Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Training Battles

Re: Spring Training Battles

Quote Originally Posted by Red X View Post
    Issues isnt whether or not AA can play consistently at the MLB level. Its that Castellanos, Senzel, Winker, and Shogo are likely better players now, which is what the Reds need.
    Aquino hit .887 OPS against RHP last year for Reds. He hit .905 OPS against LHP for the Reds. .891 overall in 225 PAs.

You don’t just put that in the minor leagues. He’ll be 26 in April, an age when big hitters begin to thrive.

If he’s going to fail let him do it on the field. Reds have much to gain if he performs well.

The concept that Aquino would be at AAA with Blandino, Farmer and Van Meter on the Reds is, well, tough to take.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-10-2020 at 02:35 PM.

2. Likes:

Frank Robinson (02-10-2020),goreds2 (02-10-2020),KYExtemper (02-23-2020),marcshoe (02-10-2020),Spike (02-10-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Aquino hit .887 OPS against RHP last year for Reds. He hit .905 OPS against LHP for the Reds. .891 overall in 225 PAs.

You don’t just put that in the minor leagues.
    it is just a #'s issue right now and who has options. I think they really needed to make a trade. I would make sure Aquino is in RF on opening day, and he likely will because I doubt Geno is ready, but even if Geno is ready, he would be in RF if I was making the call. Still, I get that Ervin is out of options, and they do not want to give him away. I would send Winker down to work on hitting Left handed pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I know it will not likely happen, but if I am the Reds, I atleast have a discussion with the coaches and Senzel about taking a peek at him @ SS in spring training. Not sure there is much downside to playing him there 4-5 games. If it worked well, it would resolve multiple issues/questions.
    I would normally agree, but Senzel’s coming off rotator surgery, I don’t think they want to screw around with Senzel at short just now. We’re lucky if he’s ready to play the OF.

The clearest answer to all this is to trade Phil Ervin and replace him with a good utility player who plays shortstop. That would resolve the roster issues. For example trade Ervin for a prospect and sign Brock Holt.

Reds can’t allow minor league options to dictate the roster if they’re trying for the playoffs. Just make a trade and fix the imbalance.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-10-2020 at 05:33 PM.

It would be nice if we could leave Senzel is one spot for 2 straight seasons.

7. Likes:

RedsfaninMT (02-22-2020)

sending aquino to the minors is like autolysis

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    it is just a #'s issue right now and who has options. I think they really needed to make a trade. I would make sure Aquino is in RF on opening day, and he likely will because I doubt Geno is ready, but even if Geno is ready, he would be in RF if I was making the call. Still, I get that Ervin is out of options, and they do not want to give him away. I would send Winker down to work on hitting Left handed pitching.
    The Reds have already said Senzel isn't playing shortstop because of his shoulder and the throw.

10. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (02-10-2020),marcshoe (02-10-2020)

nm

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    sending aquino to the minors is like autolysis
    You are very frustrating. I responded to your post about Aquino earlier and you completely ignored the point that was made and posted whatever this is.

Aquino 2019:

August: 1.158 OPS
    September: .619 OPS.

This is a player that was DFA’d by the reds and not one other team in baseball was interested in taking a flier on him. That is how bad he was in AA.

He has earned nothing. People aren’t just saying to send him to the minors, they are saying he needs to prove himself more and if he goes out in spring and looks like September Aquino starting the year in the minors isn’t the worst thing for him. He has options.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 02-10-2020 at 06:59 PM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    You are very frustrating. I responded to your post about Aquino earlier and you completely ignored the point that was made and posted whatever this is.
    I think he's talking about that disease that's going around in China, but I could be wrong.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

One more point about Aquino: handing him a starting corner OF spot before ST is lost decade reds thinking. It’s a loser mentality. The Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, etc of the baseball world would never hand a player of his ilk a starting position in this scenario.

The reds need to stop with the loser mentality. It’s time to start acting and thinking like a winner.

Fortunately, I don’t think the current regime thinks like the reds of 10-15 years ago.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

15. Likes:

CaiGuy (02-11-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

One more point about Aquino: handing him a starting corner OF spot before ST is lost decade reds thinking. It’s a loser mentality. The Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, etc of the baseball world would never hand a player of his ilk a starting position in this scenario.

The reds need to stop with the loser mentality. It’s time to start acting and thinking like a winner.

Fortunately, I don’t think the current regime thinks like the reds of 10-15 years ago.
    Agreed. If these guys don't like competing, they aren't major leaguers.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

You don’t just put that in the minor leagues. He’ll be 26 in April, an age when big hitters begin to thrive.

If he’s going to fail let him do it on the field. Reds have much to gain if he performs well.

The concept that Aquino would be at AAA with Blandino, Farmer and Van Meter on the Reds is, well, tough to take.
    I know this sounds a little cynical, but how many days would it take in the minors to postpone Aquino to another year in Arbitration? With the outfielder overload and Aquino's option, could that be part of the equation?
    "Just shut up and play baseball"...Mike Piazza

Relax man, not a whole lot of us are calling for Aquino to be handed a gig on opening day.

I do think he's a valid option, unless he is traded between now and then or completely falls flat on his face in ST.

It's pretty clear the Reds have 4 OFs better than Aquino: Castellanos, Shogo, Senzel and Winker. So unless one of those guys is on the move, or Senzel gets a bunch of time at 2B, he'll be getting a start or two per week and a bunch of pinch hit abs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Relax man, not a whole lot of us are calling for Aquino to be handed a gig on opening day.

I do think he's a valid option, unless he is traded between now and then or completely falls flat on his face in ST.

It's pretty clear the Reds have 4 OFs better than Aquino: Castellanos, Shogo, Senzel and Winker. So unless one of those guys is on the move, or Senzel gets a bunch of time at 2B, he'll be getting a start or two per week and a bunch of pinch hit abs.
    Quite honest I do not believe that Winker and Senzel are clearly better than Aquino as outfielders. Baserunning defense and arm count. Aquino is the only one that has the potential to be a difference maker.

20. Likes:

Frank Robinson (02-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    Quite honest I do not believe that Winker and Senzel are clearly better than Aquino as outfielders. Baserunning defense and arm count. Aquino is the only one that has the potential to be a difference maker.
    We have reached the point where you don’t even think Senzel is a difference maker?

Turn Off Ads?