Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Trevor Bauer: An American Hero

Haunted by walks

Re: Trevor Bauer: An American Hero

I have a hunch we’d be less forgiving here if Clint Hurdle’s Pirates were doing it to the Reds.

2. Likes:

DocRed (02-15-2020),Falls City Beer (02-15-2020),texasdave (02-15-2020),The Operator (02-15-2020),wally post (02-16-2020),wlf WV (02-17-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I have a hunch we’d be less forgiving here if Clint Hurdle’s Pirates were doing it to the Reds.
    This is correct. I’m not outraged. I’m not gonna go on a rant. But rules exist—usually—for a reason. I’m not naive, but I do believe you either have rules or abandon them entirely and turn MLB into WWE. I don’t think you can split the rules baby like a lot of folks here seem to want to. I think you have to choose what kind of game you want—MLB or WWE—then enforce accordingly.

5. Likes:

M2 (02-15-2020),texasdave (02-15-2020),wlf WV (02-17-2020)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ice-their-own/

“I don’t think it’s going to be a comfortable few at-bats for a lot of those boys, and it shouldn’t be,” Cleveland Indians pitcher Mike Clevinger said last month.

“I would lean towards yes,” Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Ross Stripling told reporters Friday when asked if he would hit an Astros batter on purpose if given the chance. “In the right time and the right place. …Yeah, it would be on my mind.”

Such talk bothered new Astros manager Dusty Baker enough that he made a preemptive plea to MLB to protect his players.

“I’m depending on the league to try to put a stop to the seemingly premeditated retaliation that I’m hearing about,” Baker said Saturday. “In most instances in life, you get kind of reprimanded when you have premeditated anything. I’m just hoping that the league puts a stop to this before somebody gets hurt. …It’s not good for the game. It’s not good for kids to see it. I think both stop the comments and also stop something before it happens.”

Jose Altuve's ribs have been placed on the endangered species list.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

cincinnati chili (02-16-2020),JFLegal (02-15-2020),Larkin90 (02-15-2020),Norm Chortleton (02-15-2020),texasdave (02-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'm waiting for Pete Rose to comment on Bauer's take so we can really have fun with this thread
    swing and a miss, strike one.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Jose Altuve's ribs have been placed on the endangered species list.
    the players should behind-the-scenes get together and chip in for any fines levied against pitchers who light up some astros' batters.

11. Likes:

M2 (02-15-2020),Old school 1983 (02-17-2020)

I would hope that MLB lets this take it’s course. Altuve, Bregman, and another Astro or two takes a fastball to the butt, they run down to first, and everyone continues on. No benches empty, MLB doesn’t suspend anyone, and everyone says ok. I would think things would settle down back to baseball pretty quick.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Until Houston’s pitchers retaliate to “protect their guys.”

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I would hope that MLB lets this take it’s course. Altuve, Bregman, and another Astro or two takes a fastball to the butt, they run down to first, and everyone continues on. No benches empty, MLB doesn’t suspend anyone, and everyone says ok. I would think things would settle down back to baseball pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    the players should behind-the-scenes get together and chip in for any fines levied against pitchers who light up some astros' batters.
    They can all it the "Trevor Bauer Swear Jar"

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Sign stealing is baked into the game. If a player is good at it, he gets praised. That said, the level to which the Astros automated it is the issue.
    Yep. Its came a long way from a kid looking through a hole in the scoreboard with binoculars. Pretty sophisticated.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Or how about if the Reds finally make it to the WS, then lose, then later find out the opponent was cheating. Then the commish does little to nothing about it. Then the cheating players all have a "sorry but not sorry" press conference.

Everyone here still have their olive branches out at that point?
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-17-2020),Griffey012 (02-16-2020),HammerTime (02-16-2020),HeatherC1212 (02-19-2020),Old school 1983 (02-17-2020),smixsell (02-16-2020),texasdave (02-16-2020),The Operator (02-16-2020),Todd Gack (02-16-2020),wally post (02-16-2020),wlf WV (02-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Or how about if the Reds finally make it to the WS, then lose, then later find out the opponent was cheating. Then the commish does little to nothing about it. Then the cheating players all have a "sorry but not sorry" press conference.

Everyone here still have their olive branches out at that point?
    Our fans would be even more vocal than LA/NY.

19. Likes:

texasdave (02-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Yep. Its came a long way from a kid looking through a hole in the scoreboard with binoculars. Pretty sophisticated.
    Speaking of signs. It's too bad that catchers and managers are so much better at calling games than pitchers are. For some reason? Otherwise, wouldn't need signs in the first place.

1B coaches. Why? ("good job getting that hit, Timmy")
    3B coaches have one job. Many times they can't even do that one correctly.
    Bench coaches. What exactly do they do again?

Hitting and pitching coaches are the only coaches that even seem remotely useful.

Seems like a bunch of middle aged dudes just trying to stay in the game to me.

Maybe now is the time to bring in the robot umps. Hire surveillance to keep on the lookout for cheating. Get rid of signs entirely. Let the players decide what they want to do. Eliminate pointless old dude coaches. I Was against robot umps but if they made all of these changes, I think I'd be on board, and I think baseball would be better off for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Our fans would be even more vocal than LA/NY.
    Maybe more drunken woos...
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Speaking of signs. It's too bad that catchers and managers are so much better at calling games than pitchers are. For some reason? Otherwise, wouldn't need signs in the first place.

1B coaches. Why?
    3B coaches have one job. Many times they can't even do that one correctly.
    Bench coaches. What exactly do they do again?

Hitting and pitching coaches are the only coaches that even seem remotely useful.

Seems like a bunch of middle aged dudes just trying to stay in the game to me.

Maybe now is the time to bring in the robot umps. Hire surveillance to keep on the lookout for cheating. Get rid of signs entirely. Let the players decide what they want to do. Eliminate pointless old dude coaches. I Was against robot umps but if they made all of these changes, I think I'd be on board, and I think baseball would be better off for it.
    The catcher needs to know what is coming regardless of who is calling the type of pitch, right?

22. Likes:

919191 (02-19-2020),alwaysawarrior (02-17-2020),GAC (02-17-2020),westofyou (02-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    The catcher needs to know what is coming regardless of who is calling the type of pitch, right?
    That's a good point. I wonder how they could both be on the same page without using signs. Someone earlier mentioned earpieces for both. I would think pitchers would find that terribly distracting.

Turn Off Ads?