Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: Trevor Bauer: An American Hero

Re: Trevor Bauer: An American Hero

Quote Originally Posted by jwdoc77 View Post
    Hoffmann actually didn’t do badly yesterday...it was the bullpen that got lit up. I also think it is a fair question. If Bauer is to be believed that the only way to increase spin rate is by un natural means...than the first domino falling in this witch hunt being the guy who won a cy young with a team that calls them self “spincinnati”...is that going to have an effect on any of the pitchers we have here? In other words, if our guys are using goop to get top spin and have to stop...are we going to see that advantage go away?
    Call me crazy, but I think throwing 82 pitches in 4.1 innings while giving up 6 hits and 3 walks is pretty bad.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Call me crazy, but I think throwing 82 pitches in 4.1 innings while giving up 6 hits and 3 walks is pretty bad.
    You’re correct...for some reason I was thinking the 5 run 5th was mostly credited to Perez. If my memory isn’t too off, he was doing alright until things came undone at that point.

That still ignores the larger question in that if they are going to crack down on illegal substances is it going to hurt the reds staff which is largely built around high spin rate guys? How is that not a valid point to wonder?

You’re correct...for some reason I was thinking the 5 run 5th was mostly credited to Perez. If my memory isn’t too off, he was doing alright until things came undone at that point.

That still ignores the larger question in that if they are going to crack down on illegal substances is it going to hurt the reds staff which is largely built around high spin rate guys? How is that not a valid point to wonder?
    This is MLB on a witch hunt against Bauer nothing more. He constantly calls out MLB higher ups and this is their petty payback. Has any other Red been accused? It would be the first I heard of it. Just because they got a catchy nickname like spincinnati doesn't mean they are cheating. If they are it has little to do with Bauer and something MLB must prove which will be near impossible. Because Bauer got balls tossed out of play has absolutely zero to do with the Reds pitching the last two days. You said the last two days of bad pitching correlated to Bauer getting balls changed out, don't change the goal post and change it to how the new rule effects the Reds pitching.
    Last edited by Thisyear; 04-11-2021 at 11:27 PM.

My first thought was this is all part of Bauer’s plan. He has complained for years about foreign substances as the only way to increase spin rate. He claims he’s done all the studies. To prove points he used them for one inning to show the increased his spin rate. MLB did nothing. No regulation at all. So he went out and used them the last year full time and voila, his highest spin rates. It’s almost like he is willing to take the fall to try to prove a point to either ban them and regulate it or make them legal.
    I think you may have something there. If he gets nailed for using a foreign substance he'll be suspended for 1 or 2 games. And you can bet he's going to raise holy hell about it. He may even sue.

A few years ago I heard that the foreign substance du jour was sunscreen. I don't know if it's still being used but I would think it's hard to nail someone for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

6. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think you may have something there. If he gets nailed for using a foreign substance he'll be suspended for 1 or 2 games. And you can bet he's going to raise holy hell about it. He may even sue.

A few years ago I heard that the foreign substance du jour was sunscreen. I don't know if it's still being used but I would think it's hard to nail someone for that.
    Spray Sunscreen mixed with Rosin was the first thing you really heard about. Pitchers arms were really shiny for awhile. Now it sounds like they have all kinds of concoctions cooked up.

8. Likes:

Chip R (04-14-2021)

Lance McAlister
    @LanceMcAlister
    Trevor Bauer has a 1.99 ERA over his last 17 starts.
    (Reds 11/Dodgers 6).
    His teams are 9-8 in those starts.

Almost getting to DeGrom levels of support!
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

11. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-30-2021)

Turn Off Ads?