Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Joel Sherman: MLB plotting playoff expansion — with reality TV twist

He still bangs

Re: Joel Sherman: MLB plotting playoff expansion — with reality TV twist

So I couldn’t find a thread on MLB’s new rules and didn’t figure it was deserving just to ask one question, but riddle me this:

Will the 3 batter minimum rule provide new ways of stacking pinch hitters?

Say Reds have Moustakas, Winker, Barnhart up, as soon as the opposing team brings in a LHP, what prevents Reds from immediately PH Senzel, Ervin, Casali?

Could this simple rule change give the Reds a big advantage at critical moments in a game given the depth and IF/OF versatility of this roster?

2. Turn Off Ads?

I dunno..a bye week in baseball sounds ridiculous. it makes it feel too footballish. Baseball doesn't have the same wear and tear on players as football and momentum is far more important in baseball than in football. Suppose the Reds are ripping it up winning game after game after game just because they're THAT good..What Reds fan is going to want to sit around a whole week waiting for their chance to go on to the next level? That's just silly and serves no legitimate function. Heck, most people hate those few days off around the All Star Game much less around playoff time..and suppose they drop to 50 wins on the season..Does anyone in their right mind believe they even remotely deserve a playoff appearance much less a world series title?

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post
    So I couldn’t find a thread on MLB’s new rules and didn’t figure it was deserving just to ask one question, but riddle me this:

Will the 3 batter minimum rule provide new ways of stacking pinch hitters?

Say Reds have Moustakas, Winker, Barnhart up, as soon as the opposing team brings in a LHP, what prevents Reds from immediately PH Senzel, Ervin, Casali?

Could this simple rule change give the Reds a big advantage at critical moments in a game given the depth and IF/OF versatility of this roster?
    The other team gets to play by the same rules. So if Garrett gets brought in, the other team can stack their RH pinch hitters in the same fashion. It evens out.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

5. Likes:

goreds2 (02-13-2020)

He still bangs

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    The other team gets to play by the same rules. So if Garrett gets brought in, the other team can stack their RH pinch hitters in the same fashion. It evens out.
    Most definitely, but this rule change makes the outfield depth and versatility of players like Senzel, VanMeter, Farmer look even better for the Reds in particular. Bench bats and versatility will mean more now.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OhioRiverBarge View Post
    Most definitely, but this rule change makes the outfield depth and versatility of players like Senzel, VanMeter, Farmer look even better for the Reds in particular. Bench bats and versatility will mean more now.
    Agreed.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?