Turn Off Ads?

Thread: MiLB Farm System rankings...

MiLB Farm System rankings...

These farm system rankings are from MiLB.com. They seem to be breaking the farm systems into two groups - position players and pitchers. This first ranking is for position players. They have Cincinnati ranked 28th out of 30. The rankings will leak out slowly over a week or two, I would imagine. https://www.milb.com/milb/news/farm-...21/c-312651662

Cincinnati dropped 23 spots from last year's top-five ranking for largely two reasons: Nick Senzel graduated and Taylor Trammell was traded away. Senzel spent less than a month in the Minors before climbing to the bigs, while Trammell was dealt to the Padres in a three-team deal that brought Trevor Bauer to Cincinnati. That leaves them with two Top-100 prospects, both of whom are pitchers. Beyond that, infielder Jonathan India projects to make a difference sooner rather than later after being selected in the first round two years ago. Tyler Stephenson stuck the landing on the jump to Double-A, batting .285/.372/.410 while impressing behind the plate. The system also sports significant speed, led by outfielder Michael Siani, who led the Midwest League with 45 steals.

2. Likes:

DocRed (02-11-2020),North (02-11-2020),RED VAN HOT (02-11-2020),REDREAD (02-11-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MiLB Farm System rankings...

Ouch...but not even mentioning Jose Israel Garcia tells me they don't a really strong grasp on all of our positional prospects.

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-13-2020)

We've got a bunch of possibles in lower levels (Siani, Hinds, Callihan, Clementina) but the only real prospects we have position wise are India, TySteve and Garcia. Pretty thin from A+ to AAA. I think its a fair take overall.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    We've got a bunch of possibles in lower levels (Siani, Hinds, Callihan, Clementina) but the only real prospects we have position wise are India, TySteve and Garcia. Pretty thin from A+ to AAA. I think its a fair take overall.
    Fangraphs has four Reds in their top 100. IMO, all four are a bit lower than they should be, but that's definitely a quibble of the scouting system. (All the 50 FV guys are pretty much interchangeable.)

Beyond them, there's a giant chasm of mediocrity. At best. Maybe Naughton finds more stuff. Maybe Santillan finds consistency. Maybe Stuart Fairchild continues to hit like he did in the AFL. (I like this bet, fwiw. He's undervalued by national pundits.)

The good news is that Cincinnati appears to have few holes in need of patching that don't already have some answers.

Relief arms are plentiful (and even better if you account for starters who might be able to move roles). They have Mahle as SP depth-- and DeLeon and Santillan, two former top 100 prospects, behind him. All have talent enough for a look-see. The infield is set for the next few years everywhere but SS (and Garcia's the guy there). Same with catcher and Stephenson. The OF is good to go.

Reds pitchers are ranked #17.

17. Cincinnati Reds

The club is headlined by two Top-100 arms in Hunter Greene and Nick Lodolo, both of whom bring promise to this up-and-coming group. Although Greene missed all of last season following Tommy John surgery, his electric fastball should come back into play and remain a consistent weapon for him on the mound. Lodolo got off to a good start after the Reds drafted him seventh overall last June and he'll begin his first full season as a pro in Spring Training with the big leaguers. Tony Santillan's fastball has always been his out pitch, but he'll continue to look to improve his secondary offerings as he climbs through the upper echelon of the Cincinnati system. Only 20 years old, right-hander Lyon Richardson will get another full season under his belt after averaging nearly a strikeout per inning with Class A Dayton in 2019. It'll be interesting to see if this seemingly top-heavy group can get the most out of the prospects beyond Greene and Lodolo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Fangraphs has four Reds in their top 100. IMO, all four are a bit lower than they should be, but that's definitely a quibble of the scouting system. (All the 50 FV guys are pretty much interchangeable.)

Beyond them, there's a giant chasm of mediocrity. At best. Maybe Naughton finds more stuff. Maybe Santillan finds consistency. Maybe Stuart Fairchild continues to hit like he did in the AFL. (I like this bet, fwiw. He's undervalued by national pundits.)

The good news is that Cincinnati appears to have few holes in need of patching that don't already have some answers.

Relief arms are plentiful (and even better if you account for starters who might be able to move roles). They have Mahle as SP depth-- and DeLeon and Santillan, two former top 100 prospects, behind him. All have talent enough for a look-see. The infield is set for the next few years everywhere but SS (and Garcia's the guy there). Same with catcher and Stephenson. The OF is good to go.
    The Fangraphs list is painful, especially since Jeter Downs, Josiah Gray and TT were all ranked above any Reds prospect. I don't wish to rekindle the debate about whether those trades should have been made, but it tells you how their farm system is perceived.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    The Fangraphs list is painful, especially since Jeter Downs, Josiah Gray and TT were all ranked above any Reds prospect. I don't wish to rekindle the debate about whether those trades should have been made, but it tells you how their farm system is perceived.
    TT still being ranked ahead of the likes of Greene, Lodolo, and even Tyler Stephenson and Garcia just tells me prospect “experts” don’t want to admit they were horribly wrong about TT yet.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-20-2020),Rdirtypirates (02-20-2020),RedlegJake (02-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    TT still being ranked ahead of the likes of Greene, Lodolo, and even Tyler Stephenson and Garcia just tells me prospect “experts” don’t want to admit they were horribly wrong about TT yet.
    I wouldn't say "horribly" wrong but they have him way too high - if I was given my choice of any one guy to jettison of Greene, Lodolo, TySteve, Garcia and Trammel, TT would be the guy to go.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

13. Likes:

BillDoran (02-20-2020),Mitri (02-21-2020)

Turn Off Ads?