Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fangraphs 2020 top 100 Prospects

Re: Fangraphs 2020 top 100 Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    he appears to have been picked too high.
    Yeah, he's not producing well given his age/draft postion. He could turn the corner or just be another Reds first round bust...

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's wild how quickly opinion swings on players.

Last season, in a 145 AA PA, India slashed .270/.414/.378; good for a 138 wRC+. He did this while playing 3B and was nearly two years under league average age.

Again, plenty of room to nitpick India and his performance, but it's baffling to me that this is the time people start jumping off the bandwagon. Last season (AFL appearance aside) was his best statistical year in the minors. Are the pessimistic folks taking their cues solely from the prospect lists?

I don't love him as a prospect, but there's still a relatively high floor and given his college performance some hope that his bat has some magic in it yet.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    It's wild how quickly opinion swings on players.

Last season, in a 145 AA PA, India slashed .270/.414/.378; good for a 138 wRC+. He did this while playing 3B and was nearly two years under league average age.

Again, plenty of room to nitpick India and his performance, but it's baffling to me that this is the time people start jumping off the bandwagon. Last season (AFL appearance aside) was his best statistical year in the minors. Are the pessimistic folks taking their cues solely from the prospect lists?

I don't love him as a prospect, but there's still a relatively high floor and given his college performance some hope that his bat has some magic in it yet.
    The prospect lists are higher on him than a lot of people. He was one of the final cuts from the Baseball America list. He made the top 100 list for ESPN. I think a lot of people are down on him further than those would suggest.

I've gotten plenty of mixed reports on him. And I get both sides of that coin, too. You can definitely see all of the right things if you look for them. But you can also really see some of the warts, too. I keep coming back to this, though: He gets the strikezone but he doesn't do damage. And for me, that's a concern. Is it because he dealt with some things, health wise, throughout the year? It very well could be. But it still leaves the concern.

5. Likes:

HokieRed (03-25-2020),M2 (03-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

I've gotten plenty of mixed reports on him. And I get both sides of that coin, too. You can definitely see all of the right things if you look for them. But you can also really see some of the warts, too. I keep coming back to this, though: He gets the strikezone but he doesn't do damage. And for me, that's a concern. Is it because he dealt with some things, health wise, throughout the year? It very well could be. But it still leaves the concern.
    There lies the problem. Unlike the NFL/NBA where teams know what they're getting when they draft a player, baseball is akin to buying a lottery ticket.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BobRoberts View Post
    There lies the problem. Unlike the NFL/NBA where teams know what they're getting when they draft a player, baseball is akin to buying a lottery ticket.
    The MLB draft is certainly far more risky than the NFL or NBA drafts - but it's probably a stretch to say they now what they're getting when they draft a player. Lots of guys have gone #1, #2, #3 overall in those drafts and become absolute flops. Looking at you, 2006 NBA draft that saw this as the top 5:
    Andrea Bargnani
    LaMarcus Aldridge (NAILED IT)
    Adam Morrison
    Tyrus Thomas
    Sheldon Williams

Or looking at you, Oakland Raiders taking JaMarcus Russell over Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, and Adrian Peterson.

Turn Off Ads?