Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Training Battles

Re: Spring Training Battles

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    LOL so I guess Shogo playing left and right is in addition to him playing centerfield. If Shogo still is an above average defensive CF and can hit near the projections we have seen for him, it makes sense for him to be the everyday CF.

I am still so confused about what they intend to do with Nick Senzel.
    From mlb.com
    How Akiyama could work defensively for the Reds: The Reds are banking that Akiyama’s defensive ability will enable him to be an asset at all three outfield spots. The club is expecting Senzel to return as its center fielder -- assuming he returns without issue from right shoulder surgery, which he underwent in September.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/reds-offsea...defensive-fits

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think a little too much is being made of having too many outfielders and it causing issues. The 1999 Reds had Vaughn, Cameron, Young, Tucker and Hammonds.

They had:

Vaughn 643 PA
    Cameron 636 PA
    Young 409 PA
    Tucker 340 PA
    Hammonds 293 PA

And they all OPS'd over .800 except Tucker who still was .764. Point being, it didn't ruin them. The Reds will just need to mix and match.

4. Likes:

ballfour (02-21-2020),Chip R (03-03-2020),HammerTime (02-20-2020),mth123 (02-20-2020),RED VAN HOT (02-21-2020),RiverRat13 (02-21-2020),Ron Madden (02-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I think a little too much is being made of having too many outfielders and it causing issues. The 1999 Reds had Vaughn, Cameron, Young, Tucker and Hammonds.

They had:

Vaughn 643 PA
    Cameron 636 PA
    Young 409 PA
    Tucker 340 PA
    Hammonds 293 PA

And they all OPS'd over .800 except Tucker who still was .764. Point being, it didn't ruin them. The Reds will just need to mix and match.
    That's 5. Reds have 6. Castellanos, Winker, Senzel, Shogo, Aquino, Ervin. Question is how do they mix and match 6? Or does one get traded or sent to AAA?

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    That's 5. Reds have 6. Castellanos, Winker, Senzel, Shogo, Aquino, Ervin. Question is how do they mix and match 6? Or does one get traded or sent to AAA?
    Let’s not forget Jankowski

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    Let’s not forget Jankowski

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Or Schebler and maybe Payton. Thought I saw earlier this week that Jankowski has an option. If Schebler is healthy and productive, Reds could essentially have Winker as a trade chip.

At this point I think they keep 5 outfielders. Now injuries change things. Castellanos, Senzel, Shogo and Winker are locks. It comes down to either Ervin or Aquino. If you are truly going for it, and Aquino has a good spring I keep him even though he has an option and DFA or trade Ervin.

Then you have:

Vaughn = Castellanos
    Cameron = Senzel
    Winker = Young
    Shogo = Tucker
    Aquino = Hammonds

And it's amazing how similar it is if you squint just right.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    At this point I think they keep 5 outfielders. Now injuries change things. Castellanos, Senzel, Shogo and Winker are locks. It comes down to either Ervin or Aquino. If you are truly going for it, and Aquino has a good spring I keep him even though he has an option and DFA or trade Ervin.

Then you have:

Vaughn = Castellanos
    Cameron = Senzel
    Winker = Young
    Shogo = Tucker
    Aquino = Hammonds

And it's amazing how similar it is if you squint just right.
    I believe Senzel also has options I would not think it would be a bad idea to sent him to AAA to get his hitting straightened out especially vs right handers

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    I believe Senzel also has options I would not think it would be a bad idea to sent him to AAA to get his hitting straightened out especially vs right handers
    There is no chance that happens if he’s healthy.

11. Likes:

JarrodOnVinyl (02-21-2020),ochoa30 (02-21-2020)

I find it amusing that Reds fans want to give a guy a starting position based on a hot start. When at the end of the year it looks like the league figured him out.
    4.9 bb% 28.5k% .188/.242/.313 for a .555 ops to end the year. Plus the struggles with righties being right handed is also a big factor to me.

I have see too many players come out the gates strong and not live up to that hype

Btw I think he will be a solid player.
    Last edited by InsaneinthBrame; 02-20-2020 at 11:39 PM.

Just hoping for good health (especially after this Blazers season).
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-21-2020 at 12:40 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

14. Likes:

BillDoran (02-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    I find it amusing that Reds fans want to give a guy a starting position based on a hot start. When at the end of the year it looks like the league figured him out.
    4.9 bb% 28.5k% .188/.242/.313 for a .555 ops to end the year. Plus the struggles with righties being right handed is also a big factor to me.

I have see too many players come out the gates strong and not live up to that hype

Btw I think he will be a solid player.
    To be fair, Senzel was hurt at the end of the year.

If we are demoting everyone that faded after a hot start, then Aquino has to go to AAA, as well. When making a decision between the two, I think you have to look at Minor League track record. Senzel mashed at every level, Aquino was uneven in the Minors to to the point he was dropped from the roster.

How I see it:

Castellanos - 150+ game starter in RF
    Winker - 120 OPS+ bat who plays against RHP in LF
    Senzel - 125 or so game starter with 75 or so starts in CF and 50 or so at 2B (Combined 50 days off for Votto, Moose and Suarez with Moose the guy who moves around the IF)
    Shogo - 130 or so starts at all three OF positions
    Ervin - bench player who is clear extra guy/PH/double switch guy
    Aquino - Sell high.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

17. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (02-21-2020)

Not much discussion about the bullpen battles.
    But I’m one who thinks the pen’s 2019 performance has been overrated.

The pen started strong but as the innings built up it faded, and the closer was involved in too many losses.

My take on this team is it’s an 80-89 win team depending largely on health and the pen. Those are big variables.

Pen battles (3 spots in play) and possible pen additions will be important this spring. Coaching, improvements of relievers too.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-21-2020 at 11:37 AM.

19. Likes:

mth123 (02-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Not much discussion about the bullpen battles.
    But I’m one who thinks the pen’s 2019 performance has been overrated.

The pen started strong but as the innings built up it faded, and the closer was involved in too many losses.

My take on this team is it’s an 80-89 win team depending largely on health and the pen. Those are big variables.

Pen battles (3 spots in play) and possible pen additions will be important this spring. Coaching, improvements of relievers too.
    Now that they've added Castellanos and Moustakas, the pen is the weakest link. I see 7 guys who have the inside edge the night before games start. Iggy, Garrett, Lorenzen, Stephenson, Strop, Reed and Sims. Any of the seven have the potential to be really good and they all could be awful. My guess is a couple will be really good, a couple more will be solid, 1 or 2 will be below average who we want to stay away from in a close game and one will royally stink up the joint. The problem, based on the way they pitched last year and what they've accomplished in their careers to date, we have no idea which names will match which performance. It's going to take some trial and error for the first 2 or 3 months until they figure out who to trust and who's a bust. More games will be lost than should be during that period. I really would like to see them go get a guy with multiple seasons of successful late inning relief under his belt who also had a good year last year. They really need to try to force as much of the "tryouts" to non-critical situations. Given the names on the list, they simply can't do that. These days of 550 to 600 innings being covered by the bullpen, even four solid to better relievers leaves too many important innings in the hands of either tired pitchers who've been overworked or the soft underbelly of the pen. Keep adding.
    Last edited by mth123; 02-21-2020 at 06:21 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    only this club would consider not playing aquino he was the ost productive player in all of baseball for one month, yet people want to send him to the minors unbelievable
    agree, it was historic and those were not GABP homers at all

Turn Off Ads?