Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Spring Training Battles

Re: Spring Training Battles

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Aquino has looked great so far
    0-3 today. Flailing helplessly at breaking balls. Aquino is securing a spot for himself in AAA

And Schebler is opening the door for Payton.

2. Likes:

NebraskaRed (03-01-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    0-3 today. Flailing helplessly at breaking balls. Aquino is securing a spot for himself in AAA

And Schebler is opening the door for Payton.
    There's a big part of me that would like to see Mark Payton get a shot and hit leadoff or in the 2 hole. He gets on base..something sorely lacking the past few years with the club.

Genuinely curious where you guys think Payton would play? Schebler was never making the roster lol. Even if Aquino doesn't make the team, you still have Shogo, Castellanos, Winker, Senzel, and Ervin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

He still bangs

I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t happen, but I wonder if a six man bench is out of the question. Related, I wonder how much they’re anticipating the three batter minimum rule would limit bullpen usage/changes. It may or may not be more practical to roll with 12 pitchers now with the rule change. While an extra pitcher wouldn’t be superfluous, perhaps playing matchups with hitters when the opposing team is limited to the rule would be better in the aggregate. Being able to burn three consecutive LH pinch hitters against a RH reliever—or vice-versa—is possibly more valuable than an extra reliever.

Just thinking outside the box here, given they got an awful lot of OFers this offseason. 6 man bench is unlikely, but the crunch does make me wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Puig Your Red View Post
    Genuinely curious where you guys think Payton would play? Schebler was never making the roster lol. Even if Aquino doesn't make the team, you still have Shogo, Castellanos, Winker, Senzel, and Ervin.
    I'm guessing Senzel won't be ready

A Rule 5 player must remain in the bigs all season.

Presumably Senzel will return this season.

So the issue is there, whether on OD or not.

9. Likes:

M2 (03-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    A Rule 5 player must remain in the bigs all season.

Presumably Senzel will return this season.

So the issue is there, whether on OD or not.
    Of course the issue is there if at some point all of Winker, Shogo, Castellanos, Senzel, Ervin, Aquino are all healthy at the same time.

But why throw Payton back before OD if he continues to hit and Aquino continues to not hit? Pretty nice insurance against injuries to have him on the roster.

He's DHing Thursday. Would be shocked if he's not OD ready at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course the issue is there if at some point all of Winker, Shogo, Castellanos, Senzel, Ervin, Aquino are all healthy at the same time.

But why throw Payton back before OD if he continues to hit and Aquino continues to not hit? Pretty nice insurance against injuries to have him on the roster.
    Because you likely don't need to carry 6 OFers? Especially if somebody like JVM makes the team who can also play the OF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-02-2020)

Why is Payton nice insurance? Because he’s hot in the first ten days of ST? He’s been a minor league player since 2014, he wasn’t protected from Rule 5.

We all get revved up about guys in ST, but let’s put this in perspective. Payton is likely to be sent back because Reds can’t protect him on the MLB roster all season. They have lots of major league caliber guys for the OF, including depth. Maybe Payton will be the exception, you never know, but the chances seem small IMO.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-02-2020 at 04:39 PM.

14. Likes:

M2 (03-02-2020),mth123 (03-02-2020)

Why is Payton nice insurance? Because he’s hot in the first ten days of ST? He’s been a minor league player since 2014, he wasn’t protected from Rule 5.

We all get revved up about guys in ST, but let’s put this in perspective. Payton is likely to be sent back because Reds can’t protect him on the MLB roster all season. They have lots of major league caliber guys for the OF, including depth. Maybe Payton will be the exception, you never know, but the chances seem small IMO.
    Riding or dying with Jankowski I see.

16. Likes:

Griffey012 (03-02-2020),Ron Madden (03-02-2020),Tom Servo (03-02-2020),Wonderful Monds (03-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    They can probably slide Jankowski through waivers and then yo-yo him if necessary (Schebler is another who fits that profile). That would seem to be the role they need to fill. Structurally speaking, Payton can't do that.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    They can probably slide Jankowski through waivers and then yo-yo him if necessary (Schebler is another who fits that profile). That would seem to be the role they need to fill. Structurally speaking, Payton can't do that.
    I don’t mind that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Not entirely. I mean, if there’s no room, there’s no room. I expected a trade making room. But Reds aren’t waiving Ervin for Jankowski. If Aquino gets on track they aren’t sending him down for Jankowski.

IMO they intended to keep Jankowski. They would keep him if they do make a trade. I think they’ll keep Jankowski over Payton.

I personally would find a way to keep Jankowski because on a 26 man roster you should have one excellent defensive OFer. So yes, to that extent.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-02-2020 at 05:08 PM.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Not entirely. I mean, if there’s no room, there’s no room. I expected a trade making room. But Reds aren’t waiving Ervin for Jankowski. If Aquino gets on track they aren’t sending him down for Jankowski.

IMO they intended to keep Jankowski. They would keep him if they do make a trade. I think they’ll keep Jankowski over Payton.

I personally would find a way to keep Jankowski because on a 26 man roster you should have one excellent defensive OFer. So yes, to that extent.
    Your Janikowski fixation is easily one of the strangest things I’ve ever seen on this board.

21. Likes:

Tom Servo (03-02-2020),WrongVerb (03-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Your Janikowski fixation is easily one of the strangest things I’ve ever seen on this board.
    I hardly ever raise Jankowski. Kal raises it. Frequently likes to needle me about it. That’s fine I just respond in kind.

What is “strange” is that some posters are stunned that anyone would want a high level CF defender on the roster. I guess defense is outdated to some baseball fans. Ok, they’re wrong, but entitled to their views.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-02-2020 at 10:05 PM.

Turn Off Ads?