Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Trevor Bauer: An American Hero

Prognosis...Negative StRedlegs900's Avatar

Re: Trevor Bauer: An American Hero

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    This year vs last year Bauer are in different stratospheres. Makes me kinda wonder whether he was just mentally checked out after the trade last year.
    He doesn't really seem to be the type to just decide to mentally check out - being how cerebral of a pitcher he is. I thought I read that he voiced dealing with some injuries most of last year, which probably contributed - but it could have been a multitude of factors.

Regardless, this year he seems to be right back to where he left off in 2018 - at least to this point.

Pretty wild that the Reds have possible front-runners for both NL Cy Young AND NL MVP on their team, yet still have struggled mightily as a collective. If the other guys can just play to even 80-90% of the levels that their history dictates, then I could see a huge win streak coming. Fingers crossed.

2. Likes:

Just Sayin (08-30-2020),Old school 1983 (08-15-2020),Ron Madden (08-08-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Bauer leading the NL in the following categories...

ERA WHIP ERA+ SO/9 SO H9 CG SHO GS W-L%

Ho hum..

5. Likes:

CrackerJack (08-09-2020),Just Sayin (08-30-2020),M2 (08-09-2020),Ron Madden (08-08-2020),Roy Tucker (08-08-2020)

This year vs last year Bauer are in different stratospheres. Makes me kinda wonder whether he was just mentally checked out after the trade last year.
    I think he was gassed.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-15-2020),Tom Servo (08-09-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Just read elsewhere that Bauer’s spin rate is up 400 RPM this year vs last year, which is the biggest jump in spin rate in the league

Also make of it what you will, but he apparently also said a couple years ago he could improve his spin rate by that very same amount if he used bullfrog to grip the ball.

9. Likes:

Just Sayin (08-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Just read elsewhere that Bauer’s spin rate is up 400 RPM this year vs last year, which is the biggest jump in spin rate in the league

Also make of it what you will, but he apparently also said a couple years ago he could improve his spin rate by that very same amount if he used bullfrog to grip the ball.
    There is no doubt about the spin rate.

He has been very outspoken for years about competing on a level playing field and how much spin rate effects outcomes for pitchers. Much to the scorn and derision of many I might add. He clearly decided that if the Comissioner's office isn't going to enforce the rules then there is no other way but to use "stickey" to level it. Because he is the one that laid out exactly how much it effects spin rates and outcomes publicly by the use of it. And the profile of what we see in his the last few starts in '19, combined with the first three starts in '20, fit his own profile of "stickey stuff" use to a tee.

Hats off to Bauer, because I suspect one of these days soon we will be hearing a lot more about this, when someone in the press opens the door for him to step into it, by questioning or publishing an article about those very spin rates and his resultant FB success this year.

11. Likes:

Just Sayin (08-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post

Lots of substances out there besides BullFrog, Monds.

I think that was an example Bauer used for wide scale understanding of how "stickey" applies to baseball. Bauer was last seen experimenting with Pelican Grip Dip this last off season on an HBO sports segment while training up in Seattle. But some kind of Spider stuff seems to be the current rage with pitchers. I think the "code name" came from Spider Man and his use of "stickey" to latch on to things.

I wonder if the candid Bauer will fess up supposing he is getting some help with his spin rate. He took quite a few shots at the “substance” guys. I certainly don’t blame him if he has changed , it’s a harmless, unenforced rule.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I wonder if the candid Bauer will fess up supposing he is getting some help with his spin rate. He took quite a few shots at the “substance” guys. I certainly don’t blame him if he has changed , it’s a harmless, unenforced rule.
    I suspect he will in a non direct way.

Because his whole point all along has been => it makes for an uneven playing field. So legalize it or enforce it. And I suspect that he has not wavered from there. So will he come out and say he did straight up - probably not as that would simply give the commissioner the obvious ammo to unevenly try and enforce the rules. But I suspect he won't deny it also. He will somehow make a point about how "stickey" effects outcomes and decide for yourself.

It isn't a harmless rule. For those that don't do it, they are forced into lower contracts and have a harder time keeping their jobs. For those that do it - they break the rules as written and get rewarded for it with bigger contracts and no problem keeping their jobs. Sound like anything we have seen in the past ????

Quote Originally Posted by jup View Post
    I suspect he will in a non direct way.

Because his whole point all along has been => it makes for an uneven playing field. So legalize it or enforce it. And I suspect that he has not wavered from there. So will he come out and say he did straight up - probably not as that would simply give the commissioner the obvious ammo to unevenly try and enforce the rules. But I suspect he won't deny it also. He will somehow make a point about how "stickey" effects outcomes and decide for yourself.

It isn't a harmless rule. For those that don't do it, they are forced into lower contracts and have a harder time keeping their jobs. For those that do it - they break the rules as written and get rewarded for it with bigger contracts and no problem keeping their jobs. Sound like anything we have seen in the past ????
    It’s harmless in the sense that there shouldn’t be a rule. (Maybe one to prevent extreme stuff but as is - tacky substances are a good thing)

16. Likes:

jup (08-09-2020)

Was watching Baueroutage videos on youtube and apparently the guy actually does test his blood after a game. He mentioned he uses a Refletron machine. Not exactly sure how I feel about that...but I was certainly surprised by this. I wonder who actually draws his blood? Who does he get to interpret the results?

I looked through the actual lab tests you can run through and it does include CK (creatine kinase a measure of muscle breakdown) which might be useful. Potassium and creatine levels could be useful as well if interpreted by a medical professional that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VBZhkwB6uE

https://diagnostics.roche.com/global...tron-plus.html

http://photos.labwrench.com/equipmen...11023-6349.pdf

He also mentioned he was 264 on the morning of his last test on a start day or a 100 points higher than he normally is on start days. I would assume this is CK which the normal levels are 22-198.

The videos are quite insightful into what players are going thru this year BTW and highly recommended.
    Last edited by DocRed; 08-15-2020 at 08:27 PM.

18. Likes:

Always Red (08-15-2020),Just Sayin (08-30-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

There was a "day in the life" video he did at some point in the last two months and he shows that he actually does his own bloodwork, using a finger prick like a diabetic would. He doesn't get much into it beyond showing the machine, him pricking his finger - but if you wanted to get a better look at it, it's the day in the life video.

20. Likes:

Just Sayin (08-30-2020)

Bauer goes after Boras again because Boras doesn't like Trevor opening up about the covid testing on social media. Senzel is back to being his client if I recall correctly.
    https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/...f-and-his-ego/

22. Likes:

Bob Sheed (08-16-2020),DocRed (08-16-2020),Just Sayin (08-30-2020)

Have to say, I like Bauer calling out Boras. It amuses me and it obviously makes Boras uncomfortable.

24. Likes:

757690 (08-17-2020),Bob Sheed (08-16-2020),DocRed (08-16-2020),RedlegJake (08-16-2020)

Good overall article about the state of MLB today including a tidbit about Bauer about half way down and his increased spin rates...the implications by Passan are clear.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...t-2020-battles

Good overall article about the state of MLB today including a tidbit about Bauer about half way down and his increased spin rates...the implications by Passan are clear.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...t-2020-battles
    Bauer's buddy Passan, they go back a ways. Good article

And Passan treated Bauer VERY WELL in the article. Made Bauer's point for him once again.

When Bauer did "sticky stuff" in the first inning in Cleveland a few years back against the Rangers, the strangest thing happened. A few reporters, had a story or something up the very next morning (read Passan, Sarris and Sawchick, I believe) wondering if Bauer's unusual jump in spin rates in the first inning were tied to anything. Like they sat around and monitored spin rates on a nightly basis for all major league games to look for unusual developments. You know, kind of like a cop with a radar gun checking out cars for speeding. Just can't imagine how they seemed to know so quickly or which game to look at.

There is no doubt what is going on. Bauer put it out there for the last few years. Level the playing field by changing the rule. Because if you don't, and you don't enforce the rule, it is a huge advantage. Clearly he has chosen to level the field for himself, given the league is not going to do anything about it. And it is no surprise that the piece in Passan's article about Bauer treated TB very well.
    Last edited by jup; 08-18-2020 at 02:04 AM.

Turn Off Ads?