that one.
    The tires have hit the pavement.

In these times, this is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I think they go WR 2nd, G and LB in 3rd as they find a way to get an extra 3rd. LB 4th. WR and RB 5th as they find a way to get an extra 5th. CB 6th. OT 1st Rd next season.
    I have gleaned from fan posts, nfl commentary sites, people believing they have done their research, and so forth from around the web, that our 2nd Round pick has come down to a choice of just a few players because most have been eliminated for various reasons.

Reason #1. All WR's are eliminated as it appears that those not taken in the 1st Round are more late 2nd Round prospects or further and not worthy of the #33 pick.

Reason #2. If the Safety Delpit is there, he would be eliminated because he can't tackle and the Bengals have made it clear they are done with players who can't tackle, no matter how good their other skills might be.

Reason #3. Carlos Ruiz has potential, but should the Bengals take him, that doesn't leave them with an impact player who can play LB in a 3-4 or 4-3 that comes anywhere near like Baun can play the position. Ruiz also is raw and would likely not even start his first season.

Reason #4. DI Jordan Elliott would be the most tempting player, as he could give the Bengals the ability to replace Geno Atkins, but by taking him, they are left with the same problem of Reason #3.

Reason #5. S Ashtyn Davis duplicates Vonn Bell, though could be a better cover man. Doesn't fill a need, though a good pick here.

No other options. The pick is Jake Baun. Knowing this is the pick, unless the Bengals were willing to move up from #33 in order to grab a WR that they covet, then I would risk moving down a spot, or two. Pick #34 might want to make certain they get their player, as long as it's not Baun, and the Bengals may as well pick up something for that if they can, but don't get too cute. I wouldn't trade down more than a spot or two before taking Baun. Fill a need with a quality player and move on.

What that leaves at the top of the 3rd Round isn't great. I would trade that pick to move down to the middle of the 3rd and try to pick up extra picks for next year, like a 3rd or 2nd.

When they took their last franchise Quarterback, Dalton, their next pick was LB (Moch), then G (Boling). The time before that, their next pick was G (Steinbach), then WR. So, looking at this, you could glean that Interior Offensive Line would be in play here, making Ruiz a real possibility. Ruiz's only issue is that he's raw physically and is unlikely to get the help a raw prospect needs this Summer and this Spring with no OTA's and a limited Summer Camp. He needs to hit the weightroom (should have been doing that since his College season came to an end). Ruiz wouldn't be a bad pick. It just leaves them grabbing a LB late in the 3rd or early 4th. The WR they picked up from the other league could work out, anyway, for now. Picking up a core interior Lineman isn't a bad thing.

Turn Off Ads?