Turn Off Ads?

Thread: U.S. charges four Chinese military hackers in 2017 Equifax breach

U.S. charges four Chinese military hackers in 2017 Equifax breach

https://ca.reuters.com/article/techn...BN2041RT-OCATC

"The announcement is the latest in an aggressive campaign by American authorities to root out Chinese espionage operations in the United States. Since turning the spotlight on China in 2018, the U.S. has snared a growing group of Chinese government officials, business people, and academics pursuing American secrets."
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: U.S. charges four Chinese military hackers in 2017 Equifax breach

Off with their heads!

I remember when this happened that I was shocked by Equifax's procedures. Here's an excerpt from an article at the time:

"Brace yourself, because this isn’t going to make pretty reading, especially if you’re a cybersecurity professional. According to the filing in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, Atlanta Division, Equifax was protecting sensitive personal information on a portal used to manage credit disputes with the username “admin.”

And if that wasn’t enough, the password protecting that data was probably the first one an attacker would guess: Yes that’s right, it was also “admin,” according to the lawsuit.

The class action lawsuit calls this “a sure-fire way to get hacked.”

But that is not all. The lawsuit also points out that Equifax was storing unencrypted user data on a public facing server–so it could have been viewed by any attacker who chose to compromise it. Meanwhile, Equifax didn’t encrypt its mobile applications either–and when it did encrypt data, it left the encryption keys on the same public facing servers."
    It's no secret that hackers are everywhere, but they couldn't have made it easier.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-13-2020),Sea Ray (02-11-2020)

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    I remember when this happened that I was shocked by Equifax's procedures. Here's an excerpt from an article at the time:

It's no secret that hackers are everywhere, but they couldn't have made it easier.

What ticks me off is these jokers get to pass judgement on OUR creditworthiness.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

7. Likes:

Chip R (02-12-2020),Kingspoint (02-13-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    What ticks me off is these jokers get to pass judgement on OUR creditworthiness.
    Or that basically all of our information is out there, and we have no ability to really do much about changing it - leaving just about every last one of us extremely vulnerable to identity theft.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Or that basically all of our information is out there, and we have no ability to really do much about changing it - leaving just about every last one of us extremely vulnerable to identity theft.
    One curious thing about this breach is that it doesn't look like the hackers exploited it for identity theft. They didn't sell it or post it, and they just kept going back for more after the discovered the vulnerability. It hasn't show up anywhere, and it almost looks like a trial run for something else they wanted. So, I wouldn't worry to much about this particular case yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    One curious thing about this breach is that it doesn't look like the hackers exploited it for identity theft. They didn't sell it or post it, and they just kept going back for more after the discovered the vulnerability. It hasn't show up anywhere, and it almost looks like a trial run for something else they wanted. So, I wouldn't worry to much about this particular case yet.
    Yes, they have much bigger fish to fry. That said, I had sadly deleted all of my information and emails that had any personal information on it,...an after the fact move, but one in hopes that any reattempts to enter my area will be met with blank information.

I've never used the cloud or a google email or messenger for very good reasons. Nor have I ever done any online banking for very good reasons. Having spent most of my business career in the computer industry dealing with clients from corporations, government and educational institutions and with a computer programming degree as a foundation, I know firsthand who has always been doing what hacking and which types of places are the most vulnerable. What sucks about Equifax, is that it's a company that has everyone's information without anyone ever giving them "knowledgeable" permission to have it.

The Federal Government can fine any company $10K per incident just for leaving someone's social security number exposed in an area where any person can view it who isn't specifically working with it at that moment. Equifax should have been shut down permanently along with all responsible parties, by law, restricted from ever working again in an specific job where they have access to personal information of other people having proved irresponsible and wreckless in their handing of this information on a scale never before seen.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-13-2020 at 06:51 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Equifax should have been shut down permanently along with all responsible parties, by law, restricted from ever working again in an specific job where they have access to personal information of other people having proved irresponsible and wreckless in their handing of this information on a scale never before seen.
    Yep, agree 100%. They weren't even trying to do their job. How they were allowed to continue in business is beyond me.

As for the other stuff, I just wouldn't be able to keep up at work without some cloud services. But I'm careful about who gets my information (you only get it if you can show me you need it, otherwise you get a fake name and address), never give out my phone number outside of businesses that need it, etc. I mean, when you think about it, the government is probably the worst violator out there, and they have everything. It wasn't that long ago in Ohio that our social security numbers were on our drivers licenses, and our actual birthdays are still on out license plates. But, the less information we give other businesses, the better.

For instance, my gf went through an ordeal a couple of years ago. She always went to starbucks in the morning, and this guy was always there. When she ordered, the cashier always asked for her name to write on the cup. He saw which vehicle she got in, and eventually got her birthday from it. So, he knew her name, birth date, and county she lived in, and used some online records to get her last name and address. So what does he do? He starts stalking her and mailing her letters and stuff, and finally shows up at her door. She freaked and he ran off, but she managed to get his license plate number and called the police. I guess they shook him up hard, but he had no history of this and turned out to just be a dumbass. But you have to be careful.

Crazy.

Turn Off Ads?