Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Spring Training Battles

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Spring Training Battles

The Reds are in very good shape if they have Mahle and AA starting the year at AAA. In recent times, they'd have been counted on as key members of the team.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Likes:

SunDeck (02-23-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    In today's baseball, you can never have too many starters. Have one guy go 1-5 and the other 6-9 if it comes down to it. Or 1-4 and 5-8 with a closer in the 9th.
    Mahle was very strong the first 2 times through the lineup. Whatever it takes to win games.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Interesting starting lineup for today's ST opener - Blandino at SS, Dietrich at 2B, Farmer at 3B. Don't know if that's revealing the depth chart after Moustakas and Galvis, but it's fuel for speculation.
    I think Farmer is at SS and Blandino at 3B. Both are fine at either position for spot duty if somebody is banged up. I wouldn't want either at SS every day if Galvis gets hurt.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think Farmer is at SS and Blandino at 3B. Both are fine at either position for spot duty if somebody is banged up. I wouldn't want either at SS every day if Galvis gets hurt.
    Good catch. The Reds ought to give Farmer a Cesar Tovar, play-all-the-positions game.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I still say a trade will happen in spring training.

Reds trade:

1) Aristedes Aquino and Lucas Sims

Tigers trade:

1) Willi Castro-SS- (11th prospect) becomes the backup to Galvis

2) Andre Lipcius 3b/1b- (26th prospect)

- I think the Reds want to hold onto Schebler still and I feel like one of the non roster guys will force their hand. my bullpen is:

Iglesius, lorenzen, strop, Stephenson, garrett, reed, Mahle, (Thornburg, shafer, jones, biddle, carpenter)

He still bangs

Ervin is making a really good case for that last OF spot. It’s still early, but if he and Aquino stay on the same trajectory they’re on now, Aquino back to Louisville is a no-brainer.

And this goes without saying, but Garcia and Ty Stephenson are impressing so much at such priority positions that if they keep in going in AA and AAA, respectively, and if injury or bad slump hits Galvis or one of the catchers, it’d be awfully tempting to bring them up. My guess is they’d go with other options first, but if Reds are as competitive as we expect them to be, the FO might be feeling enough urgency to bring one up.

9. Likes:

Bunting Bad (02-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post
    Ervin is making a really good case for that last OF spot. It’s still early, but if he and Aquino stay on the same trajectory they’re on now, Aquino back to Louisville is a no-brainer.

And this goes without saying, but Garcia and Ty Stephenson are impressing so much at such priority positions that if they keep in going in AA and AAA, respectively, and if injury or bad slump hits Galvis or one of the catchers, it’d be awfully tempting to bring them up. My guess is they’d go with other options first, but if Reds are as competitive as we expect them to be, the FO might be feeling enough urgency to bring one up.
    Let’s just hope nobody is drawing any conclusions based on six early spring training games.

Right now, for example, Ervin has the sample size of 7 plate appearances. Aquino 8 plate appearances. And I’m sure we’d find that some of those PAs were against minor league caliber pitching.

In very few cases should Reds base any conclusions on ANY spring training performances, let alone a few PAs.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-29-2020 at 12:48 PM.

He still bangs

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Let’s just hope nobody is drawing any conclusions based on six early spring training games.
    No conclusions here, but the trajectory of both suggests they’re moving much faster than many had previously anticipated. And obviously seeing it with your own eyes for a few games tends to draw some more attention. Given they happen to be at premium positions that are easily the weakest positions for the Reds, it’s not hard to imagine a fast-track for them if a few things go right/wrong.

12. Likes:

Bunting Bad (02-29-2020)

No conclusions here, but the trajectory of both suggests they’re moving much faster than many had previously anticipated. And obviously seeing it with your own eyes for a few games tends to draw some more attention. Given they happen to be at premium positions that are easily the weakest positions for the Reds, it’s not hard to imagine a fast-track for them if a few things go right/wrong.
    I don’t believe this few spring training games represents any trajectory whatsoever.

It’s fine to say somebody “looks good” in the early going, but it’s essentially meaningless.

The pitchers aren’t ready, some are minor leaguers, the sample size is very, very small.

Sorry if we don’t agree, but I’ve seen too many early ST wonders flame out in April.

He still bangs

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don’t believe this few spring training games represents any trajectory whatsoever.

It’s fine to say somebody “looks good” in the early going, but it’s essentially meaningless.

The pitchers aren’t ready, some are minor leaguers, the sample size is very, very small.

Sorry if we don’t agree, but I’ve seen too many early ST wonders flame out in April.
    The trajectories I’m referring to are strong and continual improvement last season, fall league for Stephenson, and a few good games in the spring. If that trajectory continues, I don’t see why it’s so hard to imagine a chance of getting called up at some point this season if there are injuries or complete implosions at one of those two positions.

And yeah, that’s fine. We don’t need to agree on that.

15. Likes:

Bunting Bad (02-29-2020)

The trajectories I’m referring to are strong and continual improvement last season, fall league for Stephenson, and a few good games in the spring. If that trajectory continues, I don’t see why it’s so hard to imagine a chance of getting called up at some point this season if there are injuries or complete implosions at one of those two positions.

I was referring to your statement about Ervin and Aquino. But as to all, yes, last year’s in-season performance provides helpful information. As to very early spring training, I won’t repeat my view.

17. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (02-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    I still say a trade will happen in spring training.

Reds trade:

1) Aristedes Aquino and Lucas Sims

Tigers trade:

1) Willi Castro-SS- (11th prospect) becomes the backup to Galvis

2) Andre Lipcius 3b/1b- (26th prospect)

- I think the Reds want to hold onto Schebler still and I feel like one of the non roster guys will force their hand. my bullpen is:

Iglesius, lorenzen, strop, Stephenson, garrett, reed, Mahle, (Thornburg, shafer, jones, biddle, carpenter)
    Hard pass. Aquino alone is easily worth more than those two

19. Likes:

Frank Robinson (03-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    only this club would consider not playing aquino he was the ost productive player in all of baseball for one month, yet people want to send him to the minors unbelievable
    Aquino has looked great so far
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I know Alf Rod probably isn't in a battle for a bench spot this year, but if his bat develops at all, I think he could be in the future. From what I have seen, his defensive skills at SS and 2nd are far superior to any other player that the Reds have as a backup.

I think it’s a very real possibility we see Stephenson at least for a short time this year.

23. Likes:

Bunting Bad (03-01-2020)

Turn Off Ads?