The five locks, according to C. Trent:
    Amir Garrett
    Raisel Iglesias
    Pedro Strop
    Robert Stephenson
    Michael Lorenzen

Three more. Who you got?

2. Which OFs start at a corner OF spot?
    Castellanos is a lock. Who else is there?

3. Which OF starts in CF?
    Shogo or Senzel? What does the other one do?

4. Which OF go north?
    Locks includes Senzel, Castellanos, and Akiyama. Beyond that, you need at least two. Who you got?

5. Who's the backup SS?
    Right now, Galvis is the starter. Who's the backup?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Spring Training Battles

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    1. Which three relievers go north?
    The five locks, according to C. Trent:
    Amir Garrett
    Raisel Iglesias
    Pedro Strop
    Robert Stephenson
    Michael Lorenzen

Three more. Who you got?
    Sims
    Reed
    Thornberg

2. Which OFs start at a corner OF spot?
    Castellanos is a lock. Who else is there?
    Winker/Ervin LF platoon. Aquino to AAA or traded.

3. Which OF starts in CF?
    Shogo or Senzel? What does the other one do?
    Senzel, unless injured. Then Shogo.

4. Which OF go north?
    Locks includes Senzel, Castellanos, and Akiyama. Beyond that, you need at least two. Who you got?
    Winker and Ervin, as the aforementioned platoon.

5. Who's the backup SS?
    Right now, Galvis is the starter. Who's the backup?
    Galvis is the backup. Someone not currently with the club will be the starter.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Too soon for me. Only comments are that Senzel is only a lock if fully recovered from surgery. And I doubt the second shortstop is currently on the team.

5. Likes:

Kurt Stillwell (02-10-2020),M2 (02-20-2020),PuffyPig (02-07-2020)

Best Spring Training battle remains Babe Ruth v Lance Armstrong

7. Likes:

M2 (02-20-2020),Old school 1983 (02-08-2020)

I’m with WrongVerb with Reed, Sims, and Thornburg but there’s gonna be some real pressure to
    Perform during spring.....DeLeon and Josh Smith being on the 40 has to mean something and also Bowman and Kuhnel earned at least a legit look. I Don’t like Nate Jones or Biddle’s chances without something crazy happening

As for the other spots I still feel like somebody’s getting dealt which will clear it all up....I’m gonna guess we get Castellonos, Shogo and a platoon of Winker and Aquino with Ervin as the 5th guy and in the IF Blandino or VanMeter will be there if we’re down to 5 of’ers....I also think we might see Farmer getting the occasional spot start at short

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    I’m with WrongVerb with Reed, Sims, and Thornburg but there’s gonna be some real pressure to
    Perform during spring.....DeLeon and Josh Smith being on the 40 has to mean something and also Bowman and Kuhnel earned at least a legit look. I Don’t like Nate Jones or Biddle’s chances without something crazy happening

As for the other spots I still feel like somebody’s getting dealt which will clear it all up....I’m gonna guess we get Castellonos, Shogo and a platoon of Winker and Aquino with Ervin as the 5th guy and in the IF Blandino or VanMeter will be there if we’re down to 5 of’ers....I also think we might see Farmer getting the occasional spot start at short
    Senzel?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Senzel?
    traded! (along with Galvis)

11. Likes:

Frank Robinson (02-07-2020)

I think Sims and Reed are locks assuming health. No options. Everyone else battles for final spot.
    Winker is starting in a corner. His platoon partner is up for grabs. Could be Senzel.

Jones but it all depends on his health. If he is good to go I think he's a lock. Sims and Reed would be the other two.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

14. Likes:

Kilgore_Trout (02-08-2020),Old school 1983 (02-08-2020)

Am I crazy for thinking the Reds' fully intend to have Galvis as the starting SS this season, and are fine with that? (not that fans are of course) I just haven't seen anything indicating they are actively looking to find a starting SS, but I could easily be missing out on some "info" somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Am I crazy for thinking the Reds' fully intend to have Galvis as the starting SS this season, and are fine with that? (not that fans are of course) I just haven't seen anything indicating they are actively looking to find a starting SS, but I could easily be missing out on some "info" somewhere.
    All indications are you are correct. They are done adding besides maybe a minor piece or two (minors contract with an invite to camp).

I think Senzel gets work at both 2B & CF in ST. Then, if he's ready (and Geno isn't), Nick's @ 2B, Moose & 3B, Shogo in CF & Winker/Ervin platoon in LF.

Vs. RHP

CF Shogo (L)
    1B Votto (L)
    RF Castellanos (R)
    3B Moustakas (L)
    LF Winker (L) / Ervin (R)
    2B Senzel (R)
    SS Galvis (B)
    CA Barnhart (L)

Move Nick or Ervin into the 2-Hole vs. a lefty.

Could be interesting to see if Aquino gets any play on CF during ST. If Geno misses more than 1st week, keep Senzel @ 2B, Moose @ 3B and let AA full in in CG if they want to sit Shogo vs. a tough lefty. Then you can option Aristides when Suarez returns, if need be.

To start the season, I'm thinking (if healthy) Votto, Senzel, Galvis, Moustakas, Winker, Ervin, Shogo, Castellanos, Barnhart, Casali, Aquino are locks for the OD roster. That leaves two slots. If Suarez is ready then it's probably between Aquino / Schebler / Jankoski / Payton for one spot (could depend on if they want Aquino playing everyday in L'Ville) and van Meter / Blandino / Farmer / Davidson / Holt (Hey, a guy can dream). All are versatile, but SS ability could give Blandino an edge.

I'm still not totally convinced that a deal might not be made at SS &/or catcher before OD though (especially if Geno comes back stronger than expected & or AA tears it up this Spring).
    Last edited by corkedbat; 02-09-2020 at 08:22 AM.

18. Likes:

Benihana (02-09-2020)

only this club would consider not playing aquino he was the ost productive player in all of baseball for one month, yet people want to send him to the minors unbelievable

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    only this club would consider not playing aquino he was the ost productive player in all of baseball for one month, yet people want to send him to the minors unbelievable
    I think a lot of it depends on two factors- if there is another trade, and how he does in ST. Assuming no other moves, if his ST performance looks like August, he’ll be the opening day starter in RF (with Shogo in CF, Castellanos in LF, Senzel at 2B and Moustakas at 3B). However if his ST performance looks like September, he’ll likely start in the minors, being the only one who still has an option. He’ll have to prove that September, not August was the fluke.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    He was also one of the least productive players in baseball his second month. You know, after baseball saw he has a massive whole in his swing.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?