Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Trevor Bauer: An American Hero

Re: Trevor Bauer: An American Hero

Quote Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
    To me this whole thing, and not just the sign stealing scandal, but the downsizing of the minor leagues and so on feels like what's going on is a bunch of trillionaire team owners are actively trying to cash in, make a few trillion more and let baseball itself just die off. I know it's not exactly that, but it sure feels like it to me. It's as if they're saying, "We got our trillions so the hell with every little kid or family who might want to go to the ball game. The only thing WE care about is our trillions."
    Perhaps my my failed perception, I don't know, but when all the small towns are left out and ONLY the big cities with the billions of dollars invested in stadium deals seem to have any interest all the little towns are left on the outside looking in with no chance for residents of say, Billings (for example) to ever watch minor league baseball again the entire concept of baseball is turned into one big mega money making scheme for a handful who belong to the trillionaire club. Screw everyone else. Baseball dies a slow, agonizing death.
    It's just business as usual for them, give this a read you can see it over and over again

Lords of the Realm: The Real History of Baseball

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    The catcher needs to know what is coming regardless of who is calling the type of pitch, right?
    You'd think.

The game can't get rid of signs entirely. It's a strategic instrument, useful tool, woven into the game. Game-time strategy isn't static. Just the opposite. Communication, being on the same page, offensively/defensively, wherever on that playing field, is key. While the elements of a "thinking man's" game and strategy has always existed in the game - it's place (influence) in today's game has become far more central with analytics. It's the little things. IMO, it's a chess game on that field with "pieces".

One of the issues that pee'd me off with the Reds over these last few years has been the simply terrible base-running (blunders) and bad decisions made. You have to be on the same page as the manager.

If they can devise/implement a sophisticated system to steal signs? ... then why can't they develop one to protect them? Stay one step ahead of the hackers. LOL

Maybe they need the communication technology used in a QB's helmet? Or a Dick Tracy wrist radio

But that, may also create problems, further complicate things.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Any technology can be defeated. Hi def cameras can see what button gets pushed, they read lips, scan the electromagnetic spectrum around the catcher or pitcher, you can hack the servers or comm channels, etc etc.

If you think your technology will be a foolproof solution, you will be sadly mistaken. It just depends on how determined your adversary is.
    I think you can cross lip reading off the list (lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y705gpd-ws
    Last edited by GAC; 02-17-2020 at 04:45 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Red X View Post
    Am I the only person that legit doesnt care about what the Astros did?

I just believe that at this point everyone in professional sports is always trying to get an advantage. Some manage to not get caught, some do, but at that level I just have a standing opinion that they are all trying to do something.

I dunno maybe its also because the Reds were not really effected so I dont feel like, as a fan, I was screwed. I also dislike the Yankees so i dont care what happens to them haha.
    I don't really care about it to a certain point. Now we're being drowned in talk-radio and ESPN going on and on about the Astros. Is anyone really naïve (or just plain stupid) to think that the Astros are the only team smart enough to come up with a cheating system using TV or other kind of electronic devices?

The Red Sox are being investigated. You think the Red Sox did something and the Yankees didn't. If them then why not the Phillies, Nationals, or Cody Bellinger and his Dodgers.

Trevor Bauer: An American Hero

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

Lol! “Sure, I’ll do it...”

Just saw the Yankee cotton uniform episode the other day. With Sienfeld you know what is coming, and you still can’t stop laughing...

7. Likes:

GAC (02-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by matt2112 View Post
    I don't really care about it to a certain point. Now we're being drowned in talk-radio and ESPN going on and on about the Astros. Is anyone really naïve (or just plain stupid) to think that the Astros are the only team smart enough to come up with a cheating system using TV or other kind of electronic devices?

The Red Sox are being investigated. You think the Red Sox did something and the Yankees didn't. If them then why not the Phillies, Nationals, or Cody Bellinger and his Dodgers.
    Doesn't matter if the Astros are the only one, they're giving a textbook example of how to take a bad situation and make it worse.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

Chip R (02-18-2020),Rolando (02-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Doesn't matter if the Astros are the only one, they're giving a textbook example of how to take a bad situation and make it worse.

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-19-2020),GAC (02-18-2020),M2 (02-17-2020)

But they aren’t the only one. I believe both they Red Sox and Yankees were fined in 2017 for stealing signs. If I recall correctly it’s what caused that memo to go out that never made it off the GMs desk in Houston.

Now the Red Sox are being investigated again. This isn’t limited to just the Astros. I’m going to be it’s more common place then we as fans realize it’s just a matter of how much of it is with technology that’s the question.

Vacating a title huge. I can understand being worried about a slippery slope that could cause for past and future situations. Also knowing unions I feel confident that most if not all players would have gotten out of or had their suspensions severely reduced because they wouldn’t have the amount of evidence without the players. You’re also negotiating with the Union first not the players so only offering certain players immunity wouldn’t have worked.

Could you imagine the outrage if they had not punished anyone because they didn’t have the evidence. Or perhaps punished some players and it got wiped away before the start of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Red X View Post
    But they aren’t the only one.
    Meant to say "aren't" in my post. Point is, even if all 30 teams have been doing it, the Astros are going out of their way to convince everyone they can't be punished enough. Like, just in case the initial scandal didn't stick in some people's craws, they're making sure everybody hates them.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

Chip R (02-18-2020)

Exactly. Yeah, everyone cheats. But they really put their best foot forward. If it wasn't for the fact it was cheating you almost want to tip your hat to them for such a well organization, sophisticated system. But now you've gone too far. You flew too close to the sun Icarus. Their "greed" though gave baseball another black eye that the hierarchy has to maneuver through, and will be a subject of conversation, giving guys like Brennaman and Buck something to talk about while we're watching a game.

If MLB doesn't put the hammer down now, then what's to stop another organization from taking it a step further, improving on it?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

I'd say Morse Code or bring in Navajo Codetalkers. It's a thing of the past and no one will bother trying to learn it.

everyone cheats.
    Really?
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Everyone does not cheat.

But within sports and outside of it in the real world, it sure seems like it these days.

Money = cheat with zero consequences.
    Everyone else, better walk that straight line or the hammer's coming down.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Mark Bowman
    @mlbbowman
    ·
    49m
    Markakis on the Astros: “I know how hard this game is and I know how hard preparing for this game is. To see something like that is damaging to baseball. It’s anger. I feel every single guy over there deserves a beating.”
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-18-2020),M2 (02-18-2020)

Paul Byrd
    @PaulByrd36
    ·
    1h
    “I’m angry! It’s wrong. I’ve played my whole career clean and the right way. I’m hurt by it. And I’m disappointed with the way things have been handled by #MLB. Those guys still get to play. It’s Bull&$!t!” - Nick Markakis on addressing the #Astros Scandal
    @FOXSportsBraves

22. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-18-2020)

Turn Off Ads?