Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Spring Training Battles

Re: Spring Training Battles

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    So there are about four weeks left until camp breaks, and we've got some interesting stuff to discuss, but the answers are still muddled. Perhaps moreso now than when this was first posted. Small samples, obviously, moving forward.

Some observations:
    Relief arms
    - Williams and Krall have both mentioned Reed and Sims as near-locks going North. Sims has looked very good in limited innings. There may be only one spot for a relief arm to stick.
    - Speaking of other relief arms, they've nearly all been very good so far. The Reds seem to be looking at Brooks Raley as a reliever. He's LH and was throwing in the mid-90s in that role earlier this week. If he can do that and pitch with control, he may earn that last spot. He has four pitches he can throw at pretty much any time.
    - Sal Romano has gotten a lot of rope this spring. He's done well and has gone from afterthought to interesting arm. That said, he's not on the 40-man.
    - A relief arm that is on the 40-man roster is Brandon Finnegan. And he's been good (albeit against mostly minor leaguers late in games). Reports out of his last outing were encouraging. One to keep an eye on.
    - Joel Kuhnel has been outstanding. He has a future-- and options.
    - Tyler Thornburg does not have options, but he's been given four appearances so far and been quite effective. Once upon a time, he was very, very good. Perhaps again?
    Lucas Sims has looked “very good in limited innings?” He’s got a 12.27 ERA. Typo maybe, referring to someone else?

Edit, ERA a bit lower (9+) after Sims pitched a clean inning today with two strikeouts.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-07-2020 at 07:13 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Lucas Sims has looked “very good in limited innings?” He’s got a 12.27 ERA. Typo maybe?
    The rush to thrust Sims and Reed into important innings on this site has me baffled. Neither has earned that shot and won't until mid-season no matter how well they do. The Reds bullpen is short of guys who can be trusted in high leverage situations. I see Lorenzen, maybe Garrett and I'd be willing to give Stephenson a shot, but he's a bit of a question mark IMO. The rest scare the heck out of me.

I still am hoping the Reds can add a late inning guy from a rebuilding team who might have interest in some guys who don't fit. Aquino, Payton, maybe VanMeter.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The rush to thrust Sims and Reed into important innings on this site has me baffled. Neither has earned that shot and won't until mid-season no matter how well they do. The Reds bullpen is short of guys who can be trusted in high leverage situations. I see Lorenzen, maybe Garrett and I'd be willing to give Stephenson a shot, but he's a bit of a question mark IMO. The rest scare the heck out of me.

I still am hoping the Reds can add a late inning guy from a rebuilding tea who might have interest in some guys who don't fit. Aquino, Payton, maybe VanMeter.
    Agree, although not with trading Aquino for a reliever, I wouldn’t do that.

But Reds are going into a season where they must cut down the question marks. They have $164 million in contracts riding on it.

They need to get the best relievers they can for each open spot, whether in-house or by acquisition. These young guys can’t be handed anything because they are out of options. Those days hopefully have passed.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-07-2020 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Agree.

Reds are going into a season where they must cut down the question marks. They have $164 million in contracts riding on it.

RedsZone has pronounced Sims and Reed as locks for the OD roster, but Reds can’t just pick nice young arms out of options. They need to get the best relievers they can for each spot, whether in-house or by acquisition.
    I can see them being locks because they are out of options, but they should be the last two guys in the pen who pitch mop-up. The Reds have lots of those guys. They need the more important innings covered and with the way rotations are used these days, even four guys who can pitch important innings isn't enough IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I can see them being locks because they are out of options, but they should be the last two guys in the pen who pitch mop-up. The Reds have lots of those guys. They need the more important innings covered and with the way rotations are used these days, even four guys who can pitch important innings isn't enough IMO.
    Reds have to decide if they are really going to change their ways.

Is this all just a show or are they serious?

I don’t mind a couple of young relievers or turnaround types, but not based on lack of minor league options.

Go with the best guys you can get. Period. You’re facing very stiff competition.

From what I have seen this spring the of should be ervin/winker lf shogo in center and nick in right.
    Senzel and Aquino both need to go to AAA. Things could change in the next couple of weeks.

If Galvis can go go at the start of the year. I would not mind seeing alf Rodriguez get a chance to start.

It is hard to judge the pen this spring. Would be great to have Reed and Finnegan breakthrough and give us a couple of lefties to go with Garrett. Sims seems like longman spot starter.
    Blandino and Farmer seem like they will make the teambecause of versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    From what I have seen this spring the of should be ervin/winker lf shogo in center and nick in right.
    Senzel and Aquino both need to go to AAA. Things could change in the next couple of weeks.

If Galvis can go go at the start of the year. I would not mind seeing alf Rodriguez get a chance to start.

It is hard to judge the pen this spring. Would be great to have Reed and Finnegan breakthrough and give us a couple of lefties to go with Garrett. Sims seems like longman spot starter.
    Blandino and Farmer seem like they will make the teambecause of versatility.
    Senzel has been playing for 3 days and you’re already sending him to AAA? Jeez, rough crowd.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Senzel has been playing for 3 days and you’re already sending him to AAA? Jeez, rough crowd.
    User name checks out.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post

Blandino and Farmer seem like they will make(s)the team because of versatility.
    Go Stanford Cardinal Baseball
    Last edited by Umkubas; 03-08-2020 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Umkubas View Post
    Go Stanford Cardinal Baseball
    What? No winner winner chicken dinner?

According to Reds’ website roster columns -

Reds “active” roster is now at 36 with four guys optioned yesterday, Josh Smith, Santillan, Hendrix and Antone. Others were sent down too, but not optioned from major league roster.

Current active roster with 17 pitchers, 3 catchers, 6 infielders, and 10 OFers. Van Meter is listed as an outfielder. Again, this excludes non-roster invites on minor league contracts.

Reds altogether with 50 players in MLB camp which means 14 non-roster invitees. NRIs appear to include 8 pitchers, 1 catcher, five infielders, no outfielders.

To be continued as cuts come in . . . .
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-11-2020 at 11:50 AM.

13. Likes:

Cherokee (03-11-2020)

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    #Reds made their first round of cuts tonight. They have 50 players remaining in big-league camp.
    Cincinnati Reds
    @Reds
    The Reds have reassigned to minor league camp RHP Tejay Antone, RHP David Carpenter, RHP Ryan Hendrix, LHP Nick Lodolo, RHP Tony Santillan, LHP Josh Smith, C Chris Okey, IF Jonathan India, IF Blake Trahan, OF Stuart Fairchild and OF Boog Powell.

Where do the Reds' roster battles stand?

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/here-s...urrently-stand

16. Likes:

Cherokee (03-18-2020),mth123 (03-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Wow. I posted this 10 days ago. Seems like months ago.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?