Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Trevor Bauer: An American Hero

Re: Trevor Bauer: An American Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Dusty Baker urges MLB to protect Astros from beanballs
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...mpression=true
    This should be pretty much business as usual for the Astros; they'll know exactly what pitch is coming.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (02-17-2020),Bob Sheed (02-16-2020),Chip R (02-18-2020),Edd Roush (02-15-2020),Humberto (02-15-2020),Joeyjection19 (02-15-2020),M2 (02-15-2020),membengal (02-15-2020),Old school 1983 (02-16-2020),Ron Madden (02-15-2020),Roy Tucker (02-15-2020),stein1214 (02-16-2020),texasdave (02-15-2020),The Operator (02-15-2020),wlf WV (02-17-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Well, he's not a hero, but most of the time what he says, I agree with...especially this rant. He's right on and my respect for him went way up after this particular rant.

5. Likes:

George Anderson (02-16-2020),wlf WV (02-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Oh, and he’s also dead on with regard to MLB’s ridiculous prohibition on social media posting of highlights etc. he’s right that the NBA is light years ahead on that front.
    I honestly believe it’s one of the big things holding them back from reaching younger fans. It’s insane they still do it. The NBA has benefited greatly from it.

7. Likes:

M2 (02-15-2020),membengal (02-15-2020),Ron Madden (02-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Wow. The American hero part was a joke. I didn’t realize that needed clarification.
    I thought it was obvious it was hyperbole. Geesh everyone.

I'm waiting for Pete Rose to comment on Bauer's take so we can really have fun with this thread

10. Likes:

Chip R (02-18-2020),cincinnati chili (02-16-2020),Yachtzee (02-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    This is how I feel.

IMO, the Astros found a way for their hitters to get an edge and all these pitchers are whining about it. Yet pitchers have been getting away with doctoring the ball and throwing at guys heads for decades. They just don't like it because somebody turned the tables.

I'm over judging morality. We don't know anything about these guys. We don't know who did what and who didn't in any area. All we know is what we see on the field. My guess is what the Astros did is fairly common throughout the game. Some teams are just making noise because they are pissed the Astros beat them. I feel the same way about Steroids. Everybody in the era was doing it, but not everybody was able to do what Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens did.

Everybody should shut up and play ball. This is being reported like it's teh Manson Murders or something. Its more like going 65 in a 50. There are too many networks with nothing to talk about, so this goes on and on. 30 years ago, this story would already be dead.
    I don’t think it’s even quite a matter of morality exactly. It is a game and it doesn’t involve real harm even if cheating is involved. No one’s life is on the line. But having said that, rules exist. Against sign-stealing, using substances, and traveling over 65. We can argue that everyone does it, and that may indeed be true. I don’t know. But if you get caught, you don’t have the luxury of saying, Well everyone else does it. If you don’t want to get caught, you ALWAYS have the option of not breaking the rules.

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-16-2020),Rolando (02-15-2020),texasdave (02-15-2020),wlf WV (02-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I don’t think it’s even quite a matter of morality exactly. It is a game and it doesn’t involve real harm even if cheating is involved. No one’s life is on the line. But having said that, rules exist. Against sign-stealing, using substances, and traveling over 65. We can argue that everyone does it, and that may indeed be true. I don’t know. But if you get caught, you don’t have the luxury of saying, Well everyone else does it. If you don’t want to get caught, you ALWAYS have the option of not breaking the rules.
    I agree. They got caught and punishment was given. I just don't understand all the outrage. It's not like this is the only time anyone ever cheated. Pitchers do it every game. Doctoring he ball and throwing at guys heads to get an advantage. Now its like they are all playing innocent and outraged because some hitters got one over on them. It's over. The Astros were the best cheaters and won the world series, Though I'd argue that it didn't change things much.

Everyone is coming out and saying they knew they were cheating. Why didn't any of those other teams do something about it? Change the signs. File a complaint and ask for an investigation. It must not have been that big a deal at the time but now its being treated like its a capital crime and was the sole factor in the Astros winning. Sounds like whining to me. Move on and play ball.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I agree. They got caught and punishment was given. I just don't understand all the outrage. It's not like this is the only time anyone ever cheated. Pitchers do it every game. Doctoring he ball and throwing at guys heads to get an advantage. Now its like they are all playing innocent and outraged because some hitters got one over on them. It's over. The Astros were the best cheaters and won the world series, Though I'd argue that it didn't change things much.

Everyone is coming out and saying they knew they were cheating. Why didn't any of those other teams do something about it? Change the signs. File a complaint and ask for an investigation. It must not have been that big a deal at the time but now its being treated like its a capital crime and was the sole factor in the Astros winning. Sounds like whining to me. Move on and play ball.
    Yeah, I think in part that fans get more outraged by cheating than the players and teams. Why? Well, no one wants to blow the whistle and snitch. It’s a male thing, a masculinity thing. And moreover, spilling the beans on the other guy could expose the cheating they themselves are doing. It’s a code of silence, just like the steroid thing.

I’m kind of fond of fans having a hand in exposing this. There’s no internal affairs in MLB. Let the fans expose them. It’s pretty cool to me.

15. Likes:

GAC (02-16-2020),M2 (02-15-2020),Old school 1983 (02-16-2020),Rolando (02-15-2020),wlf WV (02-17-2020)

Two more teams that went to the World Series:

"McGraw use to station a man with a pair of binoculars in the window of the Polo Grounds clubhouse which was in a cut-out in deep center-field. The clubhouse man had only to lower or raise the blinds in the single the upcoming pitch

Cleveland had a long history of scoreboard espionage, or man in the scoreboard was the son of the groundskeeper, the sign was passed by covering one of the scoreboard openings with either a white or a dark card, depending on the type of pitch being delivered."

Bill Veeck ~Veeck as in Wreck

Personally I'm not surprised, I find the sanctimony annoyingly overbearing myself.

17. Likes:

mth123 (02-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Two more teams that went to the World Series:

"McGraw use to station a man with a pair of binoculars in the window of the Polo Grounds clubhouse which was in a cut-out in deep center-field. The clubhouse man had only to lower or raise the blinds in the single the upcoming pitch

Cleveland had a long history of scoreboard espionage, or man in the scoreboard was the son of the groundskeeper, the sign was passed by covering one of the scoreboard openings with either a white or a dark card, depending on the type of pitch being delivered."

Bill Veeck ~Veeck as in Wreck

Personally I'm not surprised, I find the sanctimony annoyingly overbearing myself.
    I think the Astros owner is making things worse by having that silly press conference the other day and making all them silly comments he made. He just leaving the door open. People are going to feel the way they feel they cheated to win the world series that's the way it is. They are still the 2017 world champions if people want to question that that's their business. The Astros got to realize that there's always going to be questions and they just got to move on from it
    Crazy Reds Fan

19. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-16-2020)

Sign stealing is baked into the game. If a player is good at it, he gets praised. That said, the level to which the Astros automated it is the issue.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

21. Likes:

GAC (02-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    I think the Astros owner is making things worse by having that silly press conference the other day and making all them silly comments he made. He just leaving the door open. People are going to feel the way they feel they cheated to win the world series that's the way it is. They are still the 2017 world champions if people want to question that that's their business. The Astros got to realize that there's always going to be questions and they just got to move on from it
    I agree about the press conference. These guys are ball players and not public speakers. In Altuve's case it isn't even his native language, yet we pick apart every word and gesture like its the most important meaningful revelation of what happened. These guys were rehearsed and stiff and I'm sure had a serious case of nerves. It was a terrible position to put these guys in. Putting a rehearsed spin on stuff is a job for an experienced PR person.

Making a big deal out of what they said is another case of over blowing everything. Too many sports networks and foofs on TV that need something to talk about and not much else is really going on this time of year, so these guys fan the flames for lack of anything newsworthy to discuss.

I think the more natural setting in the clubhouse was more meaningful. There was remorse, but I'd guess that a lot of it was because they got exposed.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

If you don't like Trevor Bauer, you probably also complain about saggy baseball pants, crooked hats and any other type of non-conformism.

Get with the times you prudes!

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    If you don't like Trevor Bauer, you probably also complain about saggy baseball pants, crooked hats and any other type of non-conformism.

Get with the times you prudes!
    I don't really have an opinion about Bauer or any of these guys other than what they do on the field. If Bauer pitches like he did in 2018, I'll love him. If he pitches like he did in 2019, I'll hate him. Beyond that, I could give a rip about his tweets, chirps or comments. They don't really have any relevance to my life. I love Baseball, but if we never heard or read any public comments from a player again, I wouldn't miss it.

25. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-15-2020),WrongVerb (02-15-2020)

Everyone is coming out and saying they knew they were cheating. Why didn't any of those other teams do something about it? Change the signs. File a complaint and ask for an investigation. .
    Umm, numerous teams did exactly what you’re saying they should have done. They contacted MLB. Filed complaints. Asked for help.

Manfred sat on his hands and did squat. It took a former Astro going on record to finally get Manfred off his butt to take action and even then, yes, it was a slap on the wrist.

The whole “I don’t even think it helped that much” line people are growing out there is comical to me.

If it didn’t help, they wouldn’t have gone to such effort to do it. Having advanced knowledge of the pitch is an insanely huge advantage. It allows you to either sell out on a fastball or wait back and clobber an off speed pitch. Did you see the home/away splits for several Astros during the 2017 series?

8 of their 11 victories were at home during the 2017 postseason. It impacted outcomes. I can’t believe that’s even up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

27. Likes:

Chip R (02-18-2020),M2 (02-15-2020),wlf WV (02-17-2020)

Turn Off Ads?