Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Spring Training Battles

Re: Spring Training Battles

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Now that they've added Castellanos and Moustakas, the pen is the weakest link. I see 7 guys who have the inside edge the night before games start. Iggy, Garrett, Lorenzen, Stephenson, Strop, Reed and Sims.
    i would subtract sims and add mahle, but otherwise i completely agree -- both in terms with the players you mention and that it's the weakness of the roster right now. with as aggressive as the reds were this offseason, i am surprised they only signed one reliever, and it was relatively on the cheap with strop ($1.8M guaranteed with the potential to earn an extra $1.7M if he hits all of his bonuses).

i realize a lot of people think that if mahle doesn't make the 5-man rotation then he should just go to louisville and start, but i want the best pitchers coming north. there is no doubt in my mind that tyler mahle is better than lucas sims (although i do like sims) and can be used as a long reliever unless/until a starting spot opens up for the reds. i also get the strong feeling from david bell's comments that he really likes mahle. i'm pretty sure i'm in the vast minority here, but i feel like mahle is a near-lock to make the opening day roster because he will be viewed as one of the best 8 relievers for sure if he doesn't make the rotation. and since the only way he's making the rotation is if someone gets hurt, that means he will be in the pen to start the season imo.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    i would subtract sims and add mahle, but otherwise i completely agree -- both in terms with the players you mention and that it's the weakness of the roster right now. with as aggressive as the reds were this offseason, i am surprised they only signed one reliever, and it was relatively on the cheap with strop ($1.8M guaranteed with the potential to earn an extra $1.7M if he hits all of his bonuses).

i realize a lot of people think that if mahle doesn't make the 5-man rotation then he should just go to louisville and start, but i want the best pitchers coming north. there is no doubt in my mind that tyler mahle is better than lucas sims (although i do like sims) and can be used as a long reliever unless/until a starting spot opens up for the reds. i also get the strong feeling from david bell's comments that he really likes mahle. i'm pretty sure i'm in the vast minority here, but i feel like mahle is a near-lock to make the opening day roster because he will be viewed as one of the best 8 relievers for sure if he doesn't make the rotation. and since the only way he's making the rotation is if someone gets hurt, that means he will be in the pen to start the season imo.
    I think the Reds are going to need Mahle. I'd guess he'll make at least 15 starts.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

corkedbat (02-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think the Reds are going to need Mahle. I'd guess he'll make at least 15 starts.
    Not sure why this means Mahle has to go to AAA.

Mahle can be a multi-inning reliever and then, virtually immediately, throw a four inning start. And increase in subsequent starts. Bell has an early hook anyway, no need for Mahle to be fully stretched out to start a game.

Constantly parking ready players in AAA is not the way to build continued success. If the Reds think Mahle can build on last season, and he has a good spring, let him be one of your “length” relievers.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-22-2020 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Not sure why this means Mahle has to go to AAA.

Mahle can be a multi-inning reliever and then, virtually immediately, throw a four inning start. And increase in subsequent starts. Bell has an early hook anyway, no need for Mahle to be fully stretched out to start a game.

Constantly parking ready players in AAA is not the way to build continued success. If the Reds think Mahle can build on last season, and he has a good spring, let him be one of your “length” relievers.
    I think it depends on the player. Mahle has been a starter virtually his entire pro career (and I would assume leading up to the pros). Is he comfortable coming out of the bullpen? You'd hope so but remember how Iglesias melted when he was called on for non-save situations

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I think it depends on the player. Mahle has been a starter virtually his entire pro career (and I would assume leading up to the pros). Is he comfortable coming out of the bullpen? You'd hope so but remember how Iglesias melted when he was called on for non-save situations
    Sure, if Mahle or the coaches aren’t comfortable with the pen for him, they shouldn’t force the issue, agree.

But if he’s in the pen, he can fairly readily start again if needed. As a reliever he might throw 2-3 innings on occasion. As a starter he might throw 3-4 innings to start out. Not that big a jump, not like the old days, this isn’t Spahn v. Gibson for 16 innings each.

8. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (02-23-2020)

In today's baseball, you can never have too many starters. Have one guy go 1-5 and the other 6-9 if it comes down to it. Or 1-4 and 5-8 with a closer in the 9th.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    I find it amusing that Reds fans want to give a guy a starting position based on a hot start. When at the end of the year it looks like the league figured him out.
    4.9 bb% 28.5k% .188/.242/.313 for a .555 ops to end the year. Plus the struggles with righties being right handed is also a big factor to me.

I have see too many players come out the gates strong and not live up to that hype

Btw I think he will be a solid player.
    Aquino will be 26 next year. With the amount of swing and miss in his game, I think there's roughly even odds that he's already had his career year.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

11. Likes:

CySeymour (02-23-2020),Tom Servo (02-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Aquino will be 26 next year. With the amount of swing and miss in his game, I think there's roughly even odds that he's already had his career year.
    I find it kind of funny that you think those stats are Aquino's. Those are actually Senzels stats from last year.
    With Aquino look at his career progress and look at Suarez there is some similarities that lead to the possibility that Aquino could be the same type of hitter.

I know you are very numbers oriented go look at Suarez and Aquino's progression .

Aquino must put up now.
    If Aquino, Winker, and Shogo do have a good spring, and with Castellanos and Senzel in the picture, the Reds must trade an outfielder. The situation wouldn’t make sense with five starting outfielders and a shaky closer situation.
    Last edited by Ohiohaybaler; 02-23-2020 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Sure, if Mahle or the coaches aren’t comfortable with the pen for him, they shouldn’t force the issue, agree.

But if he’s in the pen, he can fairly readily start again if needed. As a reliever he might throw 2-3 innings on occasion. As a starter he might throw 3-4 innings to start out. Not that big a jump, not like the old days, this isn’t Spahn v. Gibson for 16 innings each.
    All I was saying is that, if Mahle is sent down, we shouldn't assume it's incompetence on the Reds part or poor roster management. There may be legit reasons they don't want to state publicly

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    I find it kind of funny that you think those stats are Aquino's. Those are actually Senzels stats from last year.
    With Aquino look at his career progress and look at Suarez there is some similarities that lead to the possibility that Aquino could be the same type of hitter.

I know you are very numbers oriented go look at Suarez and Aquino's progression .

You're going to have to help me out. I have to admit, I don't see the Suarez/Aquino comp. It looks like Suarez was a low walk, low strikeout guy who had zero power until he got to the majors and started striking out more while hitting with power. While Aquino has always been a high strikeout, low walk guy with massive power that was finally able to hit for some average last year

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    All I was saying is that, if Mahle is sent down, we shouldn't assume it's incompetence on the Reds part or poor roster management. There may be legit reasons they don't want to state publicly
    If Mahle is sent down, it's COMPETENCE on the Red's part. That's the smart thing to do if starters 1-5 are healthy.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    If Mahle is sent down, it's COMPETENCE on the Red's part. That's the smart thing to do if starters 1-5 are healthy.
    Well, no.

Sending Mahle down would be a mistake if based on the absence of a starting spot. Would be old fashioned thinking that one has to be a “pure starter” or “pure reliever.” Would be wrong to go north without the best 13 pitchers on the roster. Would be a mistake as long as he’s healthy and has a good spring training.

Only rationale for sending Mahle down is there are 13 other pitchers who are better suited to help the Reds in the regular season; that Mahle needs AAA to improve and and force his way in.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-23-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I can see both sides. There is an advantage to having your best 13 pitchers, period. There is also an advantage of keeping an extra bullpen arm because Mahle has options

19. Likes:

CySeymour (02-23-2020)

Interesting starting lineup for today's ST opener - Blandino at SS, Dietrich at 2B, Farmer at 3B. Don't know if that's revealing the depth chart after Moustakas and Galvis, but it's fuel for speculation.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?