Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Joel Sherman: MLB plotting playoff expansion — with reality TV twist

Re: Joel Sherman: MLB plotting playoff expansion — with reality TV twist

the only part of the plan I hated was in regards to a team selecting who they would play in the 3 game series.

2. Likes:

blumj (02-11-2020),Chip R (02-11-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The regular season is by far the best way to determine the best team.

The World Series started to determine who was the best between two leagues that never played each other. Once that changed, the point of the World Series disappeared. The playoffs just existed for pure entertainment. That’s how we should see it from now on.
    I agree. Yet the regular season is not the best way to determine the best team as long as the teams have different schedules...
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

5. Likes:

757690 (02-11-2020),REDREAD (02-11-2020)

With a greater number of teams in contention for a wild card, it would make the trade deadline more interesting.

7. Likes:

DocRed (02-11-2020)

The World Series is meaningless now? A dominant regular season is better than winning it all? Yeah. 2012 people.

What nonsense.

9. Likes:

Crumbley (02-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    The World Series is meaningless now? A dominant regular season is better than winning it all? Yeah. 2012 people.

What nonsense.
    Didn’t say that.

The regular season is a better judge of who the best team is.

The playoffs are an entertaining way to crown a “champion.”
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Didn’t say that.

Nobody is playing to be the “regular season best team.”

They are playing for money first, and to win the World Series next. Nobody cares who is the “best team.” It’s completely irrelevant unless they win the championship. Ask the Baltimore Ravens.

12. Likes:

RedsManRick (02-12-2020)

Trevor Bauer felt the need to make a video on his and put it on YouTube

Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    Nobody is playing to be the “regular season best team.”

They are playing for money first, and to win the World Series next. Nobody cares who is the “best team.” It’s completely irrelevant unless they win the championship. Ask the Baltimore Ravens.
    Yep. It’s like the tigers of 2006-2010 or so. Best team to never win a World Series. They will never be remembered as just the best team.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Trevor Bauer felt the need to make a video on his and put it on YouTube

A lot of that was ranting for the sake of ranting and not giving real ideas, but I appreciate that he cares about the game and he’s right that kids need to see the game, and grow up with the game. If a kid isn’t hooked on baseball by 10 or 11 (maybe younger), it’s never going to happen.

Also, on the lay-off for the top seed, if they end the season on Sunday, they’re playing by Friday, so it may be four days off, but not a full week like Bauer is saying.

And the shoe thing, isn’t that already settled? Every player is wearing whatever color shoe they want now anyway. It’s not wrong for MLB to want some level of uniformity with the brand.
    Last edited by getfoul; 02-11-2020 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It’s like the tigers of 2006-2010 or so. Best team to never win a World Series.
    Highly disagree. Late '70s Red Sox, Yount/Molitor Brewers, '80s Yankees, '90s Indians, Killer B's Astros, the Barry Bonds Giants, early '00s A's, current Dodgers - that's just off the top of my head.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

The only thing I kind of don't like is being able to pick your opponent. Seems a bit anti-competitive for some reason. Everything else I either like or am coming around to. Getting rid of 1 game WC is good. More teams in the playoffs is good especially if you expand to 32. I kind of like the WC playing all games in the higher seeded city. This isn't nearly the advantage it is in football or basketball (only 55% in MLB). I am kinda neutral on the top team advancing to the division series. This isn't unprecedented either as many US Olympic trials sports are already structured this way (i.e. Wrestling).

All of these changes will also make late season games more relevant as well as even teams already in the playoffs will have something to play for as far as seedings go.

18. Likes:

Chip R (02-12-2020),Ron Madden (02-11-2020)

I'm with Bauer on most of his rantings. I think baseball is screwing the pooch in a few ways:

One as Bauer said with the media restrictions kids are getting inundated with other sports far more than baseball. You need to make a kid fall in love with baseball earlier. I understand there is a fine line between the idea that tv is where all the money comes from and loosening some of these restrictions but there has to be some give and take for the good of the longevity of the game. There's so many braves fans today because in the 90's you could turn on tbs and watch the braves wherever you are, same idea.

Two it feels like the commissioner and many of the announcers/media types don't really like baseball as it is. And i'm sure that's more perception than reality, but it's a perception shared by many and I can't help but believe that doesn't influence the casual fan. If the people who should like it the most don't why should the casual fan?

Three changes likely need to be made to the game, as with all things in life you adapt or die, but these changes need to happen while keeping the hard core fan. You don't want to change the product so much for the casual viewer that your most dedicated customer base no longer recognizes or cares about your product. It feels like some of these proposals are leaning that way.

I'm not totally against all aspect of the playoff proposal though I do feel like it waters down the playoff product, will likely stretch the playoff season too long, and I despise the idea of choosing your opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by getfoul View Post
    A lot of that was ranting for the sake of ranting and not giving real ideas, but I appreciate that he cares about the game and he’s right that kids need to see the game, and grow up with the game. If a kid isn’t hooked on baseball by 10 or 11 (maybe younger), it’s never going to happen.

Also, on the lay-off for the top seed, if they end the season on Sunday, they’re playing by Friday, so it may be four days off, but not a full week like Bauer is saying.

And the shoe thing, isn’t that already settled? Every player is wearing whatever color shoe they want now anyway. It’s not wrong for MLB to want some level of uniformity with the brand.
    -Lift the blackout restrictions so people can watch the games
    -Innovate and have more of a social media presence
    -Don't re-jigger the game just to appease fans with short attention spans (3 batter minimum, moving mound back, etc.)

All seem like real ideas to me.

21. Likes:

DocRed (02-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    I am not surprised to see baseball try to expand playoffs with the upcoming TV rights negotiations as more playoffs means more money but this proposal is just too far.

First the whole pick your opponent is just too gimmicky. There is not one sport where teams pick who they face in the playoffs just a dumb idea to create drama with no real purpose.

I also agree 7 teams per league is one too many.

Easy answer 6 teams per league.

Top 2 teams in each league first round bye.

First round 3 game series. Worst record division winner faces worst wild card record and the other series is the other two wild card teams.

Division series are then reseeded after wild card round so best regular season record faces lowest remaining seed from their leagues after wild card round. 2nd best division record faces the higher remaining seed after the wild card.
    I think 6 playoff teams makes more sense than 7. In terms of execution, this strikes me as the optimal way to do it:

- Still make it part of a package with realignment and expansion. For our purposes here, the part to focus on is adding two more teams.
    - If two teams are getting the golden ticket, then divide the leagues into two 8-team divisions. Play the 7 teams in your division 14 times each season and the 8 teams in the other division 8 times (no interleague) and you've got a 162-game schedule. The two division winners get the bye.
    - Keep the one-game format for the wild cards. That's been fantastic since they implemented it. It also prevents the division winners from sitting too long and getting out of sync.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

23. Likes:

Mitri (02-12-2020),REDREAD (02-12-2020)

Didn’t say that.

Playoffs are necessary. They had this figured out in the 19th century. They had 1 league and anywhere from 6 to 12 teams in it. They still had a regular season champion but that team faced off in a best of seven series against the 2nd place team. It was considered an exhibition but the players did get a share of the revenues. That stopped after 1897 and there was no post season series until 1903 when they had the 1st World Series. It was adequate until 1969 when the 1962 and 1969 expansion left each league with 12 teams. It'd be kind of embarrassing to finish in 12th place so they split the leagues up into divisions and the rest is history. There might be some people out there who just want to go back to 1 division per league and they face off in the World Series. Others are fond of the 2 division per league setup with an LCS per league. I liked 1994 when there were 3 divisions and no wild card but that ended badly with the strike. I didn't care for the wild card because once you had one, it's easier to get to 2 then more which has been proven correct although I will give them credit for restraint since it took 17 years to add another wild card.

I think any playoff expansion has to be tied to actual expansion although no one seems to believe there are 2 more cities out there that would be slam-dunk additions. But that's another discussion. If they went to 32 teams, I'd like to see a 4x4 division setup per league with no wild cards. If you are in a 4 team division do you really need a wild card? One of the problems with this proposed playoff expansion is that when you add another playoff series you are getting into November. Not just November 1 but the second week in November. Now it's possible that there wouldn't be any weather issues but we all know how cold it can get in the evenings in the midwest even if it was nice during the day. MIL and AZ are the only teams in the NL where weather won't be a factor. The AL has Tampa, TOR, HOU and SEA. I think TEX's new stadium has a retractable roof too. But when you play baseball in November in the midwest and east and Denver, you're just asking for snow-outs. At the very least you're going to get cold weather games. I know that goes on now but why take a chance? You'll throw the purists a bone with eliminating the wild card(s). I think the bloom is off the rose as far as interleague play goes but every other sport does it so I don't see it going away any time soon. I'd also like to know who approved the pick your opponent idea. Nothing wrong with having an idea like that but that person should have been laughed out of the room. The person or people who approved it should be flogged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

25. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-12-2020)

Turn Off Ads?