Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds re-sign Derek Dietrich to minor league contract

Re: Reds re-sign Derek Dietrich to minor league contract

Should be good for flexes and giggles.

Hopefully part of DD's 2nd half issues were injuries.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Nah. Rare Earth In Concert or Neil Diamond Hot August Night guy.
    Maybe a Mary Hopkins concert singing "Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.."
    That was my Mary Hopkins reference for the year. I'll only mention her again when the Reds are back in last place and introducing yet another Pete Rose statue.. (You don't believe there's even a slight possibility I'm lying about not mentioning Mary do you?)

He just wants to celebrate another day of living!
    He just wants to celebrate another day of life!
    Last edited by Shoeless Jeff; 02-13-2020 at 12:12 PM.
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

5. Likes:

Chip R (02-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
    Maybe a Mary Hopkins concert singing "Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.."
    That was my Mary Hopkins reference for the year. I'll only mention her again when the Reds are back in last place and introducing yet another Pete Rose statue.. (You don't believe there's even a slight possibility I'm lying about not mentioning Mary do you?)
    That's Mary Hopkin (no "s" at the end @allpurpose)

At any rate, I love seeing Reds threads with music references in them just to see how many other old guys (and gals) are on this board. Everything from the 80s (Night Ranger) to 70s (Frampton, Rare Earth) and 60s (Mary Hopkin) is in this one. Y'all make my day!

At any rate, good to see Dietrich back again. Agree with the minor league contract and if he's back to being the same guy he was at the beginning of last season he could be a key bench player.

Back to lurking...

.800 OPS and sub-.200 average. Awesome bench depth at GABP
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I view this as a "courtesy" signing. Headed for AAA until he dominates there.
    I don't really see a path to him making the team out of ST outside of a crazy amount of injuries.

9. Likes:

Chip R (02-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    I don't really see a path to him making the team out of ST outside of a crazy amount of injuries.
    Really? Who do you have above him. INF depth is a weak spot of this team.

Though I may be missing somebody that should be on the team. But right now he looks like the best bet for backup INF in the org.

I tend to agree, but he hit .254 over 6 years in Miami. I don't know exactly how he managed .187 last year, but I'd have to think he's closer to his Miami numbers than he is last year's.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Really? Who do you have above him. INF depth is a weak spot of this team.

Though I may be missing somebody that should be on the team. But right now he looks like the best bet for backup INF in the org.
    He's a bad defender at any position he plays. He was really good for a 25-30 game stretch and awful the rest of the reason to the point where he had to be benched. The Reds have plenty other guys that can fill in at 2B and OF when needed and play decent or maybe even slightly above average defense. He could be useful against RH and that's about it. He's been around for about 7 years now and his numbers are what they are and not likely going to get better.

He's a bad defender at any position he plays. He was really good for a 25-30 game stretch and awful the rest of the reason to the point where he had to be benched. The Reds have plenty other guys that can fill in at 2B and OF when needed and play decent or maybe even slightly above average defense. He could be useful against RH and that's about it. He's been around for about 7 years now and his numbers are what they are and not likely going to get better.
    Maybe, but if he were a complete player, he would be starting. Bench players by their nature will have flaws. I could see him and Van Meter as being redundant, but they can keep DD and keep Van Meter as well, in AAA, as more injury depth. Otherwise, I don't see any backup infielder on the roster right now that is better than him, flaws and all. Of course, if Senzel is used as a utility OF/2B/3B guy in addition to other 5 OF's, I could see him missing out.

I guess what I am trying to say is...lefty power off the bench is always welcome. Wouldn't want him in the lineup for any amount of time.

15. Likes:

DocRed (02-13-2020),HammerTime (02-13-2020)

Healthy Dietrich raked last season. It was truly a tale of two hitters.

He's only 30, but probably only got a handful of ST invites. Dude seems to enjoy the MLB lifestyle, so I wouldn't be surprised if he came back relatively hungry to win a spot on somebody's 25-man. He's probably on a 2B/1B/DH/PH at this point, but Diet Rich can hit and is probably a great teammate.

Also, Suarez will likely miss a month to begin the season and we're not sure what they plan on doing with Senzel (or if he'll be ready). That could mean a month of JVM starting at 2B. So basically this is a "show us you're better than VanMeter and we'll give you a spot". I'm all for it.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Healthy Dietrich raked last season. It was truly a tale of two hitters.

He's only 30, but probably only got a handful of ST invites. Dude seems to enjoy the MLB lifestyle, so I wouldn't be surprised if he came back relatively hungry to win a spot on somebody's 25-man. He's probably on a 2B/1B/DH/PH at this point, but Diet Rich can hit and is probably a great teammate.

Also, Suarez will likely miss a month to begin the season and we're not sure what they plan on doing with Senzel (or if he'll be ready). That could mean a month of JVM starting at 2B. So basically this is a "show us you're better than VanMeter and we'll give you a spot". I'm all for it.
    Dietrich kinda reminds one of a LH hitting Sean Rodriguez who played with TBR and PIT for a few seasons.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

18. Likes:

Mitri (02-13-2020)

We should be thrilled with a minor league deal if his numbers "are what they are". He has had 5 different seasons of league average or above hitting. Sure, he's not a good defender anywhere but I'll take a 4 position guy off the bench who hits league average

20. Likes:

Kc61 (02-13-2020)

Don’t quite understand why Van Meter would be preferred over Dietrich.

DD has a much better track record as an MLB hitter, five straight years at 100 OPS+ or better. VM hit only 88 OPS+ last season. Obviously DD has more years, more chances, but he’s proven much more offensively.

Neither is a particularly good fielder. VM played more LF than anywhere else last season.

I guess VM is younger and there’s hope he can be better but a team looking to “win now” might choose the more proven commodity.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-13-2020 at 04:35 PM.

22. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (02-13-2020)

DD has shown the consistent ability to get on base by sacrificing his body. That can be a pretty valuable asset to have coming off the bench late in games when you are down by one.

He had more HBP last season than Iglesias, Peraza, and Puig had walks.
    Last edited by DocRed; 02-13-2020 at 04:33 PM.

24. Likes:

Kc61 (02-13-2020),Old school 1983 (02-13-2020)

Turn Off Ads?