Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Shape of My Life 2020: Spring Training Pics & Media

Re: Best Shape of My Life 2020: Spring Training Pics & Media

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    Raisel Iglesias was one of the pitchers who stood out to David Bell at the start of camp. Iglesias says he's more prepared to pitch in non-save situations after last year's struggles. https://cincinnati.com/story/sports/...le/4777171002/ #Reds

2. Likes:

Tom Servo (02-16-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

“It’s the same goals as last year, being an Opening Day starter and getting to the All-Star Game, maybe even the Cy Young,” Castillo said through translator Jorge Merlos. “You know how good this team is right now, our goal – and my goal especially – is to get to the postseason and hopefully into the World Series.”

As much as Castillo’s changeup was a weapon last year – 155 of his 226 strikeouts were through changeups, according to Statcast – he’s working on developing his slider. He threw his slider about 17% of the time last year, but he wants to become more unpredictable for hitters.

"I’ve been definitely working on the slider a lot," he said. “I felt really good last year. I thank God that he gave me the opportunity to go out there and play well. Hopefully, this year, we have enough health for myself and the rest of the team that we’ll do well this year.”
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...ng/ar-BB102yLu

5. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (02-16-2020)

He still bangs

Now that interview was exciting. Really rooting for Castillo this year.

7. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-16-2020)

Reds players are embracing their playoff expectations after a busy offseason.
    Curt Casali couldn’t help himself when he heard the Cincinnati Reds were signing outfielder Nick Castellanos at the end of the offseason.

He was pumped up and it was a heat of the moment reaction. Casali sent a text message to president of baseball operations Dick Williams and general manager Nick Krall.

“You guys did your part,” Casali said. “Now, it’s up to us to make it happen.”

A large contingent of players showed up to spring training early. Reds manager David Bell joked that there weren’t any spots to park when he arrived at the facility Thursday, three days before the mandatory report date for position players.

“I just think it speaks to everybody’s want to be here and the passion that we’re hoping to instill in our group,” Casali said. “For the other guys to show up like this, Joey (Votto) especially, I thought that was a really cool move. It shows young guys. It sets the tone really early with our squad about what we expect for this upcoming season.”

Of course, the Reds need to do more than just win the offseason. They finished with a 75-87 record last season. Milwaukee was the second wild-card team with 89 wins, so the Reds probably need to improve by at least 14 wins.

“I mean, expectations are cool,” Casali said. “We had expectations last year too. I don’t know if they were as high as they are this year, but from everybody I’ve talked to, from my perspective, I think it’s time to put up or shut up. We just have to get out there and play.”
    https://amp.cincinnati.com/amp/47771...mpression=true
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-16-2020 at 05:30 PM.

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-17-2020),OhioRiverBarge (02-16-2020)

He still bangs

Castillo workout montage, a la Rocky.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57CDBB88-4457-4FAB-9ABD-E0B0BAE0CDA3.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	15645

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-17-2020),goreds2 (02-17-2020)

Wow, working a side job? Kid is an earner.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Reds starter DeSclafani eager to build on strong end to 2019 season
    Anthony DeSclafani reflected on his best offseason in years as he looked around the clubhouse that contained the Reds’ upgraded roster.

“I’ve seen big players being traded away when I first got here,” he said. “There were some big time Reds guys (Jay Bruce, Johnny Cueto, Todd Frazier, Brandon Phillips, Mike Leake, Homer Bailey, Aroldis Chapman).

“It was going through a rebuild … it’s definitely not fun,” he added. “It is a completely different vibe now, knowing that nothing short of a World Series ring is acceptable. I feel like everyone feels that we can achieve that. It is up to us.”

DeSclafani, who rebounded last season with a 9-9 mark, 3.98 ERA in 31 starts.

In his last eight starts of the season he went 2-2 with a 2.39. DeSclafani made five straight starts of at least six innings allowing fewer than three hits. He established a career high with 151 strikeouts, that included the 500th of his career. He struck out the first nine Milwaukee Brewers he faced in a start on June 23 in Milwaukee. His success was not only attributed to his health but equally achieved with some changes made with the guidance of first-year pitching coach Derek Johnson.
    https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...HaNmhHqmmcVAM/

14. Likes:

goreds2 (02-17-2020),ochoa30 (02-17-2020),RED VAN HOT (02-17-2020)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Has anyone seen if Senzel is taking any grounders? I know we have seen him taking BP, but I was curious where he was getting his defensive reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Has anyone seen if Senzel is taking any grounders? I know we have seen him taking BP, but I was curious where he was getting his defensive reps.
    I can’t find it but someone said at 2B and outfield. Nothing surprising. SS will not be in the cards as the Reds have stated multiple times.

17. Likes:

goreds2 (02-17-2020)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    I can’t find it but someone said at 2B and outfield. Nothing surprising. SS will not be in the cards as the Reds have stated multiple times.
    Can you (or anyone else) please provide a link or quote where the Reds said no SS for Senzel? I remember quotes about no 3B after the Suarez injury, but do not re-call any conversation one way or another about SS. Thanks.

20. Likes:

goreds2 (02-17-2020),M2 (02-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Can you (or anyone else) please provide a link or quote where the Reds said no SS for Senzel? I remember quotes about no 3B after the Suarez injury, but do not re-call any conversation one way or another about SS. Thanks.
    General manager Nick Krall told Nightengale the team is hopeful Senzel, who resumed throwing two weeks ago, will be recovered when the season opens in late March. Krall added that because of the shoulder injury, Senzel won't be moved to either third base - where Eugenio Suarez is expected to miss time following a swimming-pool mishap - or shortstop in 2020.
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1936894

22. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-17-2020),HammerTime (02-17-2020)

He still bangs

It’s interesting that he said it’s because of the shoulder injury that he’s not being moved to SS.

This makes me wonder if they’d consider it if not for the injury.

And it makes me wonder how serious they think this shoulder injury is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Nice find to answer ER's question. Focus of the article is that the Reds do not plan to trade Senzel. It goes unsaid that Aquino has options and Castellanos is likely to opt out after the season. Therefore, this provides a reason to retain young outfielders.

25. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-17-2020)

He still bangs

Really dumb question coming at you.

Take a look at two of the pics taken from the Shogo session.

Does it look like he has two extra pupils in the inner corner of his eyes?

Compare the top pic with the bottom. Is this double exposed? Does that even happen with digital?

Name:	D1C3430C-1553-4667-BB60-EC6231A1D892.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	15648

Name:	C00284AF-6149-4A43-98C5-47532450C8EE.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	15649

They’re there in the first pic but not in the second. Does he have double vision? Is this how he gets on base so much?
    #pupilgate

Turn Off Ads?