Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Joel Sherman: MLB plotting playoff expansion — with reality TV twist

Re: Joel Sherman: MLB plotting playoff expansion — with reality TV twist

I agree that too many teams already make the playoffs.

I almost wonder if MLB is doing this top create an illusion of parity?
    For example, if there are 4 wildcards and the Reds win one of the wildcards, that's considered going to the postseason and likely helps sell tickets the following years.

IMO, if anything, MLB should revert back to just one wildcard. That was a reasonable compromise with 3 divisions in each league. Adding a second wild card mucked things up, and even more wildcards is going to make it worse.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I don't hate this idea nearly as much as I thought I might.

That said, I'd rather see it come with expansion and radical realignment based on geography, and perhaps expansion as well.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

4. Likes:

DocRed (02-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    The worst part is favoring a team with the best record, when schedules are completely unbalanced.

What a joke, but it's not surprising considering the NHL and NBA do similar with success.
    I believe the schedules are going to be more balanced.

Besides adding a DH and 2 more playoff spots, the idea I hate the most is having the team with the best record pick their opponent. Like if the Dodgers want to play the Reds are they going to do some special where they have Dave Roberts get on a plane bound for one of the other playoff teams and then he lands here and drives to GABP to give a rose to David Bell? Ridiculous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

6. Likes:

GADawg (02-11-2020),REDREAD (02-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I believe the schedules are going to be more balanced.

Besides adding a DH and 2 more playoff spots, the idea I hate the most is having the team with the best record pick their opponent. Like if the Dodgers want to play the Reds are they going to do some special where they have Dave Roberts get on a plane bound for one of the other playoff teams and then he lands here and drives to GABP to give a rose to David Bell? Ridiculous!
    It’d be fine as long as David Bell is there for “all the right reasons”

Apologies( as I hand in my man card) but yes I watch that show with my wife often

8. Likes:

Chip R (02-11-2020),REDREAD (02-11-2020)

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

10. Likes:

757690 (02-11-2020),cumberlandreds (02-11-2020),RED VAN HOT (02-11-2020),Ron Madden (02-11-2020)

I can't wait to hear Goose Gossage's take on this idea.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

12. Likes:

goreds2 (02-11-2020)

Haunted by walks

This trial balloon would be tweaked to make it more reasonable, and even now it includes some elements to make the regular season more meaningful, but it also sounds like a cheap imitation of Selection Sunday.

14. Likes:

Chip R (02-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    One thing I like about this is the full series at the stadium of the team with the better record. Especially for in-league matchups, I really like the idea of giving a significant advantage to the team with the better regular season record and of making the series sequential without travel days breaking it up.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

16. Likes:

goreds2 (02-11-2020)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

The guy who designed the Flowbee re-tweeted the proposal.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

The downside for me is that the proposal provides an opportunity for a team that has won as few as 20 games less than a division winner to advance by winning a 3 game series.

Flip that over to get the upside. If a team could make the playoffs with a record as little as 6 games over .500, fewer teams would find it prudent to rebuild.

The proposed format would put an even higher value on power pitching leading to a large salary disparity between pitchers and position players.

I think we will eventually get back to 4 divisions, each with 8 teams. Once the DH is adopted league-wide, I don't think there will be as much push back against a major realignment doing away with the current AL/NL split.

You could even have 6 teams from each league make the playoffs. Give the 2 division champs in each league a bye, and let 4 wild-card teams play a best-of-3 series to face them. Wouldn't be horrible.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (02-11-2020)

I hate the one-game playoff currently for the wildcard teams, but as a fan I am more concerned with the regular season than I am the post-season. I would rather see the Reds win the division and be dominant all year than have a mediocre or even losing record, sneak into the playoffs and win the World Series. I am in it for the six months of the regular season, not the quick fix in the playoffs. I also agree with the post earlier about moving the trading deadline up so that the team you are playing with in the playoffs is the team that you have played with the entire year (instead of hired guns). I think one of the biggest problems in baseball is the frequent movement of players from team to team and it is hard for fans to connect with the players.

I like the idea of 32 teams, 8 division winners and go at it. I would go to the balanced schedule and redefine the divisions based on market size. Put the smaller market teams together in a couple of divisions and there might be less tanking as those teams would be able to compete with each other and not have to worry about the Yankees, Dodgers, etc., as the large market teams would be together in a couple of divisions as well. You can't make the divisions based on spending as teams then would tank, but you could base it off of a pre-defined market size criteria.
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

22. Likes:

REDREAD (02-11-2020)

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless Jeff View Post
    I hate the one-game playoff currently for the wildcard teams, but as a fan I am more concerned with the regular season than I am the post-season. I would rather see the Reds win the division and be dominant all year than have a mediocre or even losing record, sneak into the playoffs and win the World Series. I am in it for the six months of the regular season, not the quick fix in the playoffs. I also agree with the post earlier about moving the trading deadline up so that the team you are playing with in the playoffs is the team that you have played with the entire year (instead of hired guns). I think one of the biggest problems in baseball is the frequent movement of players from team to team and it is hard for fans to connect with the players.

I like the idea of 32 teams, 8 division winners and go at it. I would go to the balanced schedule and redefine the divisions based on market size. Put the smaller market teams together in a couple of divisions and there might be less tanking as those teams would be able to compete with each other and not have to worry about the Yankees, Dodgers, etc., as the large market teams would be together in a couple of divisions as well. You can't make the divisions based on spending as teams then would tank, but you could base it off of a pre-defined market size criteria.
    I like that. Mega market, major metros, northern industrial, sunbelt, prairies and mountains, and west coast. It’ll be like “Hoosiers” when a small market gets to the finals.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Play 162 games to see which teams don't suck. Then play 4 rounds of glorified coin flips to see which team that doesn't suck should be immensely glorified while all the rest are basically forgotten. Makes sense.

How about this:
    2 Leagues. Play 12 games against each of the other 14 teams in your league. Two 3-game series home and away. Best records in each league play each other in a single "World Series" match up to see who the best team is. Done. That's my ideal playoffs.

Tournaments are fun, I'll grant you. But they're crap for figuring out who the best team is. You should not play for 6 months for a chance to roll dice.
    Who says that the playoffs are for determining the best team?

Once you allowed UFA and the large market teams controlling the best players, you had to allow more playoff teams to allow the small market teams some small chance of succeeding.

The regular season is by far the best way to determine the best team.

The World Series started to determine who was the best between two leagues that never played each other. Once that changed, the point of the World Series disappeared. The playoffs just existed for pure entertainment. That’s how we should see it from now on.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

26. Likes:

BoxingRed (02-11-2020),goreds2 (02-11-2020),REDREAD (02-11-2020)

Turn Off Ads?