Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: College Baseball 2020

Re: College Baseball 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Sorry SR just saw this...yeah the "Leathernecks" don't have much of a baseball team this year or last. Why oh why did UT schedule them?
    that is the problem for the "casual" college baseball fan....I am not sure who is good and bad in the non-con portion of the schedule unless they are ranked. Baseball is unlike Football and Basketball....as it is common for a major conference school to suck, and teams you barely have heard of like Dallas Baptist or Stetson are often really strong. I recall a kid I graduated with had all these offers from "big schools" and he chose Stetson. I did not get it at the time, but he had a good career there and played with some big time players.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Look at the geography and it will make a lot more sense. School you've never heard of that's located in the north? Probably terrible. School that you've never heard of that's located in the south? Take a longer look...

4. Likes:

Assembly Hall (02-18-2020)

Sorry SR just saw this...yeah the "Leathernecks" don't have much of a baseball team this year or last. Why oh why did UT schedule them?
    You gotta schedule someone non conference.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Look at the geography and it will make a lot more sense. School you've never heard of that's located in the north? Probably terrible. School that you've never heard of that's located in the south? Take a longer look...
    What about the West Coast? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You gotta schedule someone non conference.
    I understand that completely. I suppose Western Illinois fans are asking "Why did we schedule Tennessee?" LOL

What about the West Coast? LOL
    Less so than it used to be. For a time, the Big West was arguably the best conference in college baseball not named the SEC.

^^^I recall hearing about Wichita State Baseball long before their basketball program was making national news. I recall Cal State Fullerton and Rice always having good teams when I was younger. One issue is the scholarships allowed.....teams have nearly 30 players, and limited to 11.5 scholarships. Most guys, if not nearly all are on partial athletic scholarships.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    ^^^I recall hearing about Wichita State Baseball long before their basketball program was making national news. I recall Cal State Fullerton and Rice always having good teams when I was younger. One issue is the scholarships allowed.....teams have nearly 30 players, and limited to 11.5 scholarships. Most guys, if not nearly all are on partial athletic scholarships.
    When I started really watching it in the 80's...Pepperdine seemed like they were always in the mix.

Pepperdine has been pretty weak for a number of years. If you've ever been on Pepperdine's campus, it's hard to imagine them not being amazing at baseball. It's like the campus was build specifically to recruit baseball players. Imagine being outdoors there for the better part of six months! It's enough to make you forget that there's mandatory chapel for undergrads...

12. Likes:

it is in Malibu.....just look at campus! I can't imagine going to college in Malibu! It only costs $50K per year...but after FA, most students only pay a very small amount of around $35K per year. Just looking up tuition, I noticed it is a Christian affiliated school....never knew that.

Last edited by adkindo; 02-18-2020 at 11:30 AM.

When I started really watching it in the 80's...Pepperdine seemed like they were always in the mix.
    are there any schools above the mason dixon line that are traditional powerhouses in baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    are there any schools above the mason dixon line that are traditional powerhouses in baseball?
    Oregon State

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Oregon State
    is the Mason Dixon line infinite like a goal line?

Well Michigan made it to the final last yr.

19. Likes:

Definitely not a traditional power, though.

Turn Off Ads?