Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Training Battles

Re: Spring Training Battles

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    He was also one of the least productive players in baseball his second month. You know, after baseball saw he has a massive whole in his swing.
    Exactly. ST will be a tale of two Aquinos. If September AA shows up and everybody else is healthy, it's not a tough decision to let him start the season in L'ville and make him hit his way back to Cincinnati.

August AA will be tough to keep out of the starting line u. much less off the 26-man. If he beastmodes in Goodyear, there's probably one of two thinks that happen. He and his cannon are installed in RF with Castelanos moving to LF and one or two of Senzel, Winker and/or Ervin are included in a deal for an upgrade at SS or behind the plate. The other alternative is AA in a deal himself.

All three of the A's, Rox and the Indians will train in AZ (the Tribe shares the complex with the Reds). If AA shows out, the Reds may feel more comfortable including an OF in a trade, The Indians might feel better about tasking him as a principle for Lindor. The Reds may not have felt comfortable dealing him or Senzel for a year of Marcus Siemen, but a big Spring could tempt the A's two expanding a deal and letting the Reds have a 72hr. window to talk an extension. Or the Rockies might consider that Rogers would be just fine at short and a Story for a big OF bat sounds better than it did a couple of months ago.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think Nate Jones has the best stuff of anyone guaranteed or fighting for a bullpen spot. The big issue is health. If he's healthy in spring I think he gets one of those final bullpen spots.

4. Likes:

marcshoe (02-09-2020),Old school 1983 (02-09-2020),RedlegJake (02-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Exactly. ST will be a tale of two Aquinos. If September AA shows up and everybody else is healthy, it's not a tough decision to let him start the season in L'ville and make him hit his way back to Cincinnati.

August AA will be tough to keep out of the starting line u. much less off the 26-man. If he beastmodes in Goodyear, there's probably one of two thinks that happen. He and his cannon are installed in RF with Castelanos moving to LF and one or two of Senzel, Winker and/or Ervin are included in a deal for an upgrade at SS or behind the plate. The other alternative is AA in a deal himself.

All three of the A's, Rox and the Indians will train in AZ (the Tribe shares the complex with the Reds). If AA shows out, the Reds may feel more comfortable including an OF in a trade, The Indians might feel better about tasking him as a principle for Lindor. The Reds may not have felt comfortable dealing him or Senzel for a year of Marcus Siemen, but a big Spring could tempt the A's two expanding a deal and letting the Reds have a 72hr. window to talk an extension. Or the Rockies might consider that Rogers would be just fine at short and a Story for a big OF bat sounds better than it did a couple of months ago.
    I don’t expect Reds or any other team to make decisions about Aquino based on his ST performance. My guess is Aquino is staying put on the MLB Reds for this season. But an any event, I believe they have an OF plan in place which is not dependent on ST performance of any of the OFers.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-09-2020 at 06:17 PM.

6. Likes:

marcshoe (02-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don’t expect Reds or any other team to make decisions about Aquino based on his ST performance. My guess is Aquino is staying put on the MLB Reds for this season. But an any event, I believe they have an OF plan in place which is not dependent on ST performance of any of the OFers.
    * If Aquino is hitting like September, he's behind Castellanos, Senzel, Shogo and Winker in the OF pecking order. He needs regular AB's that he can find in L'ville until his forces his way into the Reds lineup. Ervin is better-suited tio a reserve role at this point in his career and is out of options.

* If Geno starts the season on the DL then that may change the equation a bit if Senzel is more in the iF mix and give AA an extended opportunity to make his Cincy case until Suarez is back.

* If Aristides is even close to his August form (or at least showing consistent contact/power), he's the starting RF, Castellanos is in LF and one of the others is dealt OR Aquino goes in a deal.

Starting the season with regular ABs in the Bats lineup is not a death sentence and September Aquino not on the 26-man is nothing to be bothered by.

* If Aquino is hitting like September, he's behind Castellanos, Senzel, Shogo and Winker in the OF pecking order. He needs regular AB's that he can find in L'ville until his forces his way into the Reds lineup. Ervin is better-suited tio a reserve role at this point in his career and is out of options.

* If Geno starts the season on the DL then that may change the equation a bit if Senzel is more in the iF mix and give AA an extended opportunity to make his Cincy case until Suarez is back.

* If Aristides is even close to his August form (or at least showing consistent contact/power), he's the starting RF, Castellanos is in LF and one of the others is dealt OR Aquino goes in a deal.

Starting the season with regular ABs in the Bats lineup is not a death sentence and September Aquino not on the 26-man is nothing to be bothered by.
    I think Reds know right now if they will carry Aquino. They have a glut of OFers and undoubtedly a plan that is not dependent on spring training performance.

As for “starting RFer.” Dick Williams is a fan of OF rotation, he spoke highly of it last time around. I expect several of them to rotate in the OF with Castellanos playing every day.

The problem with AA to the minors is that he is capable of carrying the offense for periods, he’s wasted at AAA. Nothing to do with whether he is personally bothered by it.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-09-2020 at 06:55 PM.

Reds went deep in the OF for a reason. Winker and Senzel don’t have the greatest history when it comes to injuries. All of these guys will get playing time. Senzel Shogo Winker Castellanos Ervin and AA at some point or another will all get a decent amount of ABs.

What’s cool about me is with so many OF whom I want to see when I’m at spring training I’ll get a heavy dose of solid OF game after game.

Did anyone with a subscription see what BP said about Aquino when they listed him among blocked talents the other day?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Red X View Post
    Reds went deep in the OF for a reason. Winker and Senzel don’t have the greatest history when it comes to injuries. All of these guys will get playing time. Senzel Shogo Winker Castellanos Ervin and AA at some point or another will all get a decent amount of ABs.

What’s cool about me is with so many OF whom I want to see when I’m at spring training I’ll get a heavy dose of solid OF game after game.
    Someone will go IMO. Even without Senzel they have 3 RHH and two LHH solid to very good OFers. As of today I’d guess Ervin gets traded with Aquino getting playing time against the lefties.

That leaves two slots. If Suarez is ready then it's probably between Aquino / Schebler / Jankoski / Payton for one spot (could depend on if they want Aquino playing everyday in L'Ville) and van Meter/ Blandino Farmer / Davidson / Holt (Hey, a guy can dream). All are versatile, but SS ability could give Blandino an edge.
    Former Stanford Cardinal, Alex Blandino has allowed 2 errors in 34 chances as shortstop with both errors scoring.

Overall, Blandino has 6 errors in 154 chances in all infield positions.

Go Stanford Cardinal Baseball
    Last edited by Umkubas; 02-10-2020 at 01:52 AM.

Scott Schebler batted .413 in last years spring training. Put Aquino in right field on opening day no matter how he does in Spring Training.

Austin Kearns was an awesome spring training player..........
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

14. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (02-10-2020),Frank Robinson (02-10-2020),KYExtemper (02-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Scott Schebler batted .413 in last years spring training. Put Aquino in right field on opening day no matter how he does in Spring Training.

Austin Kearns was an awesome spring training player..........
    So who are you benching for him? All the other guys have more success in the minors or majors.

Don't breaking balls suffer in Arizona spring training? Atmosphere and pitchers who aren't sharp yet.

Kind of expect AA to be in beast mode during spring training. But I don't know what to expect during the season and neither do the Reds I'm sure. I think he's on the 26 man roster regardless.

17. Likes:

Chip R (02-20-2020)

Issues isnt whether or not AA can play consistently at the MLB level. Its that Castellanos, Senzel, Winker, and Shogo are likely better players now, which is what the Reds need.

Quote Originally Posted by Red X View Post
    Issues isnt whether or not AA can play consistently at the MLB level. Its that Castellanos, Senzel, Winker, and Shogo are likely better players now, which is what the Reds need.
    really not sure that statement is accurate....need more time to decide. In 2019...

Aquino - +1.4 WAR & 122 OPS+ in 205 AB's
    Winker - +0.9 WAR & 111 OPS+ in 338 AB's
    Senzel - +0.6 WAR & 89 OPS+ in 375 AB's
    Castellanos - +2.7 WAR & 121 OPS+ in 615 AB's
    Ervin - +1.0 WAR & 102 OPS+ in 236 AB's

and Aquino is probably better than all of them on defense, or at least has better tools.

20. Likes:

Frank Robinson (02-10-2020)

I know it will not likely happen, but if I am the Reds, I atleast have a discussion with the coaches and Senzel about taking a peek at him @ SS in spring training. Not sure there is much downside to playing him there 4-5 games. If it worked well, it would resolve multiple issues/questions.

22. Likes:

goreds2 (02-10-2020)

Turn Off Ads?