Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals - non-owner complaining thread zone

Re: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals - non-owner complaining thread zone

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Baker and Kyler never had the "grades" that Burrow have. Kyler was considered very small and there were questions how his game would translate. Baker was also small and there were lots of questions about his game. In fact it was controversial whether the Browns should have drafted him #1. Winston had off the field issues and questions about his make up, although he did have all the physical skills. No one knows how Burrow will fair in the NFL but the point is that his measurables are above these other guys. He's the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck
    The difference between Luck and Burrow was that Luck was a known quantity for two years. He would have been the number one pick over Cam Newton had he come out the year prior. The concern with Burrow is he just blew up out of nowhere and whether Taylor can replicate the work that Joe Brady did.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Baker and Kyler never had the "grades" that Burrow have. Kyler was considered very small and there were questions how his game would translate. Baker was also small and there were lots of questions about his game. In fact it was controversial whether the Browns should have drafted him #1. Winston had off the field issues and questions about his make up, although he did have all the physical skills. No one knows how Burrow will fair in the NFL but the point is that his measurables are above these other guys. He's the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck
    I think the Baker comp is a good one because both were older QB's who really excelled in their final season. The one thing that does worry me about Burrow is he was a 5th year senior in his break out season. He went from a middle to late round pick to the first overall pick pretty much out of nowhere. If you weren't from Ohio State or LSU you likely had no idea who Burrow was. I don't mean this to sound bad, but Burrow was pretty much a football mercenary at LSU. He was a guy who pretty much studied football 24/7 at LSU or at least his senior season at LSU. He has a lot of advantages over his playing opponents, that he took full advantage of.

What concerns me is what happens when he isn't the elder statesman on the field? What happens when he isn't able to take advantage of his experience against the defense. For as good as Burrow was last season, you rarely ever see elite 5th year seniors play, they have been in the league for two seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The concern with Burrow is he just blew up out of nowhere and whether Taylor can replicate the work that Joe Brady did.
    You’re not really concerned about this, are you? I know I’m not. Nor would any team in the NFL drafting #1. After watching him play, this is beyond a non-issue. I honestly think the reason it’s occasionally brought up is because there’s nothing wrong with his game so people are just trying to find something negative about him.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

5. Likes:

membengal (02-18-2020),Redsfaithful (02-18-2020),RiverRat13 (02-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think the Baker comp is a good one because both were older QB's who really excelled in their final season.
    Outside of their age playing in college, Baker is not a good comp for Burrow. Their NFL careers will be very different even as they play for the worst 2 organizations in the NFL.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think the Baker comp is a good one because both were older QB's who really excelled in their final season. The one thing that does worry me about Burrow is he was a 5th year senior in his break out season. He went from a middle to late round pick to the first overall pick pretty much out of nowhere. If you weren't from Ohio State or LSU you likely had no idea who Burrow was. I don't mean this to sound bad, but Burrow was pretty much a football mercenary at LSU. He was a guy who pretty much studied football 24/7 at LSU or at least his senior season at LSU. He has a lot of advantages over his playing opponents, that he took full advantage of.

What concerns me is what happens when he isn't the elder statesman on the field? What happens when he isn't able to take advantage of his experience against the defense. For as good as Burrow was last season, you rarely ever see elite 5th year seniors play, they have been in the league for two seasons.
    Yes, he was a one yr wonder. But what doesn't change are his physical skills such as pocket presence, accuracy (particularly while on the run) and foot speed. But he's not a sure thing...he's just as sure a thing as the Bengals will ever get

8. Likes:

Redhook (02-18-2020)

Burrow arrived at LSU after freshmen had checked in in 2018. He basically had zero time with the playbook before practice started. I think it is telling that he threw for 394 yards and 4 touchdowns in the bowl game that year when given ample time to prepare for the first time.

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-18-2020),membengal (02-18-2020),Redhook (02-18-2020),Redsfaithful (02-18-2020),WrongVerb (02-18-2020)

No joke, this is is easily perhaps the best piece Hobson has ever written:

https://www.bengals.com/news/the-roo...-of-joe-burrow

It's long, but, read it.

Also, when you read it, try and reconcile the crap that PFT and others are throwing at the wall with the quotes from the people of Athens who are excited about Burrow being just a few hours away and how much Athens means to Burrow and make the he-won't-play-for-Cincy stuff make sense. You can't.
    Last edited by membengal; 02-19-2020 at 09:03 AM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

12. Likes:

Redsfaithful (02-19-2020),Sea Ray (02-19-2020),StRedlegs900 (02-20-2020)

I don't think Burrow has any real thoughts about pulling an Eli. And this kind of situation is the rare occasion where Mike Brown's stubbornness is a positive. If Burrow (or anyone else) wants to play chicken, Mike Brown has shown time and again that he won't be the one to flinch.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

NFL Trade (and Signing) Block

Bengals attempting to facilitate trade for QB Andy Dalton
    Unless Joe Burrow pulls an Eli Manning and declares that he doesn't want to be chosen by the team atop the NFL Draft, the Bengals will select the LSU quarterback in April. Thus, it makes sense for them to get rid of long-time quarterback Andy Dalton.

Dalton constantly failed in the playoffs for the Bengals, but he at least got them there several times. He's a passable starter and would be an upgrade over some of the other first-string signal-callers in the NFL. At the very worst, he would be an excellent backup. Some team will surrender a third-day pick for him.

Here are some teams that could trade for Dalton:

Chicago Bears: General manager Ryan Pace likely doesn't want to give up on Mitchell Trubisky just yet, but he can't enter the 2020 season with Trubisky as his lone viable starting option. He could add Andy Dalton just in case Trubisky continues to struggle. Perhaps Dalton can manage his new team to a playoff appearance.

New England Patriots: I have the Patriots selecting Jake Fromm in my 2020 NFL Mock Draft, but they'll need a veteran if Tom Brady signs elsewhere. I expect Brady to return to New England, but if he doesn't, Dalton would be a decent bridge to Fromm.

Detroit Lions: Matthew Stafford's back is in bad shape, so perhaps the Lions fear that he could pull an Andrew Luck and retire prior to the season.

Philadelphia Eagles: Given Carson Wentz's injury history, the Eagles may want to find a premium backup.

Carolina Panthers: Cam Newton also has injury concerns. The Panthers may want a stellar backup for him.

San Angeles Chargers: The Chargers likely have plans to draft Justin Herbert. Dalton would be a nice mentor for the Oregon product.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

My dream continues to be a 4th for Andy.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

OK folks...as some of you know, I go to a draft party every year. It started with just me and my brother in law but it's grown every year. We've never actually gone to the draft but that will all change this year. This will be our biggest party yet. My brother in law has major business connections in Vegas so it all worked out. Here's the scoop:

I've got a huge suite booked for me at the Bellagio (hopefully it's overlooking the fountains which is where the action will be). I'll arrive late Wednesday night and stay until Sat night. I plan to wear my Bengal gear and be in the midst of the madness when Joe Burrow is picked #1 on Thurs afternoon. (Look for me on TV ). I'll take in the moment and all but I won't stay there. After I've had enough I'll go back to the draft party which will be catered by my buddy and this party will go on through Friday night. There'll be about a dozen guys at the party. We are sexist. No girls allowed...

2019 sucked to be a Bengal fan but this makes it all worthwhile! I'm fired up. Can't wait!

17. Likes:

Redsfaithful (02-19-2020),Spanky (02-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    My dream continues to be a 4th for Andy.
    Look at what Baltimore got for Flacco...4th makes sense to me and Andy has a better contract.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

OK folks...as some of you know, I go to a draft party every year. It started with just me and my brother in law but it's grown every year. We've never actually gone to the draft but that will all change this year. This will be our biggest party yet. My brother in law has major business connections in Vegas so it all worked out. Here's the scoop:

I've got a huge suite booked for me at the Bellagio (hopefully it's overlooking the fountains which is where the action will be). I'll arrive late Wednesday night and stay until Sat night. I plan to wear my Bengal gear and be in the midst of the madness when Joe Burrow is picked #1 on Thurs afternoon. (Look for me on TV ). I'll take in the moment and all but I won't stay there. After I've had enough I'll go back to the draft party which will be catered by my buddy and this party will go on through Friday night. There'll be about a dozen guys at the party. We are sexist. No girls allowed...

2019 sucked to be a Bengal fan but this makes it all worthwhile! I'm fired up. Can't wait!
    Have fun!
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

20. Likes:

Sea Ray (02-19-2020)

It may have been in the other thread that I noted this - but I will be there too, Sea Ray. Flying in and due to land 8:30 am local on Thursday.

22. Likes:

Sea Ray (02-19-2020)

I think a 4th is possible. The worst case scenario is that they don't trade him until after free agency and Dalton's $17.5mm prevents them from signing someone.

Turn Off Ads?