Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Best Shape of My Life 2020: Spring Training Pics & Media

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Best Shape of My Life 2020: Spring Training Pics & Media

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    The Reds didn't hand out a 20 million dollar contract expecting Akiyama to be a 5th OF. I still think we have one too many OF in the mix and a trade needs to happen. If Senzel is the everyday CF then Shogo and Winker will be in direct competition for playing time vs RHP because Castellanos won't be sitting out many games.
    Based upon that quote, either Winker or Shogo is going to be the 5th OF. I do not think believe the fact that since Shogo got a $20M over 3 year contract that he automatically will jump Winker on the depth chart.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Has anyone else read "The 31-year old outfielder from Japan played a lot in center field, but is expected to play in right or left field." before? Seems like a pretty big piece of information and portends to Senzel playing every day in CF and Akiyama being the 5th OF, with Ervin and Winker platooning in left and Castellanos getting most of the PT in right.
    I can't remember where I read it but there was a quote from DW that they plan on playing Shogo at all 3 OF positions.

I'll try to find it for you.

4. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (02-22-2020)

The Reds were searching for high on-base percentage hitters. They wanted a left-handed hitting outfielder who was athletic, a solid baserunner and could play center field.

“His ability to play all three outfield positions was really important,” Reds manager David Bell said. “I don’t think it would have made as much sense if he played just one outfield position. That’s pretty rare if a guy can play center field the way he does with his athleticism.

“That was a big part of why this made sense and why he’ll be able to get a lot of playing time.”
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...im/2850091001/

6. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    The Reds didn't hand out a 20 million dollar contract expecting Akiyama to be a 5th OF. I still think we have one too many OF in the mix and a trade needs to happen. If Senzel is the everyday CF then Shogo and Winker will be in direct competition for playing time vs RHP because Castellanos won't be sitting out many games.
    I know it is rare this late, but my gut still believes that Winker and/or Senzel will be moved. I am just not sure the Reds view themselves as an organization that can afford to have that level of capable player setting on the bench a lot when they could collect assets or a position of more need by moving them.

If Castellanos were expected to be here in 2021, I would agree that an OF is getting moved. But The Reds are going to absolutely need Shogo, Senzel, and Winker in 2021. I think there will be plenty of playing time for all the OF this year when you factor in the various DL time each will spend. Aquino will go to AAA and Ervin will probably be the 5th OF

The only OF who will probably get moved will be the likes of Schebler, Jankowski, and maybe Payton (unless they simply offer him back to the Padres). Think bucket of balls in return for those guys.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post
    Really dumb question coming at you.

Take a look at two of the pics taken from the Shogo session.

Does it look like he has two extra pupils in the inner corner of his eyes?

Compare the top pic with the bottom. Is this double exposed? Does that even happen with digital?

Attachment 15648

Attachment 15649

They’re there in the first pic but not in the second. Does he have double vision? Is this how he gets on base so much?
    #pupilgate
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

10. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (02-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I was stranded in Phoenix a couple of days after 9/11. It reached 114 degrees. In September.

At one point I went for a walk, and when I got back to the hotel, I had a completely white face with red cricles around my lips. I wasn't sweating. I was so used to humidity that I didn't realize what was happening.

Perfect baseball weather.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

12. Likes:

Chip R (02-26-2020),JarrodOnVinyl (02-22-2020)

Bell has yet to reveal his starting lineup for Saturday’s 3:05 p.m. ET Cactus League opener vs. the Indians. He did announce on Thursday that new outfielder Shogo Akiyama would make his first start on Sunday and play center field vs. the White Sox.

“I’m working through conversations with all of our players,” Bell said. “Basically, for the first seven to 10 days, we’re kind of splitting the groups. One group will play Saturday. One group will play Sunday. We’ll alternate because we want them playing every other day at the beginning.”
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/cody-r...n-reds-bullpen

15. Likes:

DocRed (02-22-2020),M2 (02-21-2020),Tadasimha (02-21-2020)

C. トレント・ローズクランズ
    @ctrent
    Vladimir Gutierrez will start Saturday's Cactus League opener on Saturday. Joey Votto, Tucker Barnhart, Mike Moustakas and Nick Castellanos are also expected to start. Erwin & Jankowski will join Castellanos in the OF

18. Likes:

NebraskaRed (02-22-2020)

Wonder if they'll actually play this one since it's raining there.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Wonder if they'll actually play this one since it's raining there.
    Nope. MLB app says cancelled.

Mark Sheldon
    @m_sheldon
    Vladimir Gutierrez will start tomorrow vs. the White Sox. The lineup that was set for today won't be used tomorrow. Shogo Akiyama will debut.

C. トレント・ローズクランズ
    @ctrent
    #Reds lineup for new opener, Sunday vs. #WhiteSox:
    Akiyama 8
    Aquino 9
    Winker 7
    Casali 2
    Farmer 6
    Dietrich 4
    Davidson 3
    Schebler DH